I need some advice ASAP!!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leggie

Reaction score
Help geeks,
I've a client in the morning who has used a box dye and hates it, she wants to be back blonde, she has tried another salon who did hilights which only lifted the root area and left the rest dark brown.
she's booked in for hilights, I was thinkin of bringing the cap out so i visually see the hair lift and maybe use a cleansing shampoo afterