How popular are Fibreglass nails????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherp

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Have been qualified level 2 & 3 for a few years now and have my own home based salon which is coming along nicely.
My question is, I am a few weeks off being qualified in nail extensions, Fibreglass and Acrylic. I love doing Fibreglass and everyone I have practised on have been very impressed. Acrylic not going so well but know this is down to practise, practise, practise. However I really dislike doing them and also the smell of the monoma is driving me mad.
Do you think I could get any business from just doing Fibreglass or should I try and get over my hang ups for Acrylic.
Thanks peeps

H xx

Hiya I only qualified last June but have done quite a few clients and not one has asked for fibreglass - the reason being that it isnt as strong as gel or acrylic and personally I find it too fiddly to do! I have opened my own nail bar and only offer gel or acrylic. The nails do look nice when done in fibreglass (I changed to using silk while at college - it blends in better as sometimes I could still see the mesh from the fibreglass). You will get the hang of acrylic - it just takes time. Even now I still sometimes mix it either too wet or too dry so I just wipe it off onto a tissue and do it again! good luck with your course!:)

Hi Guys

Have been qualified level 2 & 3 for a few years now and have my own home based salon which is coming along nicely.
My question is, I am a few weeks off being qualified in nail extensions, Fibreglass and Acrylic. I love doing Fibreglass and everyone I have practised on have been very impressed. Acrylic not going so well but know this is down to practise, practise, practise. However I really dislike doing them and also the smell of the monoma is driving me mad.
Do you think I could get any business from just doing Fibreglass or should I try and get over my hang ups for Acrylic.
Thanks peeps

H xx

I learnt fibreglass and gel initially.I much prefer gel between the two.
I am at the mo dabbling with acrylic and deciding whether to do a course.I know what you mean about the smell but i still find it better on my lungs than silk/fibre i dont like doing them at all.Although i think if you can do them really well they can look fantastic.Not very well known now though, i dont think people will seek them out.

Last edited:
IMO it's all in your attitude. If you like doing Fiberglass/silk and do it well then your client's will like it too. Most client's don't really care what product you use. It's the end result they want.....that they have nails! I built quite a good size business with silk nails and they hold up just fine. If you have someone who is in water a lot it may not do as well.

Might I suggest you check into doing resin acrylic dip system (Backscratcher's Extreme line)? It is using the resin adhesive like you do with fiberglass and then you dip their nail in acrylic powder. This is great alternative to fiberglass (and can still use fiberglass with it, although not necessary) and you will be offering more durability to your clients and there is no odor. And it is easy to use.

Check with your local supplier and see if they carry this type of system. There are other companies who are offering this type of product line.

To answer your question. I run a very successful and thriving business from a home salon using Fibreglass only. I personally trained in all three systems. I never really got on well with gel and I just hated the smell of monomer, it affected me and I could smell it all around the house even when I followed every tip and trick to minimise it.

Clients are more interested in beautiful looking nails rather than the system used. I personally find fibreglass to be very strong and have no problem with natural nail wraps or extensions.

Also, once you perfect your skill with fibreglass you will never see the mesh.

Latest posts

Back