How to use crushed shells???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xAnnaBannAx

Reaction score
good morning all :) Did my cousins nails yesterday...thought id try something new for me... my 5th set of nails on a real person and my first time using clear tip and crushed shells...i found it really tricky and would really like to know what i did right and wrong and the proper techniques etc so next time i try i can be certain im doing things right and hopefully they will look a whole lot better than yesterdays attempt! lol

I used clear tips and prepped, blended etc as usual....then i tried dipping my brush into liquid...powder...then shells...and put it on the free edge...then covered it all using clear powder ( was so thick! )
Tried putting a thin layer of l&p on then putting the shells onto that...then cover all over, and also tried putting adhesive on the tip/free edge then dipping it into the shells.....then covering all over with clear.

I found using adhesive was the quickest, easiest and thinnest to do but im not sure if its ok to do it like this?

In general i found it really really difficult to create an overall nice shape of the nail because the free edge was so bulky...and they all just ended up way to thick and i had to do loads of filing to get them to look in a reasonable state....i wasnt happy at all lol...i also found myself using my fingers to press all the shells down evenly which i know i shouldnt be doing but everytime i tried with my brush..i couldnt get them flat enough plus the shells kept coming back off and sticking to the brush :irked:

Id love to know how everyone else does it and keeps it thin......pleeeeeeease x

Attachments

• 100_0741.jpg
    100_0741.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 195
there is no right or wrong in nail art... what looks fine to the eye is the key.

I think your thickness issue comes from the tips. they may be too thick on the first place, and then the rest will be too thick too. I usually apply a thiiiiiiiiiiin layer of clear l&p then my shells, that I work a bit to have them as flat as possible, then re apply clear if needed or a finishing gel, but a thicker one.

there is no right or wrong in nail art... what looks fine to the eye is the key.

I think your thickness issue comes from the tips. they may be too thick on the first place, and then the rest will be too thick too. I usually apply a thiiiiiiiiiiin layer of clear l&p then my shells, that I work a bit to have them as flat as possible, then re apply clear if needed or a finishing gel, but a thicker one.

I did blend the tips in and thinned the free edge before putting anything on them.
This may sound silly but I wondered if it was a bad idea to stick them down with adhesive before putting any l&p on because i was thinking that you usually remove all the shine on the tip before putting product on so that it adheres properly...so I was thinking adhesive is shiney...and the shells are shiney...so would that pose a risk of the l&p not staying stuck on for long...? ifykwim

If you want to use a clear tip with crushed shell you have to make sure it the thinnest possible. I like to use the clear tips from ProImpressions, they are thin and flexible.
You can find them here:PRO IMPRESSIONS
I often sculpt when using crushed shell to reduce the bulk of them too.
I also find it alot easer to pre mix my crushed shell with my polymer prior to application (same ratio I would use for glitter).
I hope this helps you, dont give up!

I sculpt most of the time to be honest and I find it easier when using glitter or crushed shell. Does your course cover sculpting?

I sculpt most of the time to be honest and I find it easier when using glitter or crushed shell. Does your course cover sculpting?

alright stevieness! god i kept trying to talk to you on face book the other night but my comp went all slow and annoying...i gave up in the end! lol not sure actually if were gonna be doing any sculpting....i havent tried doing that yet...looks scarey lol but will have ago myself soon enough (that should be a laff! lol)

If you want to use a clear tip with crushed shell you have to make sure it the thinnest possible. I like to use the clear tips from ProImpressions, they are thin and flexible.
You can find them here:PRO IMPRESSIONS
I often sculpt when using crushed shell to reduce the bulk of them too.
I also find it alot easer to pre mix my crushed shell with my polymer prior to application (same ratio I would use for glitter).
I hope this helps you, dont give up!

I never even thought of mixing it with my powder first...thanx i might give that a whirl as well

I had the same problem with Uv gel and them being too bulky.
Now I mix them into gel, and place as needed, cure, and gloss over.
Solved the issue to some extent.
I also prefer that there be 'clear' between the shells and the natural nail so when I file them off, I have a margin where I don't touch the nail.

So, I file the nails shorter than usual, and sculpt with the shells a tad past the free edge to the usual length. This allows me to get them as thin as I'd like.

Hth's

I had the same problem with Uv gel and them being too bulky.
Now I mix them into gel, and place as needed, cure, and gloss over.
Solved the issue to some extent.
I also prefer that there be 'clear' between the shells and the natural nail so when I file them off, I have a margin where I don't touch the nail.

So, I file the nails shorter than usual, and sculpt with the shells a tad past the free edge to the usual length. This allows me to get them as thin as I'd like.

Hth's

I never thought about that either tbh...to keep a margin between the shells and tip...thanx for the advice

Latest posts

Back