How many times a year do you fall ill?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How often do you fall ill or become unwell?

• Total voters

Bebeautiful

Reaction score
Hi all salon geeks,
sometimes our hard work as nail technicians, hair dressers and beauty therapists can take it's toll on our health. I am interested to find out how often you fall ill or become unwell. :):)

I have not voted on your poll as it is a bit similar to your doctor wanting you to make an appointment 3 weeks in advance of been ill, it can not be done, you are ill when you are ill its as simple as that,
last year i had 3 operations, i only took the 1 day off work while i had each operation and then signed myself out of hospital and went straight back to work, not a good idea i know but we all have a living to make,
at the moment i am trying to get over laryngitis which i have had for about 3 weeks but again i have still had to go to work and teach any students that was booked in for classes hth

I rarely get proper ill but about every 2-3 months I have a few days where I feel a bit run down and feel like I am 'coming down' with something.

Last week I had flu-like symptoms which made me feel a bit tired but didn't stop me from working or anything. It didn't get full-blown and I just have a couple of evenings lying on the settee with 'poorly blankie' and then I'm OK.

Proper ill? Can't remember last time!

last time I took antibiotics? About 8 years ago when I had a kidney infection.

hi there loubylou,
I was refering to the past :) year or so, and the reason why I asked this question is because it relates to my previous poll about looking after number 1. This is not to say that no one looks after themselves I know yhou all do but with good intensions I wondered whether geeks understood the concept of looking after number 1 in order to be fit and healthy because our passion for treatments is so giving but enjoyable of course can sometimes be a health risk. Thank you for your reply :hug:

Hi hippy-chic, thank you for your reply, this is interesting because my theory is that our passion can be looked at as stressful, however, I think this is dealt with by feeling good and enjoying what we love and do best - looking after and pampering people :hug:

I've had the flu since last week, i've still gone in everyday (dying) as it is a new business and I cant afford to be ill !!!!

Had I been at my old job i'd be off sick right now x

too blimmin' often!
I often feel unwell, but I have to be literally incapable of getting out of bed before I'll be off sick. Unless I have something infectious or contagious, of course!

Hi BeBeautiful,

I understand exactly where you are coming from! I think a lot of us "batter on" through sickness because we are self employed and if we don't work we don't get paid. However, I do think we need to be careful not to ignore are bodies too much because it could lead to something more serious. Since your last poll (Looking after no.1) I have started doing little things to relax, even if it is just a long bubble bath at the end of a stressful day. So thank you for making me think about things!:hug:

When my little boy was sick he'd catch anything and everything that was going around and he'd always pass it onto me. And it's not just about being active-in the evenings I teach a fitness class so I'd have to say I'm pretty active and I still would get sick.

After a few trips to holland and barratts I've learned a lot and now I hardly ever get anything full blown. We all take zinc and vit c and my hubby and I take garlic too. If we ever do feel something coming on we take astragalus, echinacea or goldenseal depending on the symptoms and if we catch it early enough it's gone within a day or two.

I've always said 1 day off to rest is better than a week of working at half your potential because you're sick. Rest is so important, I think we all get so busy we forget that.

Well I am not too sure what to put.

Illness in the sense of flu, colds, sickness etc...well then touch wood....very very rarely do I get anything....maybe once every 5 years or so....maybe less than that.... touch bl00dy wood!!!!

But what I do get is what I call my stress illness....which is when I have been overly stressed and not sleeping for a month or so....then my body kind of shuts down..... I will just ache and ache and cannot move....which means I have to rest whether I want to or not....
I don't feel ill as much as lethargic to the point of being immobile...

