I know what tips i'm going to be getting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOU LOU

Reaction score
Hi all,

One thing which I have been confused about is which tips to use. When I say confused, I mean un-decided, because quite frankly, I was doing ok at college and at home practicing on people with Star Nails Ultra Forms and found the blending quite easy (until I wrecked two of my own fingers :o and have now given myself Onycholysis :grr: ) and when my tutor started to explain that we would need to cut Wells out on for certain nail types. To say I find the Well cutting difficult is an under-statement. I never seem to get a deep smile :()

Today I have registered and got an account with Sweet Squared and have been looking at using CND Tips. What a fantastic company they are. I am so impressed with their website and even more so with their staff. I was speaking to a girl called Natalie and she was so helpful and lovely. With customer service like that, they deserve the custom. Highly recommend Sweet Squared to all you newbies.

Anyway I've just done some searches on here (Geeg faints with shock :suprised: lol ~ I think I deserve a gold star for being a good girl today Geeg :biggrin:). Anyway, I have just been going through some threads and after reading all your wonderful advice, I have decided that I am going to start using CND Performance and Velocity tips and maybe get a few Eclipse tips in. I want to start off as I mean to go on.

I just wanted to know, to those of you who use these tips, which do you use the most of?

The last couple of weeks, my confidence had nose dived due to struggling with the Well cutting on the Star Nails, so I was wondering if changing to a better quality tip would help me to build my confidence.

Does anyone have any particular advice they could offer me in relation to using these particular tips please.

Thanks

Last edited:
If I could only choose one, I'd choose the CND Performance tips. They are my FAVE! :)

If I could only choose one, I'd choose the CND Performance tips. They are my FAVE! :)

Have you ever used any other brands of tips and if so, can you really tell the difference between them?

I too use performance tips majority of the time. Takes me less than 30 secs to blend..... and you dont even have to blend them if you dont want too. xxx

The difference between CND tips and any other brand is like.....

A lada car & a Rolls Royce (as in CND being the RR) (No disrepect to Lada Car owners btw, just attempting a comparison here)

CND tips a thin, flexible & take hardly any blending, if a all. Most other brands are hard, thick & take years to blend, maybe the reason you've damaged your own nails is because of the quality of your tips. I have, somewhere in a drawer, some Star Nails tips, they are thicker than CND.

I'd go with Performance & Velocity if I used tips much these days.

I sculpt everything now, which saves me having to buy lots of different types of tips.

The difference between CND tips and any other brand is like.....

A lada car & a Rolls Royce (as in CND being the RR) (No disrepect to Lada Car owners btw, just attempting a comparison here)

CND tips a thin, flexible & take hardly any blending, if a all. Most other brands are hard, thick & take years to blend, maybe the reason you've damaged your own nails is because of the quality of your tips. I have, somewhere in a drawer, some Star Nails tips, they are thicker than CND.

I'd go with Performance & Velocity if I used tips much these days.

I sculpt everything now, which saves me having to buy lots of different types of tips.

Thank you so much, I really do appreciate your feedback. When I was blending the two tips on my own nails. I didn't feel a thing until the next day! :cry:

Have you ever used any other brands of tips and if so, can you really tell the difference between them?

I do have another brand but am not wild about them. Yes, you can tell the difference!

I love the CND Performance tips as they are very thin (but NOT in a cheap way), flexible and they practically take no time to apply. I'm confident you will love them, too! :)

I have used Star nails, edge among others and yes you can tell the differance. CND are by far the better product as one would expect. I am please at last you have finally decided on tips! :) As for cutting the wells this is something I never do, at CND we were taught to use our files and to me this is much easier.

I use both them but the majority of the time i now use performance. I never use tips with full wells as touch wood i've not found a need for them yet.
I was also never taught to cut wells, when using a velocity i file against the end of it at an angle to reduce the well.
I was taught by CND so never began with any other tips, though i once looked at tips from the wholesalers.... i really wouldn't have known where to begin, it was so thick i think it'd take me forever to get through it trying to blend, you'll definitely find life easier with your new ones.

I use both them but the majority of the time i now use performance. I never use tips with full wells as touch wood i've not found a need for them yet.
I was also never taught to cut wells, when using a velocity i file against the end of it at an angle to reduce the well.
I was taught by CND so never began with any other tips, though i once looked at tips from the wholesalers.... i really wouldn't have known where to begin, it was so thick i think it'd take me forever to get through it trying to blend, you'll definitely find life easier with your new ones.

Which one's would you use on a nail biter with no free edge?

At college we have been taught to put a FULL WELL on a nail biter, which I believe would be the Formation tips??? Would you use Performance on a nail biter?

So what kind of client would you use a Velocity on?

I assume the Performance tips are for clients with a free edge?

I love CND tips and if you have all 4 types you can tip nearly every nail type. Performance and velocity suit most nails with a C curve, formation are for those with flat nails (I always remove the well) and eclipse are good for those with a square C curve (again I remove most of the well most of the time). If you are tipping a nail biter, determine the C curve and pick your tip accordingly. Then remove the majority of the well as you need maaximum nail plate exposed. I've used performance tips on a biter once, just trimmed the ears off. Hth.

