Hyperpigmantion on ethnic skin

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blush&Glow beauty bar

Reaction score
Hi I am at a lost and was wondering if I can pick yall's brain's so lately i have been getting a few ethinc clients with hyperpigmantion and the dermalogica products i use for my facials aint evening out their skin so has anyone came across this and what products are worth trying.

Is it hyperpigmentation caused by injury (spots etc) or is it skin discolouration due to age (freckles or patches around the eyes, mouth etc)? Both need different approaches I find.

Or is it caused by hormonal changes ?
Adding onto PamieD.

If you haven't had much experience or knowledge I wouldn't recommend trying to trial error on clients as ethnic if you ref to black or Indian clients usually scar very easily and Indian clients are VERY sensitive for the most part so one needs to be very careful before just trying out stuff.
For clients who are very concerned or their skin is quite server I would ref them to a dermatologist who specializes in this.

And please for the love of all things do not be one of these therapists who peel for pigmentation because it can actually make it worse in the long run.
(Yes I am expecting to be gunned for this comment)

Basically there is no quick fix it took years to damage and it will take long time to repair,

Good luck

Yep, hyperpigmentation is notoriously difficult to treat on ethnic skin because of the risk of further pigmentation, things can go very wrong very quickly!! I've specifically set up my clinic for this reason. I do treatments and services for skin of colour. Products like obagi are great but I often use prescription products to tackle it (I'm a Dr by trade). Hope this helps. Otherwise you can send them my way (DermaNoiR).

As stated, facials aren't going to touch it and a darker skin needs to be treat by an experienced skin professional because it's easy to make the problem worse.
Xx

(I was going to say more or less the same thing nailpod.) Skin like this really needs TLC. But no reason to refuse facials, massage really helps keep the skin supple and soft after all. Also if they are doing things like plucking out chin hairs or picking at their skin then that will be the culprit. Avoidance is the best option. I sometimes have pigment marks that take years to lighten, it's just one of those things so I'm just very careful what I do to my skin.

Latest posts

Back