How often Do you manicure yourself?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fab Freak

Reaction score
After seeing GMG post about a hand model i took a good long look at my hands any thought my my don't these look old.. :o

I apply hand cream every time I wash my hands and apply solar oil twice or at least once a day but what elese can I do to improve my hands apearance.

I have nice long fingers with a strong natural C curve but thats not enough...and I always wear gloves when gardenening, cleaning etc

So what more can I do ....should I perform a weekly manicure or more frequent ...

What do my fellow geeklets do?

Louise

I am worse than you. I too have long fingers and reasonably long nails but have a couple which are somewhat wayward since the nailbed is a bit crooked (when you look down the barrel of the nail) and curl their own way (think that's courtesy of 16 years spent biting them) I too use solar oil twice a day (sometimes more if I can remember) but I rarely use hand cream and never wear gloves to protect my hands from anything. I do keep my cuticles in order and always wear nail polish and make sure it is kept chip free. But I never seem to have time to do a proper manicure. The best thing that happens to my own hands is when I do manicures/pedicures on clients for the residue of products on my hands is wonderful and at the time they feel almost as good as my clients. Would love some tips on a quick fix though.

Same here. My hands a lovely after performing a spa manicure or pedicure.

Although every time I pass the finishing lotion I do apply it. It smells lovely

Tut tut ladies:lol: .......you are professionals and surely this means that daily you have clients coming to you and asking you how best to look after their ailing hands and nails.

Listen to your own advice........what would you recommend a client if she were to come in with your hands and nails? Give it a go you might find your advice rather useful lol!

Adele;)

This is all very well - but once a week aint enough for me - I would have them every day...lol

Hiya Lou!

I keep the mini pots of Spa mani and pedi in my bathroom and use them a couple of times a week, usually at obscure times! like if I get up at 3am and need the bathroom I'll think 'I'll just give myself a quick Spa mani'! I must admit when I read the thread about the hand model I thought mine were a little below par! J xx

My own nails are worn natural, with no enhancements, and I try to manicure them twice a week. Once just isn't enough! My cuticles get bad, and my hands get dry from all the water I'm in at work. I treat myself to a spa manicure, and paraffin treatments, which really do make your hands soft, and younger looking. But I have to say it's no fun doing my own nails. Even when I wore enhancements it was a chore to do. One of the 6 techs I work with is a really great tech (I'm picky!), and we give each other awesome mani's and pdei's. My nail beds are long and square, and very healthy. After they've been manicured, I reapply top coat/strengthener everyday (solar oil 3x/day).

I have just finished a man/ped course and my hands and feet are missing the weekly practices on each other. I consider I have my Mum's hands - old and wrinkly, although I have long fingers and long nail beds, which gives the appears of long nails even though the free edge is not long (if you understand what I mean!). I always wear gloves when washing up and cleaning and use handcream and solar oil regularly. I have just ordered the Wax Master Paraffin wax kit from Ellisons and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. Then I will be paraffin waxing myself to death!! Especially with the onset of colder weather :biggrin:

toodles said:
I have just ordered the Wax Master Paraffin wax kit from Ellisons and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. Then I will be paraffin waxing myself to death!! Especially with the onset of colder weather :biggrin:
I love 'paraffin waxing' myself, especially my feet. Lovely and warm... Hmm, my hands aren't too bad at the moment. I usually do a manicure every week, and use lotion when I remember, same with cuticle oil. I know I don't use it as often as I recommend to my clients, but it's hard doing my own nails!

I have midlength natural nails that will grow and geow if I don't trim them, but I do...I try to keep them polished, but I rarely do a full mani on myself. I have, however, put one acrylic nail on just to get the feel of it and feel what happens when I bang it, if it lifts, what the dremel feels like, etc. I think I might do better work with the dremel and acrylics in general if I had a better idea of what it's like to wear them myself.

Callie said:
I have midlength natural nails that will grow and geow if I don't trim them, but I do...I try to keep them polished, but I rarely do a full mani on myself. I have, however, put one acrylic nail on just to get the feel of it and feel what happens when I bang it, if it lifts, what the dremel feels like, etc. I think I might do better work with the dremel and acrylics in general if I had a better idea of what it's like to wear them myself.
Callie what do you mean by Dremel?

In the UK a Dremel is a DIY cutting and drilling tool :!:

I have to say i do a mani at least once a week on myself and use the cuticle oil at least once a day. It is hard to sometimes practise what you preach, but then it helps when you get clients with similar problems, then you can say, i do this to help the dryness or whatever. They then look at yours and see it works and do it themselves.

Latest posts

Back