How to repair a natural nail breakage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lolly22

Reaction score
Hi gals,

My client has broke her nail whilst wearing shellac. I was wondering the best way to salvage this? It has broken quite far down but still on if you get what I mean? I dont do any gel or liquid and powder just shellac and normal manicures, anything I can do for her?

Thanks,

had the same problem with my own nails last week. Got my therapist to apply base coat, then fibreglass over the split and cure. Proceeded as normal with rest of shellac, but used 2 layers of top coat on split nail. One week later, all still intact.

Other techs may have different/better solutions that I haven't tried (this was first time we tried this), but it has worked so far. hth

Look forward to any better solutions.

I'd love to hear the answer to this! I want to stick to natural nails but know that accidents happen and would love to be able to fix a broken nail. Is it difficult to apply fibreglass? Does it require training? This is probably a stupid question..sorry! I'm a newbie! xx

Hi gals,

My client has broke her nail whilst wearing shellac. I was wondering the best way to salvage this? It has broken quite far down but still on if you get what I mean? I dont do any gel or liquid and powder just shellac and normal manicures, anything I can do for her?

Thanks,

I had the same problem with a client last month...then I watched this video from the AMAZING Holly.....Problem solved :wink2: hth xx

Repair with Fiberglass in Shellac - YouTube

Thank you! That's great - she makes it look so easy! Again, this is probably a stupid question, but what happens when you take off the Shellac? Does the fibreglass come off too? Or does it grow out? If it grows out does it leave a ridge? Really sorry if these are daft questions!

not a stupid question.

The fibreglass should come off when shellac removed. Reapply fibreglass over split each time untill it has grown out of free edge.

hth

That's brilliant!

Where have you found the best fibre glass wraps to be from?

not a stupid question.

The fibreglass should come off when shellac removed. Reapply fibreglass over split each time untill it has grown out of free edge.

hth

Thank you! Best get practicing! So much to learn!! X

Could I also ask if you require training to do these repairs for insurance purposes?

Thanks x

Thanks girls! I check this vid out after. Xxxx

I have only ever bought 1 pack by star nails (from my local capital warehouse) they are pre-cut & have self adhesive backing so there's not alot of trimming needed. There are probably loads of different brands but all do pretty much the same thing.
When the shellac base coat is applied, it just melts into the fibreglass & yes, when its time to remove the shellac, its comes off as easy as the rest.

LucyF....you dont need training for insurance purposes, just your basics hun :hug:

I'm back with another question! I had to remove my Shellac for my natural nails course and typically I've now split a nail! I don't do my Shellac training for another 2 weeks and don't want to go and have them done at a salon - I want to wait until I can do it myself! So my question is...I have bought some pre-cut fibreglass, but when I bought it there was all sorts of 'bits' like activator to go with it! In the video (above) Holly just adhered the fibreglass to the nail and put the basecoat on. Will this only work with Shellac basecoat? If I'm using CND 'sticky' basecoat do I need to buy the fibreglass 'bits' to make it work?!! Again, apologies if this is a daft question! Thanks in advance. xx

To fix a broken natural nail I use a new t-bag (empty the contents first, lol!) and cut to size over the break. Put some nail glue on top-not too much, just enough to wet the t-bag and wait to dry. Then you can put polish over the top while you are waiting to do you Shellac course.

I wouldn't advise leaving it au natural, or putting a clear polish over the top as its a bit ugly, but it works a treat (just keep it to yourself and don't make it look like a t-bag you are cutting up in front of clients!)

Xx

To fix a broken natural nail I use a new t-bag (empty the contents first, lol!) and cut to size over the break. Put some nail glue on top-not too much, just enough to wet the t-bag and wait to dry. Then you can put polish over the top while you are waiting to do you Shellac course.

I wouldn't advise leaving it au natural, or putting a clear polish over the top as its a bit ugly, but it works a treat (just keep it to yourself and don't make it look like a t-bag you are cutting up in front of clients!)

Xx

This brought back memories of fixing nails when I was a teenager. I'd forgotten all about the teabag method!

Xx

Wow! Thank you! Never heard of that but will certainly give it a go. :hug:

Is Shellac on its own enough to stop a break getting worse?

Is Shellac on its own enough to stop a break getting worse?

It's stopped a few on this clients nails. But some of her nails have still broken. I think it just depends, but I wouldnt rely on it. X

Last edited:

Xx

You've not been talking to that Nailsinlondon1 have you!? :wink2:

Brilliant tip that may be very handy for many if that dont have fibreglass to hand when needed.

Can someone please tell me where i can buy some of the fiberglass so i can offer this service

I totally forgot about this thread when I had my panic on the other day! My thumb has a rip half way down, that is about 2mm. I have Gelish on right now and have to leave it on to see if my application technique makes it last (I'm at the 2 week mark tomorrow). So, I've been thinking how I can get around this, without removing everything and re-doing my thumb.

I can't get hold of those fibreglass wraps that Holly shows on the video and am happy to try the teabag on myself. Would I be doing it right if I...

Buffed off the shine of the topcoat and wiped
Applied the teabag to cover the rip using the tiniest amount of nail glue
Apply one colour coat of my existing colour and cure
Apply top coat x2, curing in between
Final wipe.

Latest posts

Back