I have done something really stupid, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xnailsbylisax

Reaction score
Ok so i have no idea why i have done this as i know it causes a reaction so please spare me the lectures haha :) genuine mistake.

I have just been cleaning the toilet & i used Parazone toilet cleaner. I then went to pick up the empty bottle of toilet bleach (supermarket own brand) & realised there was abit left. I stupidly put it down the toilet as didn't want to waste.

My GOD the smell! It nearly made me sick. I flushed straight away but the smell is so strong it's unbearable. I have opened all windows & closed the bathroom door but i'm panicking now :( i have brought ny son round to my parents next door so i am hoping the smell goes.

Is there anything else i can do? Will i have caused damage by breathing it in for a few minutes? Drana queen alert haha sorry :)

It should cause much harm just keep windows open . I did this I put harpic down the toilet then obviously there was bleach on the toilet brush it started smoking I flushed it straight away don't panic Xx

I've done this before by accident, I coughed for about 15-20 mins and couldn't stop! Felt a bit faint but it did go after about half an hour, I opened the window and it was fine after that :)

My chest and throat feel a little weird & got a slight headache but thats my own fault. I should've got out of the room instead of messing about. I scrubbed at it first then realised the smell, like a burning gas kind of smell, so flushed it. Then sat on the landin outside for a few mins then decided to go back in & open the window. If i have opened the bathroom window & closed the door will it be ok? I have closed my sons bedroom door & opened my living room windows & will ooen the back door when i go back home. Its just the smell is really really overpowering lol xx

We all make mistakes, I haven't done this particular thing but done plenty of others lol

You handled it really well x

(I'd open your sons bedroom window as well then if smell does get under the door it can go out the window)

This is the sort of thing you could give your local fire station a call about if you want to be sure, they will be able to advise x

We all make mistakes, I haven't done this particular thing but done plenty of others lol

(I'd open your sons bedroom window as well then if smell does get under the door it can go out the window)

This is the sort of thing you could give your local fire station a call about if you want to be sure, they will be able to advise x

I am surprised i did it as my Mam is a cleaner so she has made me well aware of what happens lol x

His bedroom window wont open :( it never has done x

I might be wrong but isn't the gas chlorine ? Or something like that ?

The reaction of the two different cleaners has made chlorine gas, something they used to use in the war for killing the opposition!
The best thing you can do to flush the toilet and open up all windows and doors you can and allow it to ventilate! It shouldn't affect your son as he didn't directly breathe in the vapour that was created at the time and with the windows and doors open, it will aerate. The person you need to focus on is yourself, if you do feel funny or you feel chesty/coughing, it may be best just to phone 111 and check it over with them to ensure that you're safe.
I remember reading a story in the paper, somebody was cleaning toilets at the pub and did the same thing and nearly passed out! They said he was lucky to get out the toilet, make sure to be really careful and never use anything else down the toilet but toilet cleaner. Ensure that it's very thoroughly cleaned and flushed before you attempt to use anything else.
You should be fine though Hun, it sounds that you reacted pretty quickly! Lesson learned 😷 xx

I never heard about this before, I'm surprised I've never done it myself as I wouldn't gave known it reacted together! That's my "you learn something new everyday" for today!

Amanda xx

The reaction of the two different cleaners has made chlorine gas, something they used to use in the war for killing the opposition!
The best thing you can do to flush the toilet and open up all windows and doors you can and allow it to ventilate! It shouldn't affect your son as he didn't directly breathe in the vapour that was created at the time and with the windows and doors open, it will aerate. The person you need to focus on is yourself, if you do feel funny or you feel chesty/coughing, it may be best just to phone 111 and check it over with them to ensure that you're safe.
I remember reading a story in the paper, somebody was cleaning toilets at the pub and did the same thing and nearly passed out! They said he was lucky to get out the toilet, make sure to be really careful and never use anything else down the toilet but toilet cleaner. Ensure that it's very thoroughly cleaned and flushed before you attempt to use anything else.
You should be fine though Hun, it sounds that you reacted pretty quickly! Lesson learned 😷 xx

I have just gone for a power walk round lake to get some fresh air :) i feel much better now juat hoping its all aired out. Glad i'm not the only one who has done it.

That is pretty scary about it creating a gas. Is that what i coukd smell then? I also read about the man in the pub :(

I have just gone for a power walk round lake to get some fresh air :) i feel much better now juat hoping its all aired out. Glad i'm not the only one who has done it.

That is pretty scary about it creating a gas. Is that what i coukd smell then? I also read about the man in the pub :(

Glad your feeling ok :) I panicked when It happened to me X

Never knew this would happen , learn something new every day x

Least i came in handy for some of you ;) x

Yes that's what the smell is. Most cleaners have hydrochloric acid in them so when bleach mixes with it, it makes chlorine gas. It will be fine and will have aired out and as long as you have flushed, it will be fine.

I did it in my youth, wanted a squeaky clean loo so used two different cleaners! Eyes started burning so flushed and walked out. Mum told me later what I had done. Oops!!! lol xx

Me too, I've never knew this could happen! I'm surprised I've never done it before. Thanks for the heads up xx

You're welcome .. Just glad i didn't stay around to smell it any longer lol x

hope all ok now..x

All fine now. House is freezing but definitely aired out :) x

Latest posts

Back