How to handle criticisms of your designs?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popular Polish

Reaction score
Hello lovelies.

I'm going through a tough time and not accepting clients at the moment. I'm struggling with depression so (I'm sure a lot of you have experienced it at some point) simple things get tough. You start to take things to heart:

On my Facebook fan page, one of my friends (Not a close friend, just a 'hello in the street' one) commented saying "This is the first I do not like. Sorry." And I deleted it straight away as I was worried it would start getting to me, as i'd keep looking at it (One of my therapists says to immediately remove anything that flares up my depression or anxiety, including things like this I will go over and dwell on). However she noticed I deleted it, and sent me a message saying she has the right to voice her opinion and that I need to keep all comments good and bad. I tried explaining but i feel like i'm being made out to be the bad one for not letting everyone's opinions public.

I don't feel any hostility towards her now, i just feel quite miffed as I try to create something for everyone, and didn't ask for opinions so wasn't prepared. I've stopped offering manis recently because of my mental state and some issues at home, so I only continue doing new designs for my few fans.

My question is (After this LONG explanation...), how do YOU handle simple criticisms? I'm sure a lot of you will have had a genuine complaint, so I'm wondering how you deal with it, as it's your talent, your work and skill! Also, why do I seek constant appraisal, why can't I just brush these simple things off? It's LIFE, after all!

(For those wondering, it is the bacon design in my album!)

She should've kept her opinion to herself BUT it was only her opinion and just because she didn't like it doesn't mean that hundreds of others won't think it's fabulous!
I did a french mani in vinylux today and I HATE french thought it looked horrid but my client was over the moon and even text this evening to say how much her fiance liked it!
It's easy for me to say don't let it bother you or rise above it but I'm not in your emotional position. While you're not strong enough to rise above it limit your posts to family only or something so no one will upset you x

Thanks for your reply, I'm just struggling to accept the simplest of things, even though the logical side of my brain understands. I think it's my ego, going "Oh God. I'm terrible. Don't ever make another design!"

It's hard to limit it, as i have 13k fans and the number is one of the few things that keeps me going! :p x

Maybe change your Facebook settings so you get to approve anything before it goes on your wall.

Don't let the comments get you down!

Keep deleting those comments, it's your page and you decide what's on it! Yes everyone have their own.opinions, but.unless asked she shouldn't have put that on your page. It's rude, she didn't need to pass comment.
When I don't like something I don't feel the need to put somebody down because of it!
Really, you don't have to explain yourself to someone who has put you in a bad place, I understand if it's someone you could bump into on the street why you wouldn't just delete them. Just brush it off hun, she will move on :)
Keep the head up, I get requests all.the time that I don't even really like, and clients.pass comments when flicking through my pics of what they do and don't like (when choosing what they want), I just say well, the client has her own taste.and gets what she wants! Everyone.like.different things and it makes my job alot more interesting!

Maybe change your Facebook settings so you get to approve anything before it goes on your wall.

Don't let the comments get you down!

That's a good idea actually, turning approval on means people can't complain if it doesn't show up!

Yes everyone have their own.opinions, but.unless asked she shouldn't have put that on your page. It's rude, she didn't need to pass comment.
When I don't like something I don't feel the need to put somebody down because of it!

That's what I was thinking, I don't feel the need to tell people what I think, unless It's going to make them smile!

Thank you lovelies <3

Wow I think all your nail designs are brilliant and very creative... Wish I had such skills, I can't do the simplest designs in nail art lol. You've got to remember you can't please everyone.. Just forget about the comment, it's not worth being worked up over. Xxx

Wow I think all your nail designs are brilliant and very creative... Wish I had such skills, I can't do the simplest designs in nail art lol. You've got to remember you can't please everyone.. Just forget about the comment, it's not worth being worked up over. Xxx

That's very kind, thank you! xx

My question is (After this LONG explanation...), how do YOU handle simple criticisms?

You cannot be all things to all people. In other words, you can't please everyone all the time - indeed, the world would be a pretty boring place otherwise.

I think, as you develop as a professional you learn that the only person who's opinion counts about that particular design is the client who is walking arond, delighted for the next few weeks.

Chin up, eh?

Now, I'm off for a nose :D

When you put your work up for show on Facebook or on your website you are in actual fact inviting comment.

This lady was not being rude by saying she didn't like this design in particular. She just didn't like it.

And I have to agree with her that good and bad comments should remain - but you could respond to her comment in a positive and humourous way.

Maybe say something like - 'Lol, my next design will blow your socks off xx'

This gives other potential clients confidence that you know how to deal with criticism and are still proud of your work regardless.