Last edited:
Which one's would you use on a nail biter with no free edge?

At college we have been taught to put a FULL WELL on a nail biter, which I believe would be the Formation tips??? Would you use Performance on a nail biter?

So what kind of client would you use a Velocity on?

I assume the Performance tips are for clients with a free edge?

I've only had to deal with a couple of nail biters so far (im a newbie still!) But i used Velocity. I stick the tips so there is minimal tip in contact with the nail plate as i was taught that it is the acrylic is the strength, the more tip there is then the less strength there is in the enhancement.
This is only how i've done it but i think at some point (possibly at college!?) i was told to use full wells on a nail biter too, but i dont as i cant imagine them lasting 5 minutes.
Im sure an experienced geek will come along and correct me if im doing it wrong- in which case we will both learn from this thread!

I love CND tips and if you have all 4 types you can tip nearly every nail type. Performance and velocity suit most nails with a C curve, formation are for those with flat nails (I always remove the well) and eclipse are good for those with a square C curve (again I remove most of the well most of the time). If you are tipping a nail biter, determine the C curve and pick your tip accordingly. Then remove the majority of the well as you need maaximum nail plate exposed. I've used performance tips on a biter once, just trimmed the ears off. Hth.

What i'm looking for (not sure if this is possible), but i'm hoping to use a tip on the majority of nail types WITHOUT having to cut a Well out. I struggle so much to do that. I'm currently doing the Silk system at college.

I've only had to deal with a couple of nail biters so far (im a newbie still!) But i used Velocity. I stick the tips so there is minimal tip in contact with the nail plate as i was taught that it is the acrylic is the strength, the more tip there is then the less strength there is in the enhancement.
This is only how i've done it but i think at some point (possibly at college!?) i was told to use full wells on a nail biter too, but i dont as i cant imagine them lasting 5 minutes.
Im sure an experienced geek will come along and correct me if im doing it wrong- in which case we will both learn from this thread!

This is where I get confused the most with who you use a full Well on and who you don't. My tutor has told us to always use a Full Well on a nail biter, but she has also said that the strength is in the acrylic too. I might try using a Velocity on a nail biter and see how I get on.

Thanks hun.

LouLou, if you don't want to cut wells then you can't go wrong with performannce or velocity. However you won't be able to tip every type of nail with just these. (Although you will be able to tip the vast majority.) -If you need to remove any part of the well (I've sometimes had to trim even a velocity well for a biter) then I agree that it's far easier to file a well out than cut it.

Last edited:
Perfomance all the way... I file the ears away slightly and remove shine swipe contact area slightly and away I go, if using tips as I predominantly sculpt on a form though. I stock perfomance eclipse velocity and formation, just incase xxxx S2 rocks and so does cnd as a whole,, they are always happy to help.

Perfomance all the way... I file the ears away slightly and remove shine swipe contact area slightly and away I go, if using tips as I predominantly sculpt on a form though. I stock perfomance eclipse velocity and formation, just incase xxxx S2 rocks and so does cnd as a whole,, they are always happy to help.

Hey Katie,

Thank you for your advice. Just one more question, which tips would you buy the white tips in too? I'm only just setting out and atm money is a bit limited, well very limited, lol, but I want to do everything properly and start off as I mean to go on, and so I want to make sure that I spend my money on the items which will be in most demand.

xx

I have Perfomance natural and White. And I have velocity clear. Those I have in 360 count box.

And I have small boxes of 100 count of ecllipse and formation just in case.

Hope this helps. Hugs

LouLou, if you don't want to cut wells then you can't go wrong with performannce or velocity. However you won't be able to tip every type of nail with just these. (Although you will be able to tip the vast majority.) -If you need to remove any part of the well (I've sometimes had to trim even a velocity well for a biter) then I agree that it's far easier to file a well out than cut it.

My tutor says my Wells aren't as bad as I say they are but to me they are, they aren't "Perfectly Smiley". I did try filing the Well but the one side became "lob-sided" Lol.

So what is the difference between a Performance and a Velocity and who would you use these on. I assume you would use a Performance on someone with a little free edge?

My tutor says my Wells aren't as bad as I say they are but to me they are, they aren't "Perfectly Smiley". I did try filing the Well but the one side became "lob-sided" Lol.

So what is the difference between a Performance and a Velocity and who would you use these on. I assume you would use a Performance on someone with a little free edge?

Yes you are right, use Velocity when there is no free edge. I would buy performance tips in white, that is just my preference.
Also, I don't see how it matters if you file a well wonky, as once you've applied the tip and blended, you shouldn't be able to see any of the contact area? (So in terms of aesthetics, doesn't really matter if you use full or half well, but it does make a huge difference to the strength. I have never used a full well on anybody, I always tailor the well to suit my client's nail bed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Latest posts

Back