How to make traditional polish last longer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nk nails

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i'm still quite new to doing nails and have a question, I hope it doesnt sound silly. I have a client who is getting married and is wearing red. she wants extensions put on and then painted red in a traditional polish with some gold nail art. I have told her this could chip quite quickly as it is just a normal polish. I advised her to maybe think about having a gel polish put on but she said no. Question is... is there any way I can make normal polish last at least a week on her nails. Will coating it in clear hardgel as a top coat lock in the varnish? or maybe a gel top coat and curing that?

Any advice would help
thank u

Hi everyone, i'm still quite new to doing nails and have a question, I hope it doesnt sound silly. I have a client who is getting married and is wearing red. she wants extensions put on and then painted red in a traditional polish with some gold nail art. I have told her this could chip quite quickly as it is just a normal polish. I advised her to maybe think about having a gel polish put on but she said no. Question is... is there any way I can make normal polish last at least a week on her nails. Will coating it in clear hardgel as a top coat lock in the varnish? or maybe a gel top coat and curing that?

Any advice would help
thank u

Did she ever had extension (i think you mean tips) with nailpolish on? Is this the first time she's getting marry?
Ben there, done that, but not wit polish on tips ;)
I would make a bet she will lose at least 2 nails on her wedding day...
She needs gel for the strenght, you can put regular nailpolish on top of it if she really wants to. But :rolleyes: why?
I'm sure you can talk her out of this :hug: (not the wedding, the nailpolish)

Greetings from Belgium,
Conny

What are you using for the enhancents? Have you considered using coloured gel/ acrylic powder so the enhancement itself is red, then just do your art on top and seal with uv topcoat? Hth xx

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek

You'll find that traditional polish will last well over enhancements. It doesn't tend to chip, it tends to wear/fade at the edge of the tip.
So your client should be fine if you are doing her nails just before her wedding day.

You can get gel topcoats that work over polish, but with high quality polish and topcoat it shouldn't be necessary.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

I have hard gel enhancements and I sometimes wear opi polish and it wears well and lasts, I use lumos top coat.

thanks for the replies..

conny... my client has had gel extensions before but no colour put on them.

sarahj25... my client wants gel extensions, obviously the gel I use is hard gel that you have to file off when you remove the nails. If i was to use a coloured red gel for the colour, would I apply that last after I have done all gel application ? I'm confused.

Noticable nails thanks for the advice, If I cant talk my client round to having a coloured gel I will just use the polish as it will last a few days at least.

I use nsi balance hard gel and they have lots of colours which you can apply after doing the enhancement then I'd top coat in gaze n go

I use nsi balance hard gel and they have lots of colours which you can apply after doing the enhancement then I'd top coat in gaze n go

Okay so you complete the hard gel application like you normally would. But then add you colour gel. I use nouveau nails products because thats what I trained with. My colour gels are soak off ones so would that be okay on top of the hard gel? sorry for all the questions. I just don't want to do anything wrong if i manage to talk the client into having coloured gel.

It'll last a lot better than just a couple of days!
I would expect only to see the wear I mentioned after a couple of weeks, unless she's planning on shifting gravel, doing landscaping or typing a novel after her wedding! ;-)

The other benefits of using polish on this occasion is that you most likely have a good range of polish thats suitable (no need to buy a coloured gel that might sit on the shelf unused), your client can remove the colour if she wishes, the colour coat won't add bulk to the enhancement and it's also less pricey for your client.
Therefore everyones happy :-D

It'll last a lot better than just a couple of days!
I would expect only to see the wear I mentioned after a couple of weeks, unless she's planning on shifting gravel, doing landscaping or typing a novel after her wedding! ;-)

The other benefits of using polish on this occasion is that you most likely have a good range of polish thats suitable (no need to buy a coloured gel that might sit on the shelf unused), your client can remove the colour if she wishes, the colour coat won't add bulk to the enhancement and it's also less pricey for your client.
Therefore everyones happy :-D

yes your right. I think she was planning on changing the colour of her polish before her honeymoon so would work better for her to have a traditional polish. So I think I will just stick to that. Thank you

But just so I know for the future, if I ever did get a client who wanted colour gel on top of her gel extensions. Would it be okay to apply the soak off gel on top of hard gel enhancements?

I always tell my normal polish customers to re-top coat after a few days to make it last a bit longer

Was just gonna say that too.........apply more topcoat after about 3 or 4 days to prevent the polish wearing off at the edge.
It should last much longer on acrylic than on natural nails, so she should be fine.
:hug:

You can use soak of gel over hard gel enhancements but unless you were removing the enhancements you would need to buff of the soak of gel.

I find normal polish lasts ages on extensions. Polish often chips because nails bend - extensions don't. (if using over acrylic must remove with acetone free remover).

Thanks for all the help xx

Latest posts

Back