How many times a year do you fall ill?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How often do you fall ill or become unwell?

• Total voters
I wrote never , however that doesnt mean I never feel ill........... I do but being self employed I know that I HAVE to go in.

I just find it REALLY REALLY hard to get out of the bed in the mornings.. it could be my body trying to tell me something and I know its not that I dont want to go to work - cause I do but my body just wont drag itself out until the last minute!! :irked:
I even dream things like all my appointments have been cancelled, or they have closed the road down ....! Thinks its my brain trying to convince me to snuggle on in!:lol:
Cait x

Hi cait, sounds as though you could do with an early night :). Interesting though but do you work late or find that it takes a long while for you to settle down? :) I like janey's reply to my thread and I think she has vaid points that we could all learn from. :hug:

I put yearly, but the last time i was ill was last july 2 weeks before my holiday and i had to cancel three days worth of ladies. I literally couldn't get out of bed and looked like death.
I think because i'm a mum i'm not meant to get sick too often lol:green:

deb x

Aw, that sounds really sad cobweb :hug:, we are all humans and we have rights as a mum to fall ill but I always believe the prevention is better than cure, I remember when I fell ill before I persued my career in beauty and nails and during my training as a beauty therapist, I found that I was healthier than ever because I had regular treatments from the other students so that when I qulaified I made it a point of duty to continue receiving treatments. So far my health is still good and I believe it is attributed to the regular health treatments, :)

Hi Aibarr,
do you have any treatments such as relaxing ones like Indian Head Massage, full body massage etc, I understand from other replies to this thread people don't like having IHM's or FBM but perhaps they find other ways to relax which is not too invasive.

have to say i am ill quite often, always having belts of tonsillitus and colds but u get up, u put ur makeup on, and u drag urself in! no-one else is goin to be able to do ur full column, their full themselves!! and besides im self employed, i pay rent 52 weeks of the year so...if im not in iv got money still going out.

i vowed this year to take more care of myself and to take more time off, becoz i wound up in hospital for xmas with pnueamonia, like a fool i was back into work only a few days after i could actually muster strength to walk, with the feeling of having let everyone down xmas eve. i dont know how i did it looking back.

so far this year i have taken a week off for a holiday so have'nt really kept my promise to myself but i am just about to book a flight to spain to see my sis. as for days off sick before xmas was prob 3 or so years ok when i got flu....we are slaves to our art!!

Hi bluetopaz, I felt a sadness come over me when I read that you were ill to the point of hospitalisation and I understand that it happened some years ago :sad:, however, I was filled with joy when I heard that you actually took some time off and have arranged to see your sis in Spain. Sometimes we are slaves to our jobs and we do this because we love what we do and tend to forget about the me time :hug:.

ain't that the truth...:) i was always sick when i worked in a call center...justing thinking about the place made me feel sick...:lol:...even driving there to work i would be thinking about ways to go back home again...:lol:

But i have been doing this since 2004 and only had 2 days off....its not even the money for me...its the letting people down.

Wow bagpuss, sounds as though you are really loyal to your clients but it would be interesting to find out whether things are still the same or whether you have taken time to look after number 1:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ill well i dont have time to be ill, but there again i had to take 12 weeks of 3 years ago as my lung collapsed i had to let a set of twins down as they were having a pamper party for there birthday that had to be the worst feeling in the world then 2 year later i was rushed in to hosbital again with asma thought hear we go again and yes yet again had to let a 12 year old down for her birthday, since then i have been going to the gym every othere day for 2 hrs at 7am working my guts out then working sometimes till 10 at night and i have not had a day of sinse then, i will not alow myself to let people down it is not in my nature.

Ok this is not meant to course offerce but I cant stand it when people say they dont have time to be ill...what makes you so special do you think cancer patients have tijme to have cancer and leave their kids when they die do you think that menatly ill people have time to be sectioned.. i say this because I didnt think i had time to be ill... i ended up wuth m.e after glandular fever and was diagnosed with manic depression at 23 ok I didnt have time for that but hey do you think I said to myself oh...il put time aside and ruin my familys life with a crippiling mental illness I had to MAKE time to get better. I see it as this way now because ive had to have a hell of alot of self discapline to help myself better if you have a cold spend a day or two in bed rather than struggling on and giving yourself phnemonia and having a month in hospital.... that makes logical sence to me if i find thing gwet to much I HAVE to give myself a break or I will end up in hospital thats my view anyway..... I lead a much healthier life now because I have to or Il end up realy ill. Look afteryourself and listen to your body!!!! Hope this helps xx

