How to speed up gel polish service?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smuff

Reaction score
I was told by the tech from my course that it should take 30 - 45 mins to do a Gel Polish. Well it is taking me an hour and a half. How long should it take to do this service. I'm using UV instead of LED so I know this is adding time. Any advice anyone. 😳

She's right honey but it depends what condition the nails come in, in. My step mums are always foul as she has them
Only for occasions and its 20/30 mins before I've got them prepped because they are rank lol! Xxx

Yes i agree on an average nail its that time x
But not everyone has average nails and some are horrendous and wana look like a hand model in 30 mins lol x

Do be to harsh on yourself for timing,

Do you have a timer lamp? Xx

Yes my lamp has a timer and I do find myself waiting around being UV. But I find its the prepping stage that's takes the time. I am really new to this trade and hope that I work quicker the more I do. I wonder does everyone soak the nails or just get on and remove cuticle and push back.
Here's my routine
1- shape nail
2- apply cuticle remover then soak
3- repeat on other hand
4- push back cuticle and remove excess
5- buff nail with white block
6- wipe nail with hygiene spray
7- dehydrate
8- bonder
9- base
10- colour
11- second colour coat.
12- top coat
13- wipe off
14- cuticle oil

Yes my lamp has a timer and I do find myself waiting around being UV. But I find its the prepping stage that's takes the time. I am really new to this trade and hope that I work quicker the more I do. I wonder does everyone soak the nails or just get on and remove cuticle and push back.
Here's my routine
1- shape nail
3- repeat on other hand
7- dehydrate
8- bonder
9- base
10- colour
11- second colour coat.
12- top coat
13- wipe off
14- cuticle oil

Can I ask what system you are using as different gels require different prep?

I use Gelish and Shellac and they take me around an hour, maybe more if they have neglected their nails. I know i'm not the quickest but it is slowly improving. Some ladies I can apply Shellac in 45 mins... But that's not often.

I dry prep with Shellac and Gelish and do not soak so maybe you could use Cuticle away instead of soaking as this would reduce your time????

I use Gelish and Shellac and they take me around an hour, maybe more if they have neglected their nails. I know i'm not the quickest but it is slowly improving. Some ladies I can apply Shellac in 45 mins... But that's not often.

I dry prep with Shellac and Gelish and do not soak so maybe you could use Cuticle away instead of soaking as this would reduce your time????

I agree, I think 30 mins shellac application is mega ambitious and only holly schippers and Geeg can do it lol (ok maybe a few more ;) )

It entirely depends on the state of the
Nail, give your self time. Soon you will find your self working quicker but as long as you provide a good service and can make conversation your clients won't notice, but they will notice how lovely their nails are x

I use Signature, so yes maybe the soaking is taking up the time. Do you think it would be quicker with LED? X
I would be happy if I could get it down to an hour. To be fair I usually do most prep whilst the client is between hair services. But it's when it's just a nail app that it takes so long.

I use Signature, so yes maybe the soaking is taking up the time. Do you think it would be quicker with LED? X

I guess it'll only make it quicker if you can polish quite quickly. I have a CND UV lamp for Shellac and my Gelish LED lamp and it makes no difference really as I'm not that quick at polishing, so I'd say no, not really.

It's not worth rushing the application. As long as the prep, base coat and first coat of colour is done really well, then the second coat and top coat can be done a bit quicker.

With me it's the prep, and the removal and re application that takes me the longest. I agree with the comments above, as long as you are thorough and the clients are happy, I wouldn't worry. You'll naturally get quicker with experience. :)

I agree, I think 30 mins shellac application is mega ambitious and only holly schippers and Geeg can do it lol (ok maybe a few more ;) )

Nail, give your self time. Soon you will find your self working quicker but as long as you provide a good service and can make conversation your clients won't notice, but they will notice how lovely their nails are x

Thanks for that. I've only had one case of nails lifting or chipping. And I do usually find it really easy to chat face to face with my client instead if through a mirror when doing their hair. The clients do seem more relaxed with nails than hair in my salon. 😄

I guess it'll only make it quicker if you can polish quite quickly. I have a CND UV lamp for Shellac and my Gelish LED lamp and it makes no difference really as I'm not that quick at polishing, so I'd say no, not really.

It's not worth rushing the application. As long as the prep, base coat and first coat of colour is done really well, then the second coat and top coat can be done a bit quicker.

