Husband has the worst bitten nails. How am I able to break his habit..?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katechaos

Reaction score
We are having our actual wedding in a year, id love to have his nails semi normal. Currently he bites and picks with my tweezers. His nails are only a few cm on most, it is horrid. Does anyone have any ideas?

Solar oil. Also why not shellac in clear? I know it's shiny but I'm sure I've seen a nail art design where the gel or Shellac is made to look matt. They maybe buffed it? I was thinking we could do with a matt finish for blokes. X

My OH had terribly bitten nails. So I gave him a manicure pushed cuticles back etc and thy looked a little longer I then put CND sticky base on and it made him stop biting his nails and I mean all his life he had been biting them I gave him some cuticle oil and he used it all proud! They grew within a week and they are so strong! And now he pesters me to file his nails all the time! Grr. You could also try opi nail envy matte

My issue is he literally has no nail plate.. They have been bitten and picked so far back the only bit of nail plate is by his cuticle. Usually too sore to handle a mani. He rejects solar oil (i sneak and apply it and almond lotion while he sleeps) its "too greasy".:|

I have been successful in getting a male client to grow his nails (cabin crew) he had Shellac (1 base 2 top coat) followed by CND Matt top coat to disguise the shine. And of course SolarOil twice a day. Good luck.

Also my hubby has stopped biting his nails - I told him it was bad advertising for me!! lol

First off don't let him near your tweezers!

If solar oil is too greasy he can at least put it on before bed then it wont bother him. Also before he drives anywhere, by the time he gets where he is going the greasyness (not that there really is much!) will have gone.

Get a fly swat! Worked for me and has worked on others. when does he do it the most? To break any habit you need to recognise the cycle.

You need to get him on side though.

My hubby had the same problem, I tried gel nail polish and buffing but it was still too shiny for him and he picked it off! Now I just do cuticle work on his nails every few days and the improvement has stopped him for now (like the previous poster, half of his nail was cuticle) its about keeping on top of it and yes they will still bite and pick the skin around the nail but I keep cutting, buffing and trimming so there's very little to pick at, it takes time and effort but mine has improved :)

Rub habenero peppers all over his finger tips And tell him everytime he bites his nails, he's possibly eating feces. :lol:

Lol! That makes me laugh.

What's CND toughen up like? Can that be used on its own to strengthen the nail or does it have to be used as a base coat?

Latest posts

Back