Huffed client rant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iv been doing beauty a while never heard of this waiting. I was told 3-4 wait not because u have to just because of hair growth and fading process.
I have some clients who fade alot quicker than this I would quite happily do treatment again if no previous reactions patch tests done etc. Bit like infills have clients go 2weeks others 4.

But if thats how u been trained u only following what u thinks right so stick to ur guns.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've never heard of this either, when I was at college I was told that if clients asked how long it would last you would say 3-4 weeks depending on hair growth, it can sometimes be sooner, just like hair removal.

Perhaps it was the way you said it that got her back up - I'm not saying that you were rude but sometimes we can all say things that are misinterpreted. Also we all know that if you tell a client something that they don't want to hear they can get huffy, for example "if you've not had tinting done at our salon before, we have to do a skin test 48 hours before", I'd be rich if I had a £1 for every client who said "why? I've had it done at other salons loads of times and you're the only salon that has ever asked for that!!", I've had people walk out in a huff.

If that is what you were taught, stick to your guns but maybe give her a ring and ask if everything is ok and explain again that you only had her best interest at heart and reiterate why you were using your watch.

Thanks guys. Yeah same here with college advice about being careful when using hydrogen peroxide to often on the brows or lashes. I've recently just bought a new tint so I will be giving everyone a text just to say they will need a new patch test prior to their next tint x

Thanks guys. Yeah same here with college advice about being careful when using hydrogen peroxide to often on the brows or lashes. I've recently just bought a new tint so I will be giving everyone a text just to say they will need a new patch test prior to their next tint x

I think that is just scaremongering by your tutors/college. There is a hydrogen peroxide mouthwash readily available in T***o's supermarket advertised for daily use, for goodness sake. We need to follow some common sense too.

Do you need to patchtest your new tint 24-48 hours before every application? Will your clients agree to that?

Agree to what? Having a patch test done with a different brand? X

Agree to what? Having a patch test done with a different brand? X

I was told that with certain brands of tint, patch testing needs to be done with every application. So that means with every brow tint, they will need to be tested 24-48 hours before.
I just wondered if that was the requirements of the tint you are using or not. Don't think my clients would accept that.

I was told that with certain brands of tint, patch testing needs to be done with every application. So that means with every brow tint, they will need to be tested 24-48 hours before.
I just wondered if that was the requirements of the tint you are using or not. Don't think my clients would accept that.

Apparently patch testing prior to every tint was required by Refectocil in their old formula but is no longer required in their new formula (obviously the initial patch test is a given!) check the box of the tint you are using and just make sure you follow manufacturers instructions.

In terms of how often you can apply tint, I'd read the info given with tint and check with insurance but unless it's for a specific reason I think the college tutors are being a bit OTT! Eyebrow hair usually sheds every 28days or so anyway so why so cautious with re tinting?!

Never heard if that, normally one test would suffice. My new tint only requires one test which i will need to do before their next tint. Otherwise I'd be risking a reaction.

Apparently patch testing prior to every tint was required by Refectocil in their old formula but is no longer required in their new formula (obviously the initial patch test is a given!) check the box of the tint you are using and just make sure you follow manufacturers instructions.

In terms of how often you can apply tint, I'd read the info given with tint and check with insurance but unless it's for a specific reason I think the college tutors are being a bit OTT! Eyebrow hair usually sheds every 28days or so anyway so why so cautious with re tinting?!

Just completed my level 2 this year and our college insisted that we patch tested prior to every brow/lash tint. (this was with salon services tint) And the hairdressers had to patch test every time too, so you can imagine we didn't get many models!

?..

Eyebrow hair takes about 4 months to complete it's growth cycle so that's why the advice is not to tint it more frequently than every 3-4 weeks.

Eyebrow hair takes about 4 months to complete it's growth cycle so that's why the advice is not to tint it more frequently than every 3-4 weeks.

Hmm... I just googled after I read your comment and there seem to be lots of differing opinions on the length of the growth cycle! Wikipedia does say around 4 months but I rarely trust Wikipedia on it's own!!!

Either way, very few beauty therapists seem to have been given the advice regarding waiting 2-3 weeks between tints. My cidesco teacher didn't mention it!

Yes, you can't really trust an online source unless it's taken directly from a recognised published article.

I was looking through my old hairdressing notes on my computer and came across my notes on the hair growth life cycle.

For instance, with scalp hair, if you repeatedly tint over the same area, it saturates the hair and makes it look dull.

Eyebrow hair is usually coarser and has more Keratin in it.

This is all very confusing. I trained in college about 6 years ago with salon services tint but we only tested once but was told that you shouldn't tint until 3-4 weeks after on brows and 6 on lashes. And now it's coming out that some people will tint every week, others that have been through college have or haven't heard of those apparent time restrictions and having to test every time. Funnily enough refectocil is my new brand and it says just to do one test. Something says that there's a rabbit off with info from training.

This is all very confusing. I trained in college about 6 years ago with salon services tint but we only tested once but was told that you shouldn't tint until 3-4 weeks after on brows and 6 on lashes. And now it's coming out that some people will tint every week, others that have been through college have or haven't heard of those apparent time restrictions and having to test every time. Funnily enough refectocil is my new brand and it says just to do one test. Something says that there's a rabbit off with info from training.

Not sure if you are referring to me at all with your last comment (and please don't take offense and ignore this if you aren't!) but just so you know Im cidesco trained and actually use combinal tint so haven't taken any of my info from a Refectocil training course. Like I said - if my comment is irrelevant please ignore it :) xxx

If it's this confusing for us, imagine how confusing it is for clients!

The main thing that you need to know is what are the restrictions for your tint and for your insurance. I started tinting brows as a hairdresser years ago, and we used to just slap on a bit of whatever was going on their hair. Oh, for the good old days!
I have only just completed my Level 2 beauty for insurance purposes, as I have only recently come to live in the UK. I am confident in what I do and the procedures I use.

Nono I don't mean anyone specifically. Just in general there's so many different opinions and views. You would think all training with a product in college should all be pretty similar especially when using the same products. I don't mean to sound offensive by any of my comments at all. It's very interesting to hear all of the different views. But due to my training and insurance I stick to what I was taught with regards to tinting. Although I'm sure by now there will be products that can be used weekly. In the good old days what was said for one was said for the other. Life was easier then. Same goes for talc and waxing ETC x

I qualified 10 years ago and never heard of the waiting either, in fact I think we tinted each other's eyelashes/brows twice a month in facial class.

Nono I don't mean anyone specifically. Just in general there's so many different opinions and views. You would think all training with a product in college should all be pretty similar especially when using the same products. I don't mean to sound offensive by any of my comments at all. It's very interesting to hear all of the different views. But due to my training and insurance I stick to what I was taught with regards to tinting. Although I'm sure by now there will be products that can be used weekly. In the good old days what was said for one was said for the other. Life was easier then. Same goes for talc and waxing ETC x

Ahh good! Just wanted to check as would hate someone to think I was one of those sneaky distributors or something 😂🙈 I can't believe all the different opinions either - for once I thought with tinting everyone had been taught the same thing!! Oh well, I'll stick to what I was taught and what my tint allows me to do as well 😊

That's the good thing now a days. As long as you follow your guidelines everyone's happy apart from the odd client. And yeah we tinted almost every week too but only using the tint and not the developer as the tint is based on a vegetable dye. So many different options.

Latest posts

Back