How would You Define An Emulsion?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
I have a big cosmetics chemistry test on Monday and I am doing my head in:grr: over emulsions and emulsifiers. I seem to have conflicting ideas about this and I am not understanding my college notes :rolleyes:. The more I try to understand, the more I confuse myself. Easily done though, lol.

So to simplify things, this is my definition of emulsion:
The mixing/blending of 2 substances which would not
usually mix eg) oil and water, using an emulsifier.
The use of an emulsifier allows the substances to mix.

Is this correct?

Hiya Tracey

I found tis definition on the tinternet for you if it helps:

Emulsify means combining two liquids together which normally don't mix easily. The ingredients are usually oil or a fat like olive oil or egg yolks, and another liquid like water or broth. Acidic liquids like lemon juice help the process by changing the pH of the mixture. The liquids are combined very slowly, usually drop by drop, while beating vigorously, which suspends drops of liquid throughout each other. Bearnaise, hollandaise, and mayonnaise are examples of emulsified foods.

I found that thinking of food emulsifying helped me understand its definition.

Hiya Tracey

I found tis definition on the tinternet for you if it helps:

Emulsify means combining two liquids together which normally don't mix easily. The ingredients are usually oil or a fat like olive oil or egg yolks, and another liquid like water or broth. Acidic liquids like lemon juice help the process by changing the pH of the mixture. The liquids are combined very slowly, usually drop by drop, while beating vigorously, which suspends drops of liquid throughout each other. Bearnaise, hollandaise, and mayonnaise are examples of emulsified foods.

I found that thinking of food emulsifying helped me understand its definition.
Bless you hun :hug:. I have been beating my brain but think I understand it now. I did try looking on the web, but the definitions appeared to explain differently to my notes and I was becoming more confused.

Now that you have explained it so well, I am looking forward to applying an emulsion of bearnaise or Hollandaise to someones face during a facial:lol:. xx

Bless you hun :hug:. I have been beating my brain but think I understand it now. I did try looking on the web, but the definitions appeared to explain differently to my notes and I was becoming more confused.

Now that you have explained it so well, I am looking forward to applying an emulsion of bearnaise or Hollandaise to someones face during a facial:lol:. xx

:lol::lol::lol:

BTW - i love emulsion facial products - they just seem to work so much better - it must be the egg whites that do it! :lol:

Any liquids can become an emulsion if you shake them vigourously together. However an emulsifier is a chemical which prevents the liquids from separating again. Emulsifiers are added to most costmetic preparations so that the mixture remains a mixture when it is sitting on a shelf. There are some eye make-up removers that consist of two liquids which do not mix until you shake them together, after a few minutes you can see them separate again - just a bit of fun really - but that is what it's all about eh!

Funnily enough I'm teaching about emulsions on Monday morning with some level 2 students. I have some experiments for them to do. I hope that they are as enthusiastic about grappling with concepts as you obviously are!!

Good luck with your exam.

this probablt doesnt help..but I rememeber that test!!!

Thanks geeks. I really appreciate the input :hug:. I think I have knocked elmulsions on the head now as long as I remember oey's Bearnaise facials:lol:. I am now trying to get my head around surfactants and surface tension :rolleyes:.

Ahhh well, tomorrow is another day and I'm off to :zzz::zzz::zzz:now.

Latest posts

Back