I don't think it's possible

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Angel tanning has said, her area is saturated with tanners offering tans at £10 and she is loosing her clients to them as they are not wanting to pay higher. Whats a girl supposed to do?? I'd rather have 10 £10 tans in one day than none and end up loosing my business. I often put offers on for my tans, it doesnt mean i don't value my profession. xx

Have you worked out how much profit you can actually make from a £10 Tan though? By the time you've deducted the cost of the tan, all your consumables, wear and tear on your equipment, cost of washing towels if you use them, petrol and wear and tear on your car if you're mobile, or electricity etc if you are home based. Even if you're using one of the cheaper brands (which may or may not give the results your clients are looking for), by my calculations you'd be taking home less than minimum wage! Maybe for those with no other training than a half day spray tan Course for about £50 (apologies if I shouldn't be putting prices?) they might think that's a fair wage? But for those of us who have spent years training in the industry, be it beauty, hair, nails etc as well as Tanning, I think we are worth so much more! We should be supporting each other and not devaluing our Industry. If I was reduced to charging £10 for a spray tan because my area was saturated, I'd have to be asking myself if I should be taking spray tans off my treatment list.

Have you worked out how much profit you can actually make from a £10 Tan though? By the time you've deducted the cost of the tan, all your consumables, wear and tear on your equipment, cost of washing towels if you use them, petrol and wear and tear on your car if you're mobile, or electricity etc if you are home based. Even if you're using one of the cheaper brands (which may or may not give the results your clients are looking for), by my calculations you'd be taking home less than minimum wage! Maybe for those with no other training than a half day spray tan Course for about £50 (apologies if I shouldn't be putting prices?) they might think that's a fair wage? But for those of us who have spent years training in the industry, be it beauty, hair, nails etc as well as Tanning, I think we are worth so much more! We should be supporting each other and not devaluing our Industry. If I was reduced to charging £10 for a spray tan because my area was saturated, I'd have to be asking myself if I should be taking spray tans off my treatment list.
I totally agree, i didn't say to only charge £10 for all of her tans though. The area i live in the tans range from £10 - £15 so if i put my tans at £20 i'd loose a lot of business because most people just want to save money. Which is why i said at the beginning of this thread i think it would be very hard to make a full time wage just from tanning. And surely people would rather make just over minimum wage in the quiet months rather than nothing at all xx

I get both points and totally understand what’s been said here. I currently charge £15 for both solutions I use. The tanner who chargers £10 uses solely LA Tan and bulk buys for maximum profit (ive been snooping) I love LA Tan but it doesn’t agree with all skin types I’ve found. Like donnamich’s area, the average tan costs £10-£15 around here. People are very thrifty and there’s no loyalty unfortunately! I do question whether it’s all worth it with it being saturated, but I will give it til summer and see if anything improves. If I had a home tanning room then it wouldn’t be as much as a problem to do £10 tans xx

I get both points and totally understand what’s been said here. I currently charge £15 for both solutions I use. The tanner who chargers £10 uses solely LA Tan and bulk buys for maximum profit (ive been snooping) I love LA Tan but it doesn’t agree with all skin types I’ve found. Like donnamich’s area, the average tan costs £10-£15 around here. People are very thrifty and there’s no loyalty unfortunately! I do question whether it’s all worth it with it being saturated, but I will give it til summer and see if anything improves. If I had a home tanning room then it wouldn’t be as much as a problem to do £10 tans xx
Could you put a loyalty program in place?

I charge £20 for regular clients and £15 for family and close friends but as mentioned above, the majority of my spray tan clients are occasional tanners. I'm guessing the clients who like to tan weekly would understandably (from their point of view at least!) be looking to pay less. I do occasionally do offers and we do prom/bridal packages but still charge more than £10, but in all honesty I haven't noticed that my area is particularly saturated in tanners so maybe I'm just lucky here. In my honest opinion, certainly in the area I live in, I don't think there would be enough demand for spray tans to be able to make a full time living from it alone. It's a great little earner during the warmer months, and I have even encorporated a small designated spray tan room with shower into my new home based salon, so I definitely think it's worth doing alongside my other treatments :)

I love tanning all year round but it is only seasonal I have a full time job but do tanning on the side. I do find that there is so much competition in every country, between at home tanning, technicians and salons competing with each other and sunbeds. My area like I supposed every other is riddled with competition to a point where I asked myself is there a point anymore especially with people ringing looking for a discount I literally say I'm booked up cause I'm not dealing with that crap I have a main job so I don't need their business to make money if they want a cheap tan then of to the nearest dump.

It's shocking to me what has become of our industry.:(
Fast track - 'anyone can do in an afternoon'...... is, IMO, the root cause of the down grade from 'Professional' to 'service' industry.
Those of you with OTHER incomes - doing hair/beauty as a side line/hobby, .....Or those accepting 'cash only', with no intention of declaring your earnings to the Tax Man..........think for one minute about the rest of us, who have trained long and hard, who for them, this is a full time occupation.

The 'cost cutters' have devalued this as a profession, giving the customer a stick to beat us with....

Those offering a premium service, for a decent living wage, stay strong, ....the cream will always rise to the Top! :cool:

To be honest, in my area, and probably other areas, clients don’t care how long you’ve trained for, or how long you’ve been in the industry. If you give a good cheap tan, they will go to you! Us with “other” incomes DO declare it to the tax man. I do for sure! I think it’s unfair for you to label us cost cutters. We’re just offering the same professional service as you.

To be honest, in my area, and probably other areas, clients don’t care how long you’ve trained for, or how long you’ve been in the industry. If you give a good cheap tan, they will go to you! Us with “other” incomes DO declare it to the tax man. I do for sure! I think it’s unfair for you to label us cost cutters. We’re just offering the same professional service as you.