I hope you are getting the help you need with your depression my lovely, I am sure it can be very debilitating :hug:

xx

I think by just laughing it off, it wouldve given you confidence and given less power to your critic. I think your friend probably thought you were strong enough to handle her opinion of what she wouldnt like for herself. Maybe she didnt realize it would hurt you. Maybe she doesnt think your skill is bad but that design just wouldnt suit her just like we all have different preferences..
I also think that you are giving criticisms too much attention and if you do that with other things in your life, no wonder you are depressed! Sorry to bring religion into this but when I want to find my identity, I turn to the bible. God made an awesome beautiful lady who doesnt need to please anyone but her maker.
You shouldnt care about what people think. I bet you are great at what you do. Stop looking for others to agree.

Your Facebook page is there to promote your business. It doesn't make sense to keep negative comments on there.

The only person really who you should worry about is your client.and whether or not they like their nails. By posting on facebook you arn't inviting 'criticism' unless you post the words asking for it! She was being rude in my opinion, fair enough she doesn't like it. By posting on one pic, does that.mean she likes every other design? No, but if she had then.I would see her point. Anybody knows this has the ability to harm a business, and no.client wants to.come across her.nails being put in a bad light. It makes her think twice about her own style x

One of my clients put a post of the Minx I did. the application was fine, but her feet were SO ugly I deleted it. I don't think she's noticed yet!!!

On a more serious note - the reason it is so hard to take criticism like this is because it is just us - we're not a corporate company, or a large group where the criticism can be diffused, it is very personal. If a client doesn't rebook, we feel it is a judgement against us personally and our skills, and if they don't like what we do, it's so personal, so I don't think you're on your own.

By complete coincidence, the client with the ugly feet is my biggest critic. She complains all the time about my wax is too hot, I've missed (imaginary) hairs. She sits up and says 'pass me the tweezers' and plucks imaginary hairs from her legs. She is a grade A nightmare, and since our business has grown, she complains more. If she made a comment on my FB page I would delete it. I don't necessarily think you're inviting criticism, you're sharing information on your FB page, and if it's detrimental to your business and yourself then I would delete without hesitation!
Good luck in your recovery x

I just also wanted to point out that criticisms arn't really beneficial IN THIS WAY. Each client decides what they want. Really if you want constructive criticism it should be off nail techs, people who can judge the structure/shape/time and effort and not focus on the design that could be anything like......streaks of bacon. The design is irrelevant x

I think it is down to how you are feeling at the moment that you took her comment in a negative way.
She did after all say this was the first one of your designs she didn't like...therefore she has liked everything else you have done !!!
Not everyone wants bacon and eggs on their nails, so it wasn't really being negative at all, and a response like Jaquelinanna said would have been good and got everyone wondering what you were going to come up with next.
I also hope you are seeking professional help for your depression and not trying to get through it yourself :hug:

Chin up and keep polishing lol

Also you are an artist, a nail artist. All art is subjective wouldn't you agree? If we all took pictures of our nails and put them on the walls of the Tate Modern and invited people to come in and have a look. (Which is in actual fact what our FB pages are.) we would expect the viewing public to oooo and ahhh or say "I don't get it" or "that's my kind of art."
It's all in the eye of the beholder it's just with FB it's written down. Perhaps a reply to any negative criticism about your nail art would be exactly what I've said. What suits one doesn't always suit another, art is subjective. Flowers, dots, stripes, cartoon characters, words, diamonds, fruits, veg, meats. What ever you want, you can design it. Now go do another design with a full English breakfast on it....... That'd go viral. Keep strong. X

Chin up my lovely. Her comment says everything about her and nothing about you. I believe if people want to leave a comment it should be constructive, her comment wasn't in the slightest. I don't believe you've invited her to do anything, nor to I believe the way you are feeling has anything to do with it- id feel exactly the same whether I was suffering with depression or feeling ok.

Keep smiling my lovely and continue to delete comments that are not constructive.

Hugs missus x x x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I was always taught if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all.

Perhaps she is jealous you have your own business?
x

I would just support what Izzidoll has said. Try to focus on the fact that she has said she has liked all of your other designs. I personally would say it was just her saying the design wouldn't be for her. Granted, sending you a message separately was unnecessary in my opinion but she quite possibly didn't realise how upset it would make you.

Having personally experienced bouts of clinical depression myself over the last 10 years I know how you are feeling lovely. One of the symptoms I experience when poorly is self doubt in everything I do, and I take any comments very personally and to heart, whether they are meant that way or not.

I've had a quick look through your designs and personally think they are wonderfully creative (I LOVE the cupcake ones!), don't allow this throwaway remark to bring you down. Focus on the positives, you have a massive 13K + following of likers who wait with anticipation for your next design (I only have 26!!!), and for every one that doesn't like a particular set of nail art, there will be many many more who do - you can't please all of the people all of the time.

I'm sure we've all been asked to create designs for clients that personally we hate, and dread that client posting pictures saying how wonderful they think they are!

Keep your chin up, look after yourself and your mental wellbeing and I hope that the darkness lifts a little soon.

Much love xxx

Latest posts

Back