How much do you weigh? ;)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerinse

Reaction score
Ok not as cheeky as it sounds, but how do you measure your colour?

I've personally always used digital scales, love them and so so accurate!! Could not cope without them but I'm aware some people don't measure they guesstimate!!!!

I'm with you Bluerinse, it's scales all the way for me! So easy, less washing up, and able to measure perfectly down to the nearest gram. :)

I've been in salons where they 'guesstimate' every colour as a trainer, and they are usually the ones who have contacted whichever colour company I was working for as a technician complaining that the colour wasn't working. :rolleyes:

No doubt some hairdressers can guesstimate well, but not a whole salon full of 5. Surely the chances of them all finding each other in the same salon would be remote? LOL

No I've never used scales, just my tube measurements and a measuring cup/jug/thing! I'll look into the scales. Do you put your bowl on there then zero the scales and go from there?x

I put my bowl on then turn them on :) add my colour and either carry on till I goes from say 40 to 80 when adding peroxide or if my brain hurts zero them then add peroxide :)

it's so simply and you don't get that wastage you get with a jug Thingy ;) I've got a set of tigi ones, did have two but my old salon have still got a set x

Yes Aimz. That's exactly what you do! :)

You have far less wastage, as you can even mix say 4 grams of colour to do one or two more foils, plus, you don't need to worry about washing out the measuring cylinder either. ;)

You'll never look back after getting scales in the salon.

No I've never used scales, just my tube measurements and a measuring cup/jug/thing! I'll look into the scales. Do you put your bowl on there then zero the scales and go from there?x

I do the same as you. I'd never seen a pair of scales until I started my Level 3 at an FE college ( done my level 2 as an apprenticeship). I looked such a fool because the tutor kept telling me to use them and I was like ummm...how? :confused: lol. x

Ooo that might be my Xmas present for the salon then now!!x

I actually didn't know you could get scales to measure the colour! I must be so behind! .. I was never shown these when training and no salon I've ever worked in has used scales! .. Love the sound of them though with regards to minimising washing up and product wastage! ..
Now this may sound daft but if i dot ask i wont know and id want to be sure lol!! .. how would you go about measuring the peroxide on scales? Because liquid is measures in ml, not grams?! Or am I missing the point somewhere lol?! Because, say it was a 1:2 ratio, so 50g colour would need 100ml of peroxide.. Would it just weigh in at 100g?!
Any guidance would be appreciated!
Thank you x

I actually didn't know you could get scales to measure the colour! I must be so behind! .. I was never shown these when training and no salon I've ever worked in has used scales! .. Love the sound of them though with regards to minimising washing up and product wastage! ..
Now this may sound daft but if i dot ask i wont know and id want to be sure lol!! .. how would you go about measuring the peroxide on scales? Because liquid is measures in ml, not grams?! Or am I missing the point somewhere lol?! Because, say it was a 1:2 ratio, so 50g colour would need 100ml of peroxide.. Would it just weigh in at 100g?!
Any guidance would be appreciated!
Thank you x

Glad you asked that question! :lol: I'd love to know how to do it too! x

I use digital scales to weigh my colour always have even while i was learning. when i first started i had to write down the amount to each as it took me ages to work out the ratio lol x

Lol, oh good, so I'm not alone and maybe it wasn't such a daft question! :p xx

Scales for tint and bleach...
I'm doing my level 3 at college and there is no scales... Soooo much wastage!!xx

Sorry I'm not a hairdresser but just wanted to say my digital scales in the house measure in ml too.

So I think this would be what you are looking for. I got them from amazon. X

Sorry I'm not a hairdresser but just wanted to say my digital scales in the house measure in ml too.

So I think this would be what you are looking for. I got them from amazon. X

Really?! That's amazing!

Somebody said previously though that they add the colour to the bowl then carry on adding the peroxide from the colour weight.. If that makes sense? .. For example .. Colour up to 50g then add peroxide straight in without going back to zero?

But I can't work out how?! X

Really?! That's amazing!

Somebody said previously though that they add the colour to the bowl then carry on adding the peroxide from the colour weight.. If that makes sense? .. For example .. Colour up to 50g then add peroxide straight in without going back to zero?

I always measure in grams, but measure it all the same, if you mix 1:1 it's 40ml powder 40ml peroxide, just an example. If it's 1:2 40ml powder 80ml peroxide.

I put my bowl on my scales then turn them on add first Colour 40ml then zero add 40ml peroxide :) x

Ah well I never knew that!! Thanks for the info :) xx

Really?! That's amazing!

Well if it was a 1:2 ratio, you'd put in 50g of colour and then 100g of peroxide so after the 50g of colour is in, you'd just pour the peroxide unroll it reaches 150g without zeroing the scales :)

I used scales in the salon but have yet to buy some now mobile :)

Well if it was a 1:2 ratio, you'd put in 50g of colour and then 100g of peroxide so after the 50g of colour is in, you'd just pour the peroxide unroll it reaches 150g without zeroing the scales :)

I used scales in the salon but have yet to buy some now mobile :)

Thank you! I didn't realise that 1ml weighed 1g! Learn something new everyday :) think I will have to invest! Xx

Thank you! I didn't realise that 1ml weighed 1g! Learn something new everyday :) think I will have to invest! Xx

Well even if it didn't, it's a ratio so whether it's gram to gram or ml to ml it doesn't matter :) x

Latest posts

Back