How to do nail polish for a 1940's look?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lavander Rose

Reaction score
Hello all you nail geeks.

Im not a nail geek ( yet ) will be doing an acrylics course at the end of the month, I am an Holistic and Beauty Therapist though.

My question to all the nail geeks on her is.

Can anyone tell me if they know how to do a 1940,s look on the nails???

I have a client who came into my salon today for a trail lash perm and tint and just b4 she left said that she would come in for a trail 1940,s look on her hands she gets married in a few weeks.

OMG ive never seen this b4 though have been told you leave the half moon out, hmmmmm can anyone tell me how to do this please :) i dont have a clue lol..:confused:

Last edited:
Hey there,

Because the moon is left unpainted, it is known as a moon manicure.

Search for pictures of burlesque queen and 1940's enthusiast Dita Von Teese, she always wears a moon manicure in red (the nail polish colour most associated with the era)

A very easy way to achieve it is to buy french manicure guide tabs (Boot sell them). Instead of sticking them at the start of the free edge stick them over the moon, apply base then polish wait until dry remove tab, neaten if necessary, apply top coat and voila perfect moon manicure:)

Last edited:
Red was the colour in the 1940's & OI!! long b4 my time:lol: i did this at college in my 1st yr the 1940's look and i used Vamp Red over the whole nails i did glamour them up a bit with a few rhinestones on each of the pinkies here is dita von tesse with some examples

Dita_Von_Teese_4743a.jpg

VTCT L2 BEAUTY THERAPIST
VTCT L3 HOLISTIC THERAPIST
VTCT IHBC L2 NAIL ARTIST/TECH
STUDEX CERT EAR PIERCING
VTCT L3 DIP HEALTH,SAFETY,SECURITY & EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS

X Jane X

The real key to health and happiness and success is self knowledge

I did this look for the YSL adds a few seasons ago (some of the images are still around for ySL sunglasses)

To be realistic, the moons need to be different sizes (think of the difference between the thumb and little finger!) Nails for advertising need to be as immaculate as possible so I used the sticky dots you find in stationers. You can get them different sizes.

Decide if you want the moon to be painted or left natural (natural is MUCH quicker) then use the dots to mask the 'moon' while you paint the colour.

Or, even quicker is airbrushing of you do it

Latest posts

Back