How much should I charge?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow excellent price advice here, I was wondering the same thing myself

I had a lot of friends who were just friends until I put my prices up when I moved to my own salon. I charged £30 for cut and col because I thought "oh I'll do my mates a deal" only for them to turn their back when I was going self employed.

Value yourself and your service. I would work out what you want to make in an hour. I usually aim to bring in £40 an hour, so if I'm doing a full head of fouls and cut, and then a cut and blow dry while that is on, it would take me about2.5 hours. Would charge altogether £98. Divide that by 2.5 hours is.... £ £39.20 an hour.

Hope that makes sense. If it takes you 2 hours to do a colour and you only charge £30, then you are taking £15 an hour. Minus tax, petrol, and colour (not to mention set up costs, insurance, uniform, car payments and maintenance) you could be left with a lot less. I know £10 an hour sounds good but then think about how many hours you do.... If you have 5 colours in a week that's 10 hours so only £100 in the week. I couldn't live on that.

Sorry my mind is working 10000 miles an hour this morning. Hope this makes sense. Xxxx

I think my customers would faint if I charged £98 for foils and a cut - I charge £55 - sometimes £60 ... But I guess it depends on the area / clientele ! My clientele are mainly one income families ( army base ) so I keep my prices affordable for that reason . :)

That's not what I mean. I charge £72 for a full head of foils and a cut and blow dry - and I'm not being bigheaded but I'm worth that. And I bet you are too! I charge between £24 and £28 for a cut and blow dry, so the £98 was the £72 for the foils and cut, and £26 for a cut and blow
Dry I would do whilst the colour was developing.

I had a lot of friends who were just friends until I put my prices up when I moved to my own salon. I charged £30 for cut and col because I thought "oh I'll do my mates a deal" only for them to turn their back when I was going self employed.

Value yourself and your service. I would work out what you want to make in an hour. I usually aim to bring in £40 an hour, so if I'm doing a full head of fouls and cut, and then a cut and blow dry while that is on, it would take me about2.5 hours. Would charge altogether £98. Divide that by 2.5 hours is.... £ £39.20 an hour.

Hope that makes sense. If it takes you 2 hours to do a colour and you only charge £30, then you are taking £15 an hour. Minus tax, petrol, and colour (not to mention set up costs, insurance, uniform, car payments and maintenance) you could be left with a lot less. I know £10 an hour sounds good but then think about how many hours you do.... If you have 5 colours in a week that's 10 hours so only £100 in the week. I couldn't live on that.

Sorry my mind is working 10000 miles an hour this morning. Hope this makes sense. Xxxx

Totally Kimi. Thanks for the advice.:biggrin:

wow interesting thread for me... Im thinking i need to up some of my prices come new year :)))
I charge
£20 c/bd
£38 roots
£40 half head foils
£50 full head foils
and all colours inc c/bd!!!!
and i give oap's discount!!!!
Imma put my prices up!!!

Hi,
I charge :
CBD 25, reduced to 20 after a colour
hhf 30
fhf 45
tint 20

Think it depends where you live aswell. Im in hampshire now but when i lived in London i charged alot more. :lol:

Tell me about it! I used to charge 35 for a cut and blow then moved to west midlands and my prices dropped, I average 25 for a c/bd and 70 ish for foils and c/bd x

roughly the same as me because of where i live, 20mins up the road is the nearest city (Norwich) and they charge so much more. People think they are a better stylist if they charge more, which is wrong u have to price yourself within the market! x
Tell me about it! I used to charge 35 for a cut and blow then moved to west midlands and my prices dropped, I average 25 for a c/bd and 70 ish for foils and c/bd x

roughly the same as me because of where i live, 20mins up the road is the nearest city (Norwich) and they charge so much more. People think they are a better stylist if they charge more, which is wrong u have to price yourself within the market! x

It really kills me somedays when i look at what I've taken and it used to be double that for the same amount of work but no one will pay 35 for cut and blow-dry round here! X

Interesting thread,
I charge
10 b/d
20 cut.&b/d
40 tint and cut
30 t bar
50 full head meche
Started off too cheap and sorry now but don't want to raise prices for a while yet.

Hiii, don't under price yourself i think your prices are quite low, you are offering a professional service that the client cant do themselves! I charge £40 for half head h/l , £50 for full head h/l, £35 for a tint & £20 for a cut&blowdry. I have lots of clients and my prices are just average for my area. Have a look at what other mobiles in your area are charging and that will give you an idea of what you should charge! x
I agree with your opinion.

this is a good thread, i always used to charge extra on top for my cuts .. i never included them with color work ..
but over here they all seem to so i have re jigged my pricelist so much i dont know wether i am coming or going !
i would rather do them seperate so think i will go back to how i know it best , lol thanks guys , its great seeing how many other people do things x

Latest posts

Back