How to respond?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this is totally the clients fault for not paying to have them removed although I dont think its hard to do! in not sure how I would handle the situation though. I dont think I would do anyrhing for free but I suppose you could offer ti look at her nails and advice her. I bet if she just buffed them they would be good as new lol

I really like nicole333 idea about selling removal packs what a great idea x

Thanks, I forgot to say when she contacted me to ask about removal she had already started to try and get it off and was having trouble which is why I tried to explain how to do it properly.
I will look into making my own removal packs =) if anyone has eBay links for the acetone proof bottles etc please pm me =) thanks!

Just another thought on home removal - I purchased some removal wraps from wowcher for my OWN use, just to try for myself as i find removal a faff on myself and they are really good. They are like a little sealed square envelope, you rip open at the top and inside is a piece of lint soaked in solution, so you stick your finger in and fold the edges in to make it more snug.
I must say i find the removal much quicker and better than either dissolve or NH remover. There is no ingredients listed on the packet or box, but smells just like any other remover, not acetone, but I know it will be in there.
Just wondered if anyone else had tried them and your thoughts, I think they would be good to retail ??

I actually give my clients a soak off kit... Got 240 nail file, little bottles that I put proper remover in 10 /20 wraps and cuticle oil plus an aftercare advice leaflet in a pretty organza bag.. It costs little to do and id use the products if doing in my salon but this way they can do at home and saves me 20mins.. Let's means their nails last longer as use had cuticle oil I give them.. Everyone lives a going home bag!!! Plus so much competition in the area it gives an edge x

Hi Kara can you please explain what you have in your removal packs and how much you charge - mainly how you store a small amount of remover, what container do you use for the liquid? and what do you put the kit in? a photo would be great too if you could :) I have bought a couple of the Gelish removal kits in the past to try but have to retail them at £10 and people just don't want to pay it so they are gathering dust xx

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Sorry its a bit late, here's what I put together, I charge £6. They sell really well and I have repeat customers too, however, most clients come back for removal but some like to have a pack to do a home removal and other like to have it as security blanket!

Karaxxx

Attachments

• removal pack.jpg
    removal pack.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 435
In my experience I would recommend no client tries to remove there own gel polish.. I explain to then when applying them that they can only have them professionally removed as they never know when to stop filing 🙈
I'm sure acetone doesn't solely get it off.. The remover for gel is different to extensions..
Unfortunately there is always the odd person here or there that will do this.. I would probably ask her to come in to look at her nails then you can see by looking at them what she has done then try to go from there..
Good luck 😊

Sahara ☺️

I would def get her in to have a look at these!!

I'll bet that most of us have picked/bitten/peeled our gel polish off ,with minimal damage to our nails, so how she managed to do such damage to hers is interesting, to say the least, especially as there's a wedding coming up..

I, too, reckon she's after a free service, however..it does sound as if she MAY have had extensions in the meantime after seeing you,as she had her service with you a month ago, and possibly didn't like them and has pulled them off herself, which may have caused the damage she is suggesting was caused by gel polish??

Surely any remover that has acetone in it will remove Gelish? I have tried a few types in my time..all seem ok, unless of course, client got non-acetone remover, which of course wouldn't work... ;)

Def need to ask some probing questions on this one, use 'open' questions that start with who, what, why, where, when & how, that way she has to tell you what happened, not just yes or no answers..

Please let us know how this turns out..

Love the idea of a removal pack, definitely want to do that!

Also think it's quite harsh to blame the tech for most of what the client has said. Yes removal instructions could have been a little clearer but a month after an appointment I wouldn't expect a huge amount assuming she's done nothing to her nails! Also yes she may have damaged them removing but probably not as much as if she had just peeled them off (and even then that's unlikely to make your nails red and sore!)

I think for next time maybe just be clearer when clients book about price of removal xxx

I put my own together and include a 30ml bottle of either DSolve or NR (charged according to choice) some bandage style wraps from Sally's for ease of application by a non professional so they get the best chance of good contact on the nail. There is an orange wood stick in the pack and I also include a mini Solar Oil.

I'm not comfortable saying what it costs me on an open forum but it's not hard to work out. I buy the acetone resistant bottles from ebay. I retail the DSolve ones for £7 and the NR ones for £8. The liquid will be enough for x2 removals so they have the option to buy extra wraps from me. They also get full printed out instructions and extra advice from me if they needed it at the time.

For them to return to me I charge £8 for a removal appointment alone, including shaping of the nail and a moisture pack of Cuticle Eraser, Solar Oil and hand massage with CND lotion.

do you label bottles as i was led to believe acetone etc cannot be sold or given without proper health and safety instructions on it?

It seems as though people aren't really answering your question and rather telling you what you've done wrong.....

The damage is done, it is in fact HER fault, and not yours. She payed the price by damaging her nails. There is a reason why you hire a nail tech to apply, therefore, it's common sense that you hire one to remove!

Here is my advise, you asked what you should reply. Id explain to her nicely that this is why it's important to get it removed professionally, nail damage and especially pain is not something that should ever happen - unless of corse, the polish has been peeled or scraped off too harshly. I'd offer her maybe a free application only before the wedding AS LONG AS SHE PROMISSES TO COME SEE YOU FOR REMOVAL next time. This way you will impress her by your offerings and concern. The last thing you need in this industry is a bad reputation...which even tho what happened to her, isn't your fault, she will definitely play it out to people that it is.... In the end, giving you a bad rep... As nail techs, we all know how quickly the word spreads! So by offering a free service she will tell everyone her situation and how great you accommodated her .

do you label bottles as i was led to believe acetone etc cannot be sold or given without proper health and safety instructions on it?

Yes I make the warning labels with the correct symbols as well as text and put this on the bottles. I also include additional warnings in my removal instructions. Not doing these things would be really irresponsible.

Latest posts

Back