I do however...put on an illness every now and then....:lol:
Sometimes it just pays to have a little sympathy and allow everyone else to pretend they love me :cry: :D

Hi hippy-chic, thank you for your reply, this is interesting because my theory is that our passion can be looked at as stressful, however, I think this is dealt with by feeling good and enjoying what we love and do best - looking after and pampering people :hug:

Its probably more to do wih the fact that being self employed if your off ill you dont get paid.

i think you will find that us males not only get iller more often but when we do its much worse than you ladies :lol::lol:

i think you will find that us males not only get iller more often but when we do its much worse than you ladies :lol::lol:

Collin that's called ...MAN FLU !:lol:

BeauBeaut i really do understand exactly where you are coming from when i opened the thread. I think a lot of us plough and batter on and push ourselves to the limit and extremes through sickness because we are self employed and if we don't work we don't get statuory sick pay or get any form of sickness benefit.

I do think we need to be careful not to ignore our health too much as if we do ...it could lead to something far more serious. i look after number one and that is me ...i have taken steps now to take some time out to reflect and try and reduce my stress levels and do little things to relax, such self massage and meditation. i must thank you for this poll it has shed light on the little things i neglected about myself recently and put them back on track. xx

I found myself being off ill a lot more when I was employed, but now I'm self-employed I could have a limb falling off & would still trudge into work! I suppose that's what happens when you don't get sick pay - it makes you a healthier person!

I wrote never , however that doesnt mean I never feel ill........... I do but being self employed I know that I HAVE to go in.

I just find it REALLY REALLY hard to get out of the bed in the mornings.. it could be my body trying to tell me something and I know its not that I dont want to go to work - cause I do but my body just wont drag itself out until the last minute!! :irked:
I even dream things like all my appointments have been cancelled, or they have closed the road down ....! Thinks its my brain trying to convince me to snuggle on in!:lol:
Cait x

I found myself being off ill a lot more when I was employed, but now I'm self-employed I could have a limb falling off & would still trudge into work! I suppose that's what happens when you don't get sick pay - it makes you a healthier person!

so true!!....i just feel tired all the time, even more so as the kids are off school,...all those BUT WHY MUMMY are taking there toll lol

i also think doing beauty can be so draining as lots of clients like to off load on you, one of my clients has recently lost her mother, and i find myself laying awake at night worrying about how she must be feeling and coping.

as for colds etc i am lucky really dont come down with anything often.

I
I even dream things like all my appointments have been cancelled, or they have closed the road down ....! Thinks its my brain trying to convince me to snuggle on in!:lol:
Cait x

:):):lol::lol: i do this this to!!

ain't that the truth...:) i was always sick when i worked in a call center...justing thinking about the place made me feel sick...:lol:...even driving there to work i would be thinking about ways to go back home again...:lol:

But i have been doing this since 2004 and only had 2 days off....its not even the money for me...its the letting people down.

have to say i am ill quite often, always having belts of tonsillitus and colds but u get up, u put ur makeup on, and u drag urself in! no-one else is goin to be able to do ur full column, their full themselves!! and besides im self employed, i pay rent 52 weeks of the year so...if im not in iv got money still going out.

i vowed this year to take more care of myself and to take more time off, becoz i wound up in hospital for xmas with pnueamonia, like a fool i was back into work only a few days after i could actually muster strength to walk, with the feeling of having let everyone down xmas eve. i dont know how i did it looking back.

so far this year i have taken a week off for a holiday so have'nt really kept my promise to myself but i am just about to book a flight to spain to see my sis. as for days off sick before xmas was prob 3 or so years ok when i got flu....we are slaves to our art!!

Hi all salon geeks,
sometimes our hard work as nail technicians, hair dressers and beauty therapists can take it's toll on our health. I am interested to find out how often you fall ill or become unwell. :):)
in Summer Im fab, in Winter Im sickly all the time with sore throats n fevers, yuk!

I put yearly, but the last time i was ill was last july 2 weeks before my holiday and i had to cancel three days worth of ladies. I literally couldn't get out of bed and looked like death.
I think because i'm a mum i'm not meant to get sick too often lol:green:

deb x

Latest posts

Back