How to advise against NSS tactfully?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkSwoon

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just going through my FAQ & I want to address NSS salons to clients tactfully but I'm struggling at the minute.
Here's an example of another of my FAQ questions:

''I got my nails done in another salon but I would like them to be removed, can you do them?

As our customers, your safety is of the utmost importance to us. If you’ve had your nails done elsewhere then choose to come to us, we will usually require you to come to your appointment with naked nails. This is because we cannot guarantee what the product on your nails is; a lot of salons use products which are dangerous & not licensed for use in the UK so we like to make sure that your nails are completely free of product before starting your treatments with us.''

Can you think of anything along those lines?

I think you shouldn't state that the products other salons use are not licensed as this could cause more trouble than it is worth. I always say to my clients it may be best to firstly get their nails removed by the salon that did them as they can gurantee they remove them the correct way as sometimes not all products are the same in each salon.

... a lot of salons use products which are dangerous & not licensed for use in the UK ...

I don't think it sounds very professional to make such sweeping generalisations as you can't possibly back it up with concrete facts and it just comes across as snippy. Sorry!

Much better to simply ask that clients come with bare nails otherwise you will need to charge £xx for removal or that the Salon policy is not to remove enhancements applied elsewhere as you cannot guarantee that you use the same products and techniques for removal.

Thanks guys! I knew there was a better way to say it, I just couldn't think, I had writers block haha. Thankyou

I just remove them and charge accordingly. As I'm soaking them off I state why they smell fishy and also point out to them that their nails may be in a poor condition after due to the electric nail files being used on the natural nail. They usually then say that if they do t look nice can I have Gelish or something on. Hey presto I gain a new client and of course book their next appointment.

I know it's a pain removing these awful nails, but you usually gain a client. So don't put them off in any way, it's the other salons loss and our gain.

Education is key! There a number of nail salons near my salon and I've heard and seen horror stories from them all! Before removing a product applied elsewhere I try and get as much info from the client as possible as to what they have, how it was applied, where were they done, how long it's been on etc. You can usually get a good idea of what you're dealing with and how much time you will need. From that I will then educate them on the varying types of products, nail care, sanitisation etc, without making generalisations and also warn them what their nails could look like after. If you've explained worst case scenario before touching your client they are prepared and know you have not done the damage. Clients love honesty, we have converted so many 'nail bar' clients by educating them.

Latest posts

Back