How much for a website??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a web designer / multimedia programmer with 12 years industry experience and with the magic of google somehow stumbled across this post about websites.

A website is a shop window into your business and you should make it look as professional as possible. The design should reflect the image of your business and the products & services you are offering customers.

The most important things to display should be:

Company Name
Contact Information (telephone / location / email address)
Services

A Marketing or Design Agency will charge you alot of money for a website because they are used to working with corporate clients where £10,000 - £20,000 is nothing to them.

Smaller companies like eMarketing Agencies & Online Advertising companies try to sell you google advertising and often offer very cheap deals on websites to suck you in.

If you are smart refuse the advertising but snap their hands off for a quality website. Some of these companies are offering websites for less than £300 and your website is built by somebody like myself who is a professional web designer.

If you came to me personally for private work I would refuse to do anything for you for less than £500. Why?

domain registration fee £5 - £10
hosting costs £8 - £10 a month
my hourly rate £25
Design (upto 8 hours)
Build 4-5 pages (8-32 hours) maybe longer, you might not like the design and what to make several lots of changes to the website (eating into any profit I may have and I end losing money :Scared: )

The other option is to build the website yourself... buy some books from Amazon and learn :biggrin:

- HTML Dog:The Best-Practice Guide to XHTML and CSS: Amazon.co.uk: Patrick Griffiths: Books

Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: The Web Designer's Idea Book, Volume 2: More of the Best Themes, Trends and Styles in Website Design

The Principles of Beautiful Web Design 2nd Edition: Amazon.co.uk: Jason Beaird: Books

If you have the money available its worth investing in a professional to build you a decent website. If you have enough time on your hands then give it ago yourself.

another tip: http://www.1and1.co.uk/ one of the best hosting providers around they offer packages for as little as £4.99 a month and it would do what you need.

Good look anyone know a good salon in Widnes, Cheshire btw?

My current site Welcome - Indigo Hair & Beauty well that is an entirely different matter. It was bespoke, properly done and is fully SEO'd.

I had a quick look at your website and I must say from an SEO point of view it was done very badly.

Think about what you would type into google or other search engines when looking for a salon in your area and you will see what I mean!

e.g. Hair and beauty bromley

M hubby likes to do a bit of Web Design in his spare time....check out these sites for a sample...

www.tigernails.co.uk
www.urbanholistics.co.uk

Both sites fully designed from scratch, and fully optimised for Google for less than £350.

Anyone interested, please inbox me and ill pass on your details.

M hubby likes to do a bit of Web Design in his spare time....check out these sites for a sample...

www.tigernails.co.uk
www.urbanholistics.co.uk

Both sites fully designed from scratch, and fully optimised for Google for less than £350.

Anyone interested, please inbox me and ill pass on your details.

Nice designs, but tell your hubby its bad practice to include CSS / Javascript code within the page he should use external files to store this code.

use something like HTML5 Boilerplate - A rock-solid default template for HTML5 awesome. as a best practice guide for coding.

I had a quick look at your website and I must say from an SEO point of view it was done very badly.

Think about what you would type into google or other search engines when looking for a salon in your area and you will see what I mean!

e.g. Hair and beauty bromley
I don't recall asking you for a critique. Slagging off my website won't make me run to you for a new one.
You are sounding like a troll now.

Vistaprint is a brilliant platform for your website. I pay £16 per month and I use Bookfresh as my online booking system for £10 per month.

THE MAIN THING IS WITH A VISTAPRINT SITE - THE SEO FUNCTION IS SECNOND TO NONE. EQUALLY BY UPDATING YOUR OWN SITE REGULARLY - YOU AUTOMATICALLY INCREASE YOUR SEO.

OOPS SORRY - PRESSED ENTER!

I would say 70% of my new business comes from my website...
NailHouse Douglas Isle of Man - Home

Paying someone else to set up a site you can't change without paying them again is a false economy!

Use a site that you can update, make your own and even use email marketing!
:biggrin:

I don't recall asking you for a critique. Slagging off my website won't make me run to you for a new one.
You are sounding like a troll now.

I did not slag your website off.

Try and find your own website in google by typing in what a customer would search for when looking for your business.

I'm so glad my boyfriend did mine! He's a web designer and done it from scratch. I only paid for domain name and hosting in total about £25!!! He said it should cost £1000 minimum.The hardest part for me was deciding on pictures.

I think mine is amazing(obviously) but I had a good look at local ones and u can tell if there has been money well spent alot of the quality would put me off if i was a client,also all in treatments info was on one long page they also didn't seem to be continuous logo design/branding.

You want something simple easy to use and able to just to select the info about the treatment u require not scroll through tons!!

In my opinion anyway!

I'm so glad my boyfriend did mine! He's a web designer and done it from scratch. I only paid for domain name and hosting in total about £25!!! He said it should cost £1000 minimum.The hardest part for me was deciding on pictures.

I think mine is amazing(obviously) but I had a good look at local ones and u can tell if there has been money well spent alot of the quality would put me off if i was a client,also all in treatments info was on one long page they also didn't seem to be continuous logo design/branding.

You want something simple easy to use and able to just to select the info about the treatment u require not scroll through tons!!

In my opinion anyway!

do you have a link?

I will post a link tomorrow as he is currently updating images and treatments so wants to wait until it's finished.
He also designed my logo and business cards. x

Latest posts

Back