Hunting: What Are Your Views?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything living has a right to live that life.
Im sure there are ways to deter foxes, keep them off your farm etc... without getting them ripped to shreds? on the other hand, they can be a pest and need to be controlled, but ripping them to shreds is instant death at least.. laying in traps maimed is not a nice alternative!

But I am a big animal lover... I mean big time....
but if it did stop, thousand of hounds just get shot instanly? or forgotten and not wanted?

we will never stop this..we will never agree.. Tony Blair tried and got bombarded and only reduced it to rules that if they dont 'plan' to kill the fox.. is isnt punishable!
which is just creating a massive loophole to take advantage of.

Take responsibility and build better boundaries and fences I say, no matter how big or small your land.. protect your livestock properly if your a farmer..
..run the retired 'hounds' in agility or similar.. and scatter bait with contraceptives in for the foxes..to keep the populations down.
in an ideal world, this way everyone is happy, but we dont live in an ideal world...

So, I am sorry to say it but I am on the fence with this one..:grr:

Am sorry to sound nasty - but how many people have actually been on a hunt??? Not many of you I would have thought - you will find that on a proper fox hunt the dogs are only used for sniffing out the fox - the master then trails the hounds and calls them off once he reaches the fox - the fox is then shot dead before any real harm is done - the whole point of a hunt is the trailing of the fox - in many cases its never caught and it rarely suffers!!!!

Am sorry to sound nasty - but how many people have actually been on a hunt??? Not many of you I would have thought - you will find that on a proper fox hunt the dogs are only used for sniffing out the fox - the master then trails the hounds and calls them off once he reaches the fox - the fox is then shot dead before any real harm is done - the whole point of a hunt is the trailing of the fox - in many cases its never caught and it rarely suffers!!!!

Not on the clips on the news I saw when it was all going through the news.

Even a local called into a radio station at the time and was so upset on the phone saying the dogs caught up with the fox in her garden and she saw it ripped to shreds right in front of her!!

In theory, those hounds are trained to hunt AND KILL. I doubt they even listen to what the master squeels at them with the fox already in their mouths.. or at least inches away! They are pack animals and just go in for the kill, literally.
The only way for the master to get to the fox first is if the hounds are behind him and surely thats impossible?

No I have never been on a hunt, and never will have the desire to go on one either :eek: :cry:
xxx:hug:

I am against sport hunting.

Also, even if the hunter does hunt because he likes to eat that kind of meat, keep in mind, it's still a sport to him. Why? Cause the sod plans to put that deer's head on his wall or stuff what's remained of the pheasant or fish etc. At least, there are a lot like that. Not all hunters, but a lot.

I feel that if they are truly hunting to eat the meat, then that's all well and good.
BUT no one should be allowed to stuff an animal and to use it's remains as a trophy.
It's uncivilized and it's undignifying for the poor animal. Yes, he/she's dead. That's not the point.
Can you imagine dead people being hung on walls and sitting on mantles with glass eyes staring at ya?

Hunter's should have respect for the animal who's life they have taken.
Very few do.
:irked:

No
I have not been on a hunt.
However, how can you sit there and tell me that the fox is not suffering when it's fleeing for it's life in terror and fear????:eek:
HOW is that not suffering and cruel? To chase this animal down for sport? It's certainly not to feed someone's hungry belly.

Maybe someone should chase you with a nasty pack of huge dogs, bigger than yourself and see if you like it.
And if you're not lucky, they'll catch you and shake you about before someone puts you out of your misery.

Try to think from that point of view. From the fox's. Walk a mile in his shoes.
I know that I dont want to.

No
However, how can you sit there and tell me that the fox is not suffering when it's fleeing for it's life in terror and fear????:eek:
HOW is that not suffering and cruel? To chase this animal down for sport? It's certainly not to feed someone's hungry belly.

Maybe someone should chase you with a nasty pack of huge dogs, bigger than yourself and see if you like it.
And if you're not lucky, they'll catch you and shake you about before someone puts you out of your misery.

Well Said!!!! I would give you pos rep for that but have to spread some round again!! :lol:

To be fair the 'sport' of hunting has been occurring for hundreds of years so has the squashing of flies and the catching of mice and rats in traps - I cannot really see the difference - to me a hound catching a fox is the same as your pet cat bringing in a mouse or a bird - what people dont realise is that in rural communities foxes are vermin as are rats ad pigeons in the cities

No

My sil has just informed me that an healthy fox is simply too fast to be caught.

Therefore it is ill,lame foxes that are caught and shot,more humane than letting them deteriorate in the wild.

No

Well said babe I am not even gonna get started on this subject.

Dawnie xx

To be fair the 'sport' of hunting has been occurring for hundreds of years so has the squashing of flies and the catching of mice and rats in traps - I cannot really see the difference - to me a hound catching a fox is the same as your pet cat bringing in a mouse or a bird - what people dont realise is that in rural communities foxes are vermin as are rats ad pigeons in the cities

The difference being you dont see 100 cats chasing one mouse I agree that is nature, but Humans with dogs hunting foxes is not nature!!!!!!!!!!!! never has been never will be its just for sport.

