How often do you wash your hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollyGold

Reaction score
Hello.
I'm not a hair geek I'm a skin geek.
I wash my hair everyday/ every other day and I know this is bad, I've not washed it since Tuesday but it looks awful. How do I get longer out of
washing it.

I normally wash my hair twice a week but I am going to my personal trainer twice a week now so wash it both those nights and a Sunday night. So it's nice and fresh for a Monday morning. I would not wash it more than three times a week though. I have quite long and very thick hair.

I wash my hair everyday but if I don't I look like it's been stuck in a chippan :( I would love to not wash it everyday but it's short and needs washed,dried and styled.

I wash my hair everyday but if I don't I look like it's been stuck in a chippan :( I would love to not wash it everyday but it's short and needs washed,dried and styled.

Yeah I think if your hair is styled then you probably would need to wash it so you can blow dry it into the style or it prob would not sit right. I don't have any style so most days just tie my hair up. I only style it if I am going somewhere.

Yeah I think if your hair is styled then you probably would need to wash it so you can blow dry it into the style or it prob would not sit right. I don't have any style so most days just tie my hair up. I only style it if I am going somewhere.

Should have said going somewhere special rather then just going somewhere.

I have long hair, I wash it once or twice a week depending what im up to, use to wash it every other day but that was before dry shampoo was widely available, I love my dry shampoo :-D

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

That's what my hairdresser said 2- max 3 times a week. But I've gone 3 days and it looks so bad :( my hairs longish and thick. It's just the roots that look awful x

I use to wash my hair every other day then I had extensions put in so couldn't wash it as often. Was hard to begin with, dry shampoo came in very handy! I guess my hair got use to it. Now I have my extensions out I can leave my hair 3/4 days and still looks fine :) xox

You will have to train it to not need washing.
Over washing the hair strips the scalp of its natural oils, when they are missing the scalp decides to make more and so when it's used to constant washing it also gets used to producing oils constantly, and don't be using dry shampoo unless its an emergency.

I will explain from a daily washer, and just continue from where it is on how often you wash it.

Stop washing daily and take it to every other for 2 to 3 weeks or until you notice it's not looking as oily as it used to after 24 hours, from every other day leave it two days again for 2 to 3 weeks, from every two days take it to every three and so on.

Over time you will notice the scalp stops panic producing oils. Stop using shampoo for greasy hair from day one. This helps strip the oils just making the scalp produce more, move to a normal shampoo, colour care or whatever your stylist recommends to keep your hair in good condition and achieve the style you want.
On a side note, OTC shampoos only help hair look oily because of the build up of silicone so switch to a professional shampoo. X

That's what my hairdresser said 2- max 3 times a week. But I've gone 3 days and it looks so bad :( my hairs longish and thick. It's just the roots that look awful x

Dry shampoo is a savior, have you tried it at all :-D

Oh, and I wash mine twice weekly usually, sometimes 3 times depending on situations such as product use. X

Thank you for the reply it explains so much. I'm using a special shampoo as I've had a brizllian blowdry. :) xx
You will have to train it to not need washing.
Over washing the hair strips the scalp of its natural oils, when they are missing the scalp decides to make more and so when it's used to constant washing it also gets used to producing oils constantly, and don't be using dry shampoo unless its an emergency.

I will explain from a daily washer, and just continue from where it is on how often you wash it.

Stop washing daily and take it to every other for 2 to 3 weeks or until you notice it's not looking as oily as it used to after 24 hours, from every other day leave it two days again for 2 to 3 weeks, from every two days take it to every three and so on.

Over time you will notice the scalp stops panic producing oils. Stop using shampoo for greasy hair from day one. This helps strip the oils just making the scalp produce more, move to a normal shampoo, colour care or whatever your stylist recommends to keep your hair in good condition and achieve the style you want.
On a side note, OTC shampoos only help hair look oily because of the build up of silicone so switch to a professional shampoo. X

Dry shampoo is a savior, have you tried it at all :-D

I have it the past as I find that dry shampoo helps make my hair easier to curl and do bits with.

I usually do mine every 5th day if I can be bothered....
How terrible of me ;)
I use talc if its a bit oily or rooty!
It's growing nicely now, because I don't need to blow dry and straighten very often!

Every hair type is different!

X

I wash mine every other day as it sticks up everywhere when i dont - i have got a bit better with not using heat on it though, i let it dry naturally now and only straighten if i am going somewhere special. My hair is dead straight so i guess im lucky because its so thick.

Not a hair Geek; may I ask why washing it every day would be considered a bad idea, if you use a really fine quality shampoo/conditioner ?

As a skin Geek I would advocate twice daily cleansing for the face etc. Whilst acknowledging that the hair itself is "dead", the scalp surely needs very regular cleansing?

Genuinely interested, and hopefully on topic!

To be honest, in my opinion washing it daily is no problem whatsoever if you are using a good quality shampoo and conditioner, like Joico or Pureology.
If you find your hair getting greasy too often, its quite possibly down to WHAT products youre using, as many contain non water soluble silicones that practically laminate the hair, making is dull and lank.
Use the good stuff, and stay away from the talc - its not designed for absorbing grease on the scalp. A dry shampoo (again good quality) it better for a quick refresh. Joico do one called instant refresh which I actually use on clean hair sometimes, as I find it a bit "floppy" when fresh to do anything with. The instant refresh just dries the roots up a little so I can style it.
xxx

Joico is what I'm using currently, and loving it.

Latest posts

Back