Ok this is not meant to course offerce but I cant stand it when people say they dont have time to be ill...what makes you so special do you think cancer patients have tijme to have cancer and leave their kids when they die do you think that menatly ill people have time to be sectioned.. i say this because I didnt think i had time to be ill... i ended up wuth m.e after glandular fever and was diagnosed with manic depression at 23 ok I didnt have time for that but hey do you think I said to myself oh...il put time aside and ruin my familys life with a crippiling mental illness I had to MAKE time to get better. I see it as this way now because ive had to have a hell of alot of self discapline to help myself better if you have a cold spend a day or two in bed rather than struggling on and giving yourself phnemonia and having a month in hospital.... that makes logical sence to me if i find thing gwet to much I HAVE to give myself a break or I will end up in hospital thats my view anyway..... I lead a much healthier life now because I have to or Il end up realy ill. Look afteryourself and listen to your body!!!! Hope this helps xx

I hardly think this is a helpful post, nor is it a realistic reflection of how we as self employed people have to adjust our lifestlyes. Of course if you are incredibly ill, you have no choice but to take the time to recover. It's not a choice, its a necessity, and I would hope that the majority of clients would understand if they had to be cancelled because their tech/therapist is recovering from a serious illness.

On the other hand, if I was to cancel my clients for every trivial illness just so I can make sure I can recover, it would not be long before I would have no business at all. My mortgage payments would fall behind, I would struggle to buy food and pay for my kids schooling, and eventually this would most certainly lead to stress, and I'm sure that since I'd have no clients I could take all the time in the world to recover from this:confused:. The beauty of being self employed is that if you become ill, you can choose to put a freeze on new appointments, or perhaps juggle them around and only see any pre booked clients thus working to a minimum while you recover, this way you can keep your livelihood ticking over while you recover.

Anyway. I voted once a month, but to be honest this isnt strictly the case. I suffer with arthritis which comes and goes, so it;s actually only the one illness but it affects me frequently. There has only been one day where I physically couldnt even get out of bed when I have had to cancel clients, at other times I make adjustments to my lifestyle. If I'm having a bad arthritis day, my other half can drive me to the salon, get me in and sat down, then I'll just sit doped up on painkillers (not literally doped up I hasten to add!), see whoever's booked in, then he comes and picks me up again. I can also use little tricks like, if I get up in a morning and I'm not so mobile, I have a really hot bath and it loosens the joints a bit, long enough for the medication to take effect. These are the things that you have to do when you're self employed, and since we all took an active decision to become self employed, I think we all understand that this will be the case right from the start.

In what way is this not a helpful post though the post was not about any particular illness in your words trivial or otherwise. I would also like to point out I am not self employed I am employed. And the reason for this post is that i was explaining my point of view and my story about illness which I have never brought up in any other post than this one pecificaly ASKING to eloborate on illness weather a cold, cancer, all types of illness which is a part of life sorry to be blunt but it is....anyway what I was trying to put across is its not a competition in life who can keep going through the tuff times just the honest truth about taking care of yourself so as not to make yourself more unhealthy in the long run which im sure the wholistic therapists on the sight will agree with xx When I read back over the tread most of the people on here have said their bit about what different things they have had wrong and had to reast aswell like the lady who had pnemonia poor thing !!x:hug:

Last edited:
In what way is this not a helpful post though the post was not about any particular illness in your words trivial or otherwise. I would also like to point out I am not self employed I am employed. And the reason for this post is that i was explaining my point of view and my story about illness which I have never brought up in any other post than this one pecificaly ASKING to eloborate on illness weather a cold, cancer, all types of illness which is a part of life sorry to be blunt but it is....anyway what I was trying to put across is its not a competition in life who can keep going through the tuff times just the honest truth about taking care of yourself so as not to make yourself more unhealthy in the long run which im sure the wholistic therapists on the sight will agree with xx When I read back over the tread most of the people on here have said their bit about what different things they have had wrong and had to reast aswell like the lady who had pnemonia poor thing !!x:hug:

But I'm sure no-one is trying to compete as to who can keep going through tough times, people are merely trying to compare notes on how we often have no choice but to work whilst feeling ill in order to keep our businesses going since the majority of us in this profession are self employed.
To answer your point I believe that your post was unhelpful because it's not very nice to say that you "Cant stand it" when people say they have no time to be ill, and "what makes them think they are so special". People work through their illness to keep their livelihood afloat, not because they think they are better than people who have cancer etc who have the luxury to choose to take time to recover, which is basically how your post came across.
You have the luxury of being in employment with rights in relation to sick pay, and a job to go back to. Put yourself in the shoes of the self employed people for whom no work = no livelihood before you make such drastic statements.