I live in a rural community and miles from anywhere and I do not think ANY animal is VERMIN... even a rat I wouldnt say is VERMIN and they say your closer to them if you live in the country but I wouldnt kill it if I came across one!

Like I said before.. Everything living has a right to live that life. even a little fly!

I agree with what you are saying and I dont go about killing animals not even flies but it annoys me when people say its cruel but they dont bat an eyelide to the rats, pigeons etc etc that are caught, trapped, killed etc - thats all I'm saying

Becki thank you for letting everyone no that sometimes the foxes are not caught because they are too fast - did sort of mention it!!!!

Nowadays when drag hunting takes place the farmers have to compensate for the hunting ban and go out and shoot the foxes which they are completely and legally allowed to do - are people going to try and enforce a ban on this as well now cos to me its no different to being hunted down - worse sometimes when the animals are not killed instantly

Everything living has a right to live that life.

Take responsibility and build better boundaries and fences I say, no matter how big or small your land.. protect your livestock properly if your a farmer..
..run the retired 'hounds' in agility or similar..

What type of boundary or fence would you propose?

My pigs were in last night, the fox ripped through some netting and clawed its way into a barn. Fences do not keep foxes out. The way you are sugesting would result in intensively reared livestock, costing more to rear than it could be sold for, its just not feasible. Plus are these animals not deserving of a higher standard of welfare?

No one is going to spend time retraining hundreds of hounds to do agility, this is a job to the people involved there is simply not the time or money.

Chasing a fox cannot be compared to a human, they are predatory wild animals, this is their nature and way of life, yes there is a level of stress for all wild animals but try not to humanise it too much their perception of it is far different.

I honestly think that this thread is going to be of those, will all have our opinions and it could continue till the cows come home or are shot.

I honestly think that this thread is going to be of those, will all have our opinions and it could continue till the cows come home or are shot.

Completely agree, think its one of those where everyone has to agree to disagree.

What type of boundary or fence would you propose?

My pigs were in last night, the fox ripped through some netting and clawed its way into a barn. Fences do not keep foxes out. The way you are sugesting would result in intensively reared livestock, costing more to rear than it could be sold for, its just not feasible. Plus are these animals not deserving of a higher standard of welfare?

No one is going to spend time retraining hundreds of hounds to do agility, this is a job to the people involved there is simply not the time or money.

Chasing a fox cannot be compared to a human, they are predatory wild animals, this is their nature and way of life, yes there is a level of stress for all wild animals but try not to humanise it too much their perception of it is far different.

Yes I agree, you forgot to include the rest of my quote where it said all this would be ppossible IN AN IDEAL WORLD.

However, not impossible with government backing to pay for costsfor strong fencing not netting and re-inforced barn panels,,,, but again... thats back in the ideal world again... Still on the fence and not having a go at anyones views. xxx:hug:

I agree totally-this is a thread on very dodgy ground-why not just start one on religion?!Thats how u start a good war...

Oh come on, we are adults, and hopefully can discuss an emotive subject without pulling each other to pieces!?

I certainly didn't post this to start trouble, I did it because I saw something last night that brought hunting to my mind and wondered of I was just being overly sensitive and wanted some educated views from informed people on the subject.

I try to be open minded, try being the important word with me!! I like to know about other people and how they view things too. I think there are certainly more risque threads that could of been started. I was just being optimistic that this one would be discussed properly?? Or nieve? I'm not sure!! lol

I thank everyones who's replied, it's made interesting reading I think?

I agree and I'm going to give up argueing my side for the sake that no-one will ever win

I will say tho THANK YOU to Sammi010 because I dont think people realise how much of a problem they are until they have to face it themselves and her post shows how much damage they can cause!!!!

I'm a bit on the fence with hunting - I think foxes are a menace, and as an equestrian bod the hunts can do a good job on keeping numbers down. However, there are the very emotive pictures that were plastered all over the tv which makes it hard to support the hunt......

What really bugs me is that Tony Blair seems to think he can control how people live their lives down to then nth degree..... If it's not hunting, it's the food we eat, the news we watch, etc...... The hunting ban was brought in because the Government wanted it more than anyone else IMO!!!

Right, having brough the thread onto policitcs I'm off, lmao!!!! Seriously, I'm not into political debate, so am happy to leave it here but am happy to be disagreed with iykwim :) . At the mo this thread is an interesting and constructive debate, let's keep it that way......

I'm a bit on the fence with hunting - I think foxes are a menace, and as an equestrian bod the hunts can do a good job on keeping numbers down. However, there are the very emotive pictures that were plastered all over the tv which makes it hard to support the hunt......

What really bugs me is that Tony Blair seems to think he can control how people live their lives down to then nth degree..... If it's not hunting, it's the food we eat, the news we watch, etc...... The hunting ban was brought in because the Government wanted it more than anyone else IMO!!!

Right, having brough the thread onto policitcs I'm off, lmao!!!! Seriously, I'm not into political debate, so am happy to leave it here but am happy to be disagreed with iykwim :) . At the mo this thread is an interesting and constructive debate, let's keep it that way......

Here here! (I feel like im in the house of lords!) PMSL!!:green:

Latest posts

Back