I hate exfoliator-help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ugg73

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I need to panic but I do need some advice/reassurance!

I'm only training at the moment but I'm doing facial's on clients. I really love doing them - it makes me feel calm too! HOWEVER, everything is going great until I get to the exfoliator. My clients have tended to be more mature so I've used a gentle one (today I used a slightly less gentle one). I'm really careful when I remove it - I take great care, using sponges and mitts and warm/hot water. I then check the skin with my hands paying particular care to the neck and shoulders. WHY OH WHY OH WHY do I still feel it when I massage! :irked:

It's really annoying but it must be awful for the client if I can feel it. It's never lots but even a little bit feels too much when you are massaging. I've got 3 other facials tonight and I'm starting to fixated. :eek:

I'm only training at the moment but I'm doing facial's on clients. I really love doing them - it makes me feel calm too! HOWEVER, everything is going great until I get to the exfoliator. My clients have tended to be more mature so I've used a gentle one (today I used a slightly less gentle one). I'm really careful when I remove it - I take great care, using sponges and mitts and warm/hot water. I then check the skin with my hands paying particular care to the neck and shoulders. WHY OH WHY OH WHY do I still feel it when I massage! :irked:

It's really annoying but it must be awful for the client if I can feel it. It's never lots but even a little bit feels too much when you are massaging. I've got 3 other facials tonight and I'm starting to fixated. :eek:

This is quite normal Ugg, have you seen how small the gritty bits are, they are pin heads under a microscope. As you know the mitts collect the grit and you rinse them in your bowl and go back over the face etc...the grits have nowhere to go apart from in the bottom of the bowl, still attached to the mitts or back on the client. It may be prudent if you had a separate clean bowl of warm water and another pair of mitts to do the final go over...if you get my meaning. Failing that I don't think the client would feel it to be honest as they are so small and so far between. I have never felt it as a client. HTH.

Yeah I agree with virtues. No mater what you do there's always going to be tiny wee bits!!

How about making up your own exfoliator.. With a wee drop brown sugar and a touch of essential oil and some cleanser/moisturiser to mix it Into a paste.. Works out cheaper AND the hot water will dissolve the sugar even further.. If you don't fancy making your own look out for salt based or sugar based exfoliators that again when taken off with hot mitts will dissolve most of the salt/sugar and lift off the dead skin cells.. :) xx

Phew! Thanks ladies. I'm asking Santa for a towel warmer so hopefully I will have enough clean mitts/towel to use. Good idea about having a separate bowl - I will try that tonight.

I will defo have a go at making the exfoliator, anything that helps.

Again, thanks so much for your speedy and helpful advice xx Love this forum :green:

They are a pain!
I find that using a pair of dry mitts works the best. Make sure you clear the hairline as they can lurk there.
You could also use an enzymatic exfoliator, which would also be a good choice for more mature clients.

They are a pain!
I find that using a pair of dry mitts works the best. Make sure you clear the hairline as they can lurk there.
You could also use an enzymatic exfoliator, which would also be a good choice for more mature clients.

Can you recommend a good one? How does this differs - still a lot to learn!

Hi ugg, towel warmers are good but I personally just have a Pyrex dish in my salon.. I run the hot mitts under hot water and then roll them up side by side and place them in the dish and in the microwave for 45 seconds.... I find this method quicker and much cheaper too.. Just a suggestion for u

Hi ugg, towel warmers are good but I personally just have a Pyrex dish in my salon.. I run the hot mitts under hot water and then roll them up side by side and place them in the dish and in the microwave for 45 seconds.... I find this method quicker and much cheaper too.. Just a suggestion for u

That's a good idea but I'm mobile and I'm not sure the clients would want me using their microwaves - what do you think?

I got this too when using a grain exfoliant. i switched to an AHA masque (part of my line) and i now LOVE facials!!! perhaps you could switch to a cream exfoliant without grain??

Either that of switch to an enzyme exfoliator that breaks down the dead skin without having any grain in it.. And oh sorry didn't realise you were mobile.. It just saves time that's all and not having to worry about switching lots of different things on etc :)

Thanks guys - Could you recommend an non-grain or enzyme. As I'm only training and charging a small amount, I'm only using Skintruth. I hope to look for something better once I qualify (with additional training). Could I buy one of these and apply without any further training - would I simply put it on in the same way?

Just seen a Jean Martin grain-free melting scrub in Salon Services. I have a trade card so would be able to buy one and see how it goes.

I agree that exfoliator is difficult to move and as others have said, doing a removal procedure twice and/or a dissolvable exfoliator like something sugar based is a good idea.

I don't think you need a towel heater for Christmas...the cost of one of them could go a fair way towards something more versatile like product training or a few shellac colours :) I say this because I find that a bowl of very hot water on the trolley does the trick for me. Even with the water being somewhat cooler towards the end of a facial I think this helps close the pores up a bit anyway before the toner and moisturiser is applied :)

Have you looked at the Kiwi Skin Perfect from Silhouette's range of skincare? (I know it's a bit biased recommending this product as I do represent Silhouette) however, it's effective but incredibly gentle at the same time. It also smells absolutely gorgeous.

It's a dual action foaming cleanser and exfoliator with a gel type texture containing soothing Kiwi extract. I'm not sure if i'm allowed to post any links up but feel free to pop me a PM across if you need any more information.

There are several companies selling enzyme exfoliators. Some are Eve Taylor, Elemis and, I think, Swiss Dermyl. For the latter, if you get in touch with a fab Geek on here, Lynne Baker, you will get great advice, as she is the UK distributor for it, and is very helpful.

Btw, I should have said I use wet sponges to remove the bulk of mechanical exfoliators, but finish off with dry mitts, and gently flick away what's left. If you have a radiator near you could warm them on that.

A large blusher brush was my tutors advice to remove last few grains once hot towels have got 99% not used it yet though

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I swear by Eve Taylor enzyme exfoliant - I also use it for luxury manicures.

Most good skin care ranges will have a variety of exfoliating products to meet the needs of different clients. Decleor for example (which I use in my salon) have a clay gommage, two scrub based exfoliators and an gentle AHA exfoliator (6% AHA) for home use, as well as a professional only enzyme exfoliator and a stronger professional only AHA exfoliator (16% AHA).

With regards to hot towels when mobile, hot water, wring them out and roll them, microwave for a minute or so then pop them in an insulated lunch bag. This way you only have to use the micro at the start (when you're filling your bowls) in the clients kitchen and they'll stay hot until you need them!

I'm still training (level 2) so my clients are really my case studies. I want to practise so that I can get some solid foundations for future studies. A number of companies will not sell to students or mobile therapist so it limits my options.

I could buy some on ebay but it makes it expensive if I'm doing a large number of practise facials. Any cost effective advice? Or any companies who would be prepared to sell (small amounts) to a student.

Latest posts

Back