i didnt ask to have cronick asma and have to be on a nebuliser half the time but i didnt think that we were refering to things like cancer and such these are terabel i have had a lot of people dye around me of such things we i thought were talking about colds flue and every day sicknesses like that as your post was after my first one i take it that you were refering tome about cant stand people who say they dont have time to be ill well i am selfemployd worked for years to get my buissnes where it is i have t kids and a disabeld husband i am the only bread winner in the house hold so yes i dont have time to be ill as if i dont work we get no money as simpel as that.

Last edited:
Whah there every one calm down....I lost my father to cancer was just saying that people have said to me in the past....ANYWAY why not make it a nice happy positive place and talk about how lucky we are to be well enough to work and rich enough to afford a nice computor to use!! this thread has been taken completely out of contest no one asks to be ill but we all get pooprly sometimes in different ways and we all keep going unlike some people who have no choice in the matter!!! lets all be positive we are meant to be THERAPISTS after all and nice and understanding for example I if anyone finds anything inapropriate they can report it rather than atack people. We are very fortunate in this country...and every one goes through hard ship at some point what I meant was that people say I dont have time to be ill as if they are invincible and the people who have a disability are weak there not they are people who do their best im not going to list all the bad thing in my life I have to contend with im just saying dont say you dont have time to be ill as people with a disability may find it offensive thats all!!!!:hug:

I have just reported this thread to the modirators im sorry if i have coursed offence or made us have a row thats the last thing i want and I didnt see the dont have time to be ill on the other thread I read back over it after I replied maby I was taking it out of context when people sayI dont have time to be ill I meant when people use it as a kind of answer or saying rather than I i thaught they meant in a kind of negative resantment. I no longer wish to argue or talk anymore about my personal life we should all get on PEACE OUT!!!!XX

Whah there every one calm down....I lost my father to cancer was just saying that people have said to me in the past....ANYWAY why not make it a nice happy positive place and talk about how lucky we are to be well enough to work and rich enough to afford a nice computor to use!! this thread has been taken completely out of contest no one asks to be ill but we all get pooprly sometimes in different ways and we all keep going unlike some people who have no choice in the matter!!! lets all be positive we are meant to be THERAPISTS after all and nice and understanding for example I if anyone finds anything inapropriate they can report it rather than atack people. We are very fortunate in this country...and every one goes through hard ship at some point what I meant was that people say I dont have time to be ill as if they are invincible and the people who have a disability are weak there not they are people who do their best im not going to list all the bad thing in my life I have to contend with im just saying dont say you dont have time to be ill as people with a disability may find it offensive thats all!!!!:hug:

I dont think anyone would dream of reporting your posts as inapporopriate, you are speaking your opinion which is your right. The problem that I have with it is they way you worded it. You were very judgemental and have portrayed your opinion as though you believe that those who work whilst ill think they are "something special" when in fact you will find that those of us who work through our illnesses do it out of complete selflessness and for the sake of those around us, whether that other person is our client, our partner or our children, and for this reason when a tech/therapist has made such a sacrifice for someone they care about, it is quite derogatory of you to make a statement to the effect that those who work while ill think they are better than someone who is compelled to take time to recover due to a serious illness. You have said that a disabled person might be offended by the "I havent the time to be ill" attitude, and I can tell you that I'm registered disabled and the thought of being offended by this would never cross my mind. I would empathise with the person for needing to consider others before themselves, but never be offended, and if anyone did find this offensive I would challenge them for being over sensitive.

The other thing to consider is proportionality, i.e a minor illness often needs minor adjustments, so you may choose to work less hours, and in the time you arent at work retire to bed with a lemsip. On the other end of the scale a serious illness needs serious adjustments and this may mean putting your business on hold, maybe even giving it up altogether, but of course it would make no sense, business or otherwise to react with serious adjustments to a minor illness, so your argument is fundamentally flawed.

Anyway, I'm really not trying to have an argument about this, I think it's an interesting point for debate, and whilst I dont agree with what you are saying I completely respect your right to say it and hope this thread can continue as a rational debate in the spirit of this forum.

shall we draw a line under this now then...

back to how many times people get ill and have to take time off.

Thank you so much chell I just pmd you before I read this im actualy realy upset that it seems that ive caused upset amongst the salongeeks!!! Thankyou for your kind reply xxxx:hug:

Latest posts

Back