But you're not earning a decent living from it........
That is what then drives the price down.....and eventually we are all 'cost cutters':(

I think you are taking out your anger on us, @RED STAR I used to do hair full time qualified for 8 years but got sick of it. Then I decided to go tanning instead and it didn't work out for me full time. I am a trained professional and always was. I always paid tax, please don't paint us all with the same brush

This is my full time job, its the only job i have. I make a decent living and i declare my earnings to the tax man. I also went to college.

The written word can often be misinterpreted, but it looks like I interpreted RED STAR's post differently. I didnt think she was aiming her comment at anyone specific on this thread, I think she is frustrated about (and I have to agree) people who have no previous training at all in the hair/beauty/nail industry, who work in a completely different area but decide to go on a half or full days cheap training, be it Tanning, lash Lifting, individual lash extensions, gel polish etc, as so many if them state you need no previous experience - and gain an "accredited" certificate at the end of it and then think they are ready to go out and perform these treatments on the general public. They often buy cheap, non-professional equipment/brands and charge ridiculously low prices because to them it's just a bit of extra pocket money. It's not their main income. We as professionals mustn't compare the service we offer to the one offered by these "techs" or try to compete with their low prices because it has a devastating effect on the whole industry! Unfortunately I am aware there are clients out there who really don't care as long as they're getting their tan or whatever, which is a shame because these "techs" probably aren't insured, may not do consultation cards or patch tests (as discussed in a previous thread) or give pre and after care advice. I say all this because I personally know of people like this and it really annoys me!

I think another problem we have with competing in this way is that we don't attract the "right" clients. If they are just out for a bargain, they are unlikely to be loyal, or even reliable enough to turn up for their treatment!

The written word can often be misinterpreted, but it looks like I interpreted RED STAR's post differently. I didnt think she was aiming her comment at anyone specific on this thread, I think she is frustrated about (and I have to agree) people who have no previous training at all in the hair/beauty/nail industry, who work in a completely different area but decide to go on a half or full days cheap training, be it Tanning, lash Lifting, individual lash extensions, gel polish etc, as so many if them state you need no previous experience - and gain an "accredited" certificate at the end of it and then think they are ready to go out and perform these treatments on the general public. They often buy cheap, non-professional equipment/brands and charge ridiculously low prices because to them it's just a bit of extra pocket money. It's not their main income. We as professionals mustn't compare the service we offer to the one offered by these "techs" or try to compete with their low prices because it has a devastating effect on the whole industry! Unfortunately I am aware there are clients out there who really don't care as long as they're getting their tan or whatever, which is a shame because these "techs" probably aren't insured, may not do consultation cards or patch tests (as discussed in a previous thread) or give pre and after care advice. I say all this because I personally know of people like this and it really annoys me!

I think another problem we have with competing in this way is that we don't attract the "right" clients. If they are just out for a bargain, they are unlikely to be loyal, or even reliable enough to turn up for their treatment!

Thank you for interpreting my 'rant'....:)

I have seen the down grade of this industry...MY profession...over the last few years.
I don't 'Just happen to do hair'....I am a Hairdresser..and to me, there is a massive difference.
I've up skilled along the way....because I LOVE this industry.
To see folk doing 'cut price' rubbishes' us all.

Lash lifting for £20.00...are you crazy.o_O
This service takes an hour.......
I could go on and on...
Ultimately, 'Joe public loves a bargain....even if their nails are forever paper thin....their hair looks sh*t....and the golden brown tan they asked for, is Tango orange.....:p
Those 'operators' who sell themselves cheap, will ultimately pay the price.
A business without profit, is no more than a hobby.:oops:

I think you’re venting in the wrong place and at the wrong people.
Us “cost cutters” aren’t cheapening the industry.

Why don’t you focus your frustration at the big brands, Salon Services etc etc that are offering these 1 day and half day courses?

Without them, there would be no cost cutters trying to earn themselves some honest money and “cheapening” your industry!! I’ve nothing else to say on this matter. We all have different views and I respect that [emoji849]

Lol your so right, Salon Services always offer 1 or 2 day courses with no experience needed. Sell the quality products to these students and you don't need more than a tanning cert to open an account with them. There are multiple wholesale in my country offering nail tanning and waxing courses for 1 or 2 days no experience needed. @RED STAR

They find it competition. I've tried already.
Why would it be competition if they are not offering it? You need to sell it to them as extra income for not doing a thing.

I think you’re venting in the wrong place and at the wrong people.
Us “cost cutters” aren’t cheapening the industry.

Why don’t you focus your frustration at the big brands, Salon Services etc etc that are offering these 1 day and half day courses?

Without them, there would be no cost cutters trying to earn themselves some honest money and “cheapening” your industry!! I’ve nothing else to say on this matter. We all have different views and I respect that [emoji849]

How long was your tanning course Angel? Is there one that you could recommend? I did learn it as part of my NVQ but that was a couple of years ago

I learnt it as part of my NVQ too ch-ela. Only started mobile last year as my hours had been cut in my “day job”[emoji4]. I’ve heard Nouvatan and La Tan do good training if you’re wanting to refresh xx

I think you need to offer something else as well. Could you train in eyelash extensions? I did an online course. It was really good. They send you all the equipment and you do the course online. It helps to offer a couple of services.

Another idea is to use a tanning brand that has consumables that you can sell. There is an Australian organic tanning brand that also has body scrubs and lotions that are specially developed to work with the tan, so are ideal to sell to tanning clients. I think you can earn about £10 per item.

Latest posts

Back