With me it's the prep, and the removal and re application that takes me the longest. I agree with the comments above, as long as you are thorough and the clients are happy, I wouldn't worry. You'll naturally get quicker with experience. :)

Thank you for your comments it's nice that people actually take the time to help. 😎

I can apply Gelish successfully in about 20-30 mins but I use two UV lamps on either side of my desk so maybe this helps me be so quick, before anyone says i mustn't do all the steps I do!! I do manage all the prep but am just super quick like clockwork now as have been doing it for so long. If I have a quiet day I may slow down and take a little longer and have a chat with my client :)

Rather than doing all the prepping at the beginning. I wonder if it would help to prep one hand totally and the apply the base coat. Whist that hand is in the lamp, start prepping the other hand. Keep switching hands. You could almost finish the prepping of the second hand while completly finishing the first hand IYKWIM. I do it this way and I know it cuts down my time considerably.

I'm not a nail tech but know smuff is a stylist as well,
When you first started colouring how long did a full head foils take?? Ages.

What would your advice be to someone else?

Take your time, do it perfect and your time will pick up over time,

What exactly do you really mean by the "state of the nails"? You have to clean the surface of the nails when using Shellac ... That is IT! You don't have to buff them, you don't have to use a primer, you don't have to remove sticky tac from the surface ... Why should you have to do anything else but perhaps file the free edge?

I use the CND UV five finger Lamp and it does not hold me back. 30 minutes for painting ... 45 minute if removal is included. If anyone is taking an hour or more, it is not your UV lamp that is holding you up! It is how slowly you are applying the polish or how many extra processes you are having to include in your application when using gel.

You need to paint faster and I have posted tips here on how to do it.

Here's my routine
1- shape nail
3- repeat on other hand
7- dehydrate
8- bonder
9- base
10- colour
11- second colour coat.
12- top coat
13- wipe off
14- cuticle oil
Wow that is some list ! No wonder it takes so long :)

My advice....cut out the soak, only dinosaurs soak lol!
Soak used to be what was taught years ago before we had decent cuticle removers/softeners. I have posted on this many times, also soaking nails prior to a painting service (be it Gel or straight polish) makes the nailplate swell and it can cause service breakdown when it shrinks back to normal after your beautiful paint job!
Step away from the soak bowl!

Your prep will soon speed up as you get more experienced and proficient.
My prep
shape nails on right hand and apply cuticle remover
Shape nails on left hand apply cuticle remover
Remove cuticle on right hand now remover has had time to work and clean off remover
Ditto left hand
Remove shine with fine buffer both hands(omit this if using Shellac)
Cleanse and dehydrate nails on both hands

Then I am ready to apply my basecoat,colour coats and topcoat.

I use 2 UV lamps so when one hand is in curing I am painting the other. I often get a cheer from my clients if I finish painting a hand at the exact same time the lamp clicks off :biggrin:
Although on my second colour coat I tend to be a bit faster as the precision work is already done on the first coat, and I need to remind my client to keep her other hand in the lamp as there is still 10-20 seconds to go! I love a good countdown.

From Izzi
My advice....cut out the soak, only dinosaurs soak lol!

I'm a dinosaur and I don't soak!! :biggrin::Love:

You are looking for future chipping and peeling troubles if you soak the nails before a gel polish or Shellac service.

it takes me 30-40 for shellac application and 40 mins for gel application, up to an hour including removal.

As said you need to cut out the soaking but also if you stop when you are chatting instead of carrying on working those extra few minutes here and there to stop will affect your timing. Be mindful next time you do a set of nails if you are stopping xx

I am sure we all chat to our clients, isn't that what really brings them back?:wink2:
BUT we need to chat and work, chat away during removal as that is the only down time but when painting my head only pops up for eye to eye contact when my clients tells me something really shocking or funny :eek:

I do as JuicyLucy said; I prep one hand then base coat, whilst curing I start prep on other hand, keep swapping hands. That way I never have to sit and wait

I am a 2 light nail tech. My clients love it because they don't have to contort themselves on the 2nd hand. Virgin nails I can do in approx 35mins and with re apply 45mins. One of my lamps stopped working recently and thought I could do without it but couldn't. if you can invest in the 2nd light, do so it is a great selling point.

Latest posts

Back