I don’t know whether to laugh or cry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobile-hands

Reaction score
Disastrous first day...sorry it’s long!
I start renting a room on the 18th Sept (self employed) and wanted to go into the salon the odd day beforehand to meet clients etc. Today was my first day and I went in at 4pm, as I was aware that the owner had booked a waxing job at 5pm, thought that 4pm would be enough time for me to get a feel of the room etc.
I arrived at 4pm to be told I had a lady waiting to be waxed! Arghhhh! I ran into the room started rushing around trying to get my bits sorted, luckily the owner had put the wax pot on. I asked the client to come through, she stripped off her lower half, only then did I check the wax on my arm, it was boiling, with shock I knocked the wax pot spilling boiling wax all over the trolley and my waxing spatulas and strips! Also as I tried to catch it I scolded my hand too, I was covered in boiling sticky wax so what’s the first thing I do after putting the pot back right! Grab a hand full of tissues... now I have sticky hands covered in shreds of tissue, I hurry to the sink and start washing with wax remover and all the time I’m trying to act as professional as I can! After 5-10 minutes cleaning up and cooling the wax (now submerged in cold water) I begin the wax, luckily this actually goes well and lady booked again in 4 weeks time.
Now on to my 5pm Client, who I didn't actually started until 5:30pm. Quickly cleaned the room, I’m all hot and flustered and quickly ask the client to come in for her full leg and bikini wax. Half way through the client advised that the owner was paying for her bikini as the last time she visited the therapist before me had done an appalling job so she’d had to complain! GREAT! I only qualified in waxing about 2 months ago and I am also in a room that’s badly organised and laid out (something I will be changing), eventually I finished her waxing too... but it took 1hour and 30 minutes! She did ask when she should come again, 4-6 weeks?! I’m hoping that’s a good sign but I’ll wait until she’s been home and inspected every inch... still nervous now in case I missed a hair!
Both clients were actually really lovely, I just felt like a bumbling fool... I knew I would have days like this, but not my first day!
Sorry for the ramble...
Also sorry if posted in the wrong place, couldn't make up my mind if it fell under business or skin (for waxing)!

I'm sorry I did have to laugh! I am sure that in time to come you will also look back and laugh - with your first client you did today as I am sure she will become a regular.
Relax, your clients seemed happy, that's all that counts. :)

Wow I think you did brilliantly under the circumstances and the clients left happy so you should be pleased. Bet you can't wait to get back there and organise things your way :).

Ah we'll done lovey! Hope your hand is ok!

Wow I think you did brilliantly under the circumstances and the clients left happy so you should be pleased. Bet you can't wait to get back there and organise things your way :).

I am at this very moment searching lots of beauty wholesalers, I forgot to mention that part of the reason the wax spilt everywhere was because when I jumped in shock I knocked the trolley and the front right caster fell off causing the wax to tip... new trolley is first on my list!
This is probably why the wax pot was on a fixed unit when I arrived, I quickly moved it thinking it would be better on the trolley!

Nailtechybee - Thanks, i sure hope so! :)

U did good
I've never slipped wax but i know it would an awful sight. Well done, u clean it up n got on with it

Ah we'll done lovey! Hope your hand is ok!

Thanks, my hand's ok just hope I never do it again.
The salon owner (hair stylist) just turned the pot on at the wall and didn't adjust the temp thinking that the last therapist that used it would have had it set at the correct temp and I didn't think to check until the moment just before I was about to apply it to my clients leg! Thank goodness I do check on my wrist first...

First thing I thought about was friends- Joey with the wax pot lol!
Well you can't get worse than this now, onwards and upwards!
Good luck :)

First thing I thought about was friends- Joey with the wax pot lol!
Well you can't get worse than this now, onwards and upwards!
Good luck :)

I hadn't seen it so just watched the clip on youtube... very funny!

Lol, I'm a bit obsessed with friends!

Oh no! This has made me laugh least you can giggle about it now bless you. At least you know you cant have a worse day lol. Well done you for keeping your cool! Xx

You handled this very well! I once made the mistake of telling the therapist about a bad job once, it must have made her really nervous because hers was worse! I will never do that again xD At least you can feel like you're prepared for anything & it will never happen again :) x

Believe me you'll be laughing in a few months I managed to throw a whole pot of wax all over the ceiling, walls my hair my face and my hand I stupidly went for the tissue too! You'll laugh at it later :)

i had a client a few months ago in for a brow wax. id only just turned my waxpot on as i was running late so i cranked it up high. i thought id cooled it enough but she phoned up later and said her brow was burnt so my boss gave her some nice wee goodies as an apology.
she was in my column a month later and i was so nervous that i ended up drizzling wax in her hair! i didn't let on though! oh god im sweating just thinking about that!
thankfully i left shortly after that, don't know what would have happened to the poor woman if id got her a third time!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Aww you'll soon get over it hun. Funnily enough I was in a similar situation yesterday. I had my first ever client booked in for a spray tan and when I tested to see if the spray gun was working, nothing was coming out except air. It was blocked! I haven't used my equipment for awhile and really should have checked it beforehand. I apologised to the client and offered her 2 free spray tans as a goodwill gesture. I ordered another spray gun as a backup because I do not want to be in that situation ever again. I was absolutely mortified and I wouldn't be surprised if the client never comes back.

We've all had days like this but at least you handled the situation well x

Oh my. Reading this made my heart rate go up. I felt like it was me it was happening to!! You really will laugh when you look back. The good news is that it all ended well. I can still visualise the tissues stuck to your hands:)

Latest posts

Back