How much do I ask??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lollipop

Reaction score
Morning!!

Need a quick answere here!! Going to see a man today who is interested in me setting up a nail bar in his very very busy hair salon which is in town (Im in the village). At the mo I rent space in a local hair salon that is very quite and Im needing to work for someone as my husband has been made redundant and we need a fixed wage coming in.

My question is how much should I ask for, is it hourly (is £7.80-£8.00 too much, not enough??) or daily?? Im planning on working from wed to sat and if it gets busier will work more hours. Ive just qualified with creative and wanting to supply all of there products, do I take a percentage of each sale??

A quick response would be totally appreciated!!!

Luv and kisses

Avs

why don't you just do it all on a percentage basis, that way you would be better off.

LindaH73 said:
why don't you just do it all on a percentage basis, that way you would be better off.

Tks, as in 10% for every client? is that reliable enough?? Or do you just mean for the products?

avsxx

Hi

You obviously need the security of a regular wage at this time so i would go for an hourly pay then say 10-30% on anything you take over your pay. I say 10-30% as it will depend on your hourly rate i would think as to how much he would give you. IE £6 and hour and 15% or £5 an hour and 30%.
Does that make sense??
I would ask if you can supply the retail and therefore have the retail profit for yourself or if not ask if you can go joint with him.

If you were going to go on a percentage with no hourly pay then thats a different matter. But that way you don't have the security of your fixed pay so you need to weigh up the odds.

Maybe agree to a starting pay with the option to renegotiate in say 3-6 months time.

There's a lot to consider before you decide

Who will pay for..

Products?
Insurance?
Advertising?
Tea & Coffee?
Cleaning?
Reception/booking/welcome duties?

If the salon owner is doing all of the above then a lower hourly rate is acceptable.

If you need to do all of the above then you need to adjust your hourly rate to include all those things

Little Angel said:
Hi

You obviously need the security of a regular wage at this time so i would go for an hourly pay then say 10-30% on anything you take over your pay. I say 10-30% as it will depend on your hourly rate i would think as to how much he would give you. IE £6 and hour and 15% or £5 an hour and 30%.
Does that make sense??
I would ask if you can supply the retail and therefore have the retail profit for yourself or if not ask if you can go joint with him.

If you were going to go on a percentage with no hourly pay then thats a different matter. But that way you don't have the security of your fixed pay so you need to weigh up the odds.

Maybe agree to a starting pay with the option to renegotiate in say 3-6 months time.

Thanks for that!! I think I will go in asking for an hourly rate with option to have a re-think in a few months time!! I would love to supply all my own retail but the little amount of redunancy that hubby got has got to last until he gets another job!! So Im going to ask him to supply, think he would hes a very good buisnessman with lots of barber shops and spare cash!!

Really excited bout this move but a tad bit scared aswell, for the past 6 months Ive been my own boss. I know its the best for me at the mo, about 4 months ago my wonderful husband offered me the chance to open up my own shop and keep me going for one year or go on a creative course!! I chose creative!! Im soooo glad I did!! Its given me soooo much confidence, I know Im not the best but I can see light at the end of the tunnel and I know by training with creative ( I want to do alll there courses!!) I will be opening up my own shop knowing that Ive got the best training!!

Wish me luck, will let you know what happens!!

Avs
xxxxx

Hi

I wish you the very best of luck. I would tell him about your ambitions as if he is a canny business man he may well want to develope you so you could end up renting your nail bar off him in the future with 2 or 3 girls working under you. You never know he may offer to help you with the cost of your training under a contract of course. IF you dont ask you dont get.

Little Angel said:
Hi

I wish you the very best of luck. I would tell him about your ambitions as if he is a canny business man he may well want to develope you so you could end up renting your nail bar off him in the future with 2 or 3 girls working under you. You never know he may offer to help you with the cost of your training under a contract of course. IF you dont ask you dont get.

The best thing is no one on the Isle of Man are Creative trained!!!! Either the local college or NSI!!

Lollipop said:
The best thing is no one on the Isle of Man are Creative trained!!!! Either the local college or NSI!!

Hi !!

Was trying to fing some nail geeks last year in IOM as I go there...I love it! where abouts are you?!
PM me - I'd love a chat!

Sam
XX

Hiya Sammie

Im in Onchan, are you coming over for TT this year??

Avs
xx

Latest posts

Back