How much should I charge?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbillie

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have started mobile hairdressing on a part-time basis after recently qualifiying as a hairdresser. I also worked in a local salon for the past year to give me some experience. My problem is I don't really know how much to charge. To give you an idea of what I am currently charging, I charge £15 for a cut and blow dry and £35 for any colour including a cut. This doesn't include foils as I use a spatula for highlights.

When I was discussing the amount I am charging for a colour with my friends from college and my sister, they all think it is too much. My friends think I should only charge £25 but my sister thinks I should charge £30. :eek:
I should mention that no-one has queried this amount and seem happy to pay. :!:

Since I do not have the same amount of experience as someone who has been hairdressing for years, I don't want to over-charge or be greedy. :confused:

Your thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.

Thankyou.

£35 for colour and cut that's cheap! Give u a rough price I charge £12 on top of my colours if they want a cut aswell x

Hiii, don't under price yourself i think your prices are quite low, you are offering a professional service that the client cant do themselves! I charge £40 for half head h/l , £50 for full head h/l, £35 for a tint & £20 for a cut&blowdry. I have lots of clients and my prices are just average for my area. Have a look at what other mobiles in your area are charging and that will give you an idea of what you should charge! x

Hi everyone

I have started mobile hairdressing on a part-time basis after recently qualifiying as a hairdresser. I also worked in a local salon for the past year to give me some experience. My problem is I don't really know how much to charge. To give you an idea of what I am currently charging, I charge £15 for a cut and blow dry and £35 for any colour including a cut. This doesn't include foils as I use a spatula for highlights.

When I was discussing the amount I am charging for a colour with my friends from college and my sister, they all think it is too much. My friends think I should only charge £25 but my sister thinks I should charge £30. :eek:

Since I do not have the same amount of experience as someone who has been hairdressing for years, I don't want to over-charge or be greedy. :confused:

Thankyou.

Charge whatever youre confident charging but id say your prices are a tad too low.

I havent been qualified a year yet but i think on average, i have a lot more confidence than people at my level but everyones different...

I charge: £20 cut and blow dry
£28 regrowth
£35 whole head tint
£35 half head highlights
£45 full head. "
I dont charge less for a cut on top of a colour as i believe mobile has to be underpriced anyway even though its harder for us than salon stylists but thats just my opinion :)

Hi everyone

Thankyou.

Although I'm not a hairdresser (I'm on the SG app so all forums come up under the latest section) I wanted to give you some feedback from a client point of view. I would fully expect to pay £35 for just an all over colour with no cut. I think you are a little on the cheap side honey.
Rhiannon x

Hiii, don't under price yourself i think your prices are quite low, you are offering a professional service that the client cant do themselves! I charge £40 for half head h/l , £50 for full head h/l, £35 for a tint & £20 for a cut&blowdry. I have lots of clients and my prices are just average for my area. Have a look at what other mobiles in your area are charging and that will give you an idea of what you should charge! x

I'm exact same only I add £5 to any of those colour prices for a cut rather than the full £20 :) xx

Hi, Am i right in thinking you dont want to be over priced as youv just started and want to build up your clients??
think your too cheap i charge,

Cut & Style Dry £15
Random hi/lites 35
Tbar 40
Full head 50
Tint 40
tint regrowth 30

You could try offering your clients recommend a friend voucher for cuts.

I'm exact same only I add £5 to any of those colour prices for a cut rather than the full £20 :) xx

Really? How come? I've always charged colour and cut separately, and full price! It means your working smart not hard for your money

Really? How come? I've always charged colour and cut separately, and full price! It means your working smart not hard for your money

Ooh I dunno I thought everyone did it a little less with a cut :-/ maybe I'll review those in jan lol xx

Ooh I dunno I thought everyone did it a little less with a cut :-/ maybe I'll review those in jan lol xx

I just go by what id be making if I had a cut in-between a colour, so your not loosing money, meaning in 3 hours I can put a colour on, do another c/bd and then do my colours c/bd and taken £100 ish make sense? Vie always done it and never had anyone moan about price. Xx

Thanks everyone for your advice. I do agree with what you are saying - I am probably underpricing myself but at the moment, I don't have a lot of confidence in my ability!

I will take on board your comments though.

Thanks again. :biggrin:

I just go by what id be making if I had a cut in-between a colour, so your not loosing money, meaning in 3 hours I can put a colour on, do another c/bd and then do my colours c/bd and taken £100 ish make sense? Vie always done it and never had anyone moan about price. Xx

Yep makes sense! Think I'm just a softie!!! Ya can tell I'm new to this mobile carry on lol thanks xx

You are defiantly cheap!
You should check out some other prices of mobile hairdressers in your area?
I charge:
£25 c/b
£45 tint
£35 regrowth
£40 t-section foils
£50 half head foils
£60 full head foils (long hair £70)
And if I'm doing a cut in with the colour I charge full for my cut why would you throw in a cut free lol
All these prices are depending on hair lengths aswell, longer the hair the more you have to buy! :)

You are defiantly cheap!
You should check out some other prices of mobile hairdressers in your area?
I charge:
£25 c/b
£45 tint
£35 regrowth
£40 t-section foils
£50 half head foils
£60 full head foils (long hair £70)
And if I'm doing a cut in with the colour I charge full for my cut why would you throw in a cut free lol
All these prices are depending on hair lengths aswell, longer the hair the more you have to buy! :)

Sorry forgot to write and the longer it will take!
Time is money in this industry! :)

Thanks Beckstar. :)

I don't mean to sound harsh but I think you're friends are only thinking of themselves when they're telling you what you should charge! You will also have the odd friend wanting everything for nothing too so don't undercharge yourself and if it makes you feel better you could make a "mates rates" price list at a little bit cheaper. Start as you mean to go on and don't let people take you for a ride! It's an extremely hard position to be in (think I can speak for most geeks as they will have been there!) but be stern! You're running a business now not a charity for them :) good luck!!xxxx

Ooh just one more thing....i dont know about anyone else but i always find it really hard putting my prices up(i think i'm just a bit soft) but even though nobody has ever complained about a price increase i always feel a bit bad about it!!! So dont massively under price or you might find it difficult if you need to do quite a large price increase in the future!x

Ooh just one more thing....i dont know about anyone else but i always find it really hard putting my prices up(i think i'm just a bit soft) but even though nobody has ever complained about a price increase i always feel a bit bad about it!!! So dont massively under price or you might find it difficult if you need to do quite a large price increase in the future!x

This is sooooo true!

I don't mean to sound harsh but I think you're friends are only thinking of themselves when they're telling you what you should charge! You will also have the odd friend wanting everything for nothing too so don't undercharge yourself and if it makes you feel better you could make a "mates rates" price list at a little bit cheaper. Start as you mean to go on and don't let people take you for a ride! It's an extremely hard position to be in (think I can speak for most geeks as they will have been there!) but be stern! You're running a business now not a charity for them :) good luck!!xxxx

Good point HairbyAlly.

Also, Jenny Miles has a point too. Thanks to you both. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back