How would you normally reply?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurachicgeek

Reaction score
Hi all, not long started out in the mobile beauty business but I'm getting really miffed. When ever I'm doing treatments on certain clients I'm getting asked "so how much do you really pay for the products then?" As if I'm going to tell them the real price of the products and where I buy them from! Thats like asking so how much do you get paid per hour in your job! Just want to know if you get asked this question what are your answers??? I want a good come back answer for the next perso to ask!!!

I usually say, "While the products and equipment were a large investment on my part, the cost is largely irrelevant. Clients pay for my time, my training, my experience, my expertise... Not the product."

I would just say something like oh too much! But if they keep pushing you I would maybe just say something ridiculously expensive lol! Or that you don't disclose that with clients as its your personal business.

I honestly don't remember the price of most of my product so I just tell them so. Xoxo

I've not had this yet but I think I'd say something like - well the training was £300 a day so you can imagine how much I've spent in total!

i just say that i am not allowed to disclose that information as they are professional products but if pushed i say something like the training and start up cost is £xxxx, that usually does the trickxx

I honestly don't remember the price of most of my product so I just tell them so. Xoxo

That's a good one. Just be all hmm mmmm oh you know I can't even remember what am I like? Lol!

I always just laugh and say 'you don't want to know' and if they push I say 'well into four figures' and leave it at that.

One of my ladies said to me..

So how much does a bottle of shellec cost you

I replied £**.** plus VAT

she said oh.... I thought it would be like a fiver.

She's not asked since

I dont get asked this often ,but just let them know that my instal lay out for my home salon was £10'000 plus and I don't really what to know how much more I spend on stock and bits and pieces every month ,just list all the stuff you need to do the treatment properly ,not to mention insurance training ,the space you have gave up in your home ,i do hair and beauty so have gave up my dinning room and a bed room :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Ladies often ask me this during shellac, and I tell them honestly. I don't tell them how much my cost per service is, but I'll say a single bottle of shellac colour is X, the base and top coat are X each, let alone the lamp costing blah and All the pep products. My ladies are then left wide mouthed and stunned. I'm not lying. I'm being honest with them. But I'm just choosing my information I tell them.

I usually say, "While the products and equipment were a large investment on my part, the cost is largely irrelevant. Clients pay for my time, my training, my experience, my expertise... Not the product."

Ab-so-bloody-lutely! I, occasionally, get questions like that about how much my design software is (as if you just have to hit a few buttons and out comes a perfect design).

You might want to remind them of the costs (in both time and money) of educating and training a professional like yourself.

I could tell you but then I would have to kill you.

Or inflate the price by 5 times ... they absolutely do not need to know what you actually pay.

hehehehe

I could tell you but then I would have to kill you.

Or inflate the price by 5 times ... they absolutely do not need to know what you actually pay.

hehehehe

My £10 item cost me £26,000,000 haha xoxo

Have been asked this a few times over the years . I simply say ' I am sorry but I do not divulge my professional prices , and leave it at that .

I don't go into Tesco , buy something and then ask the cashier what they actually paid for it !!! and I don,t see that this information is ANYTHING to do with my customers .

For starters I reply with a laugh and 'a lot' if they ask further ill say I've lost count of the amount I've spent between training, stock, insurance furniture but well into a 4 figure sum. That's usually enough. I actually have lost count, its all saved in my accounts though but I don't keep the running total in my head :)
I agree its cheeky to ask, but a huge majority of my clients do . X

I get asked a lot too - people think our jobs look easy and get this idea into their head that 'she's doing well, I've been here for 40 mins and I'm paying £25! I could set up and do it too'...

I tend to say "put it this way, I spent well over £5,000 setting up and my stock has to be replaced every week, not to mention insurance (class 1 business for car, increased premiums on home & contents, public liability)..." They shut up then, the nosy buggers.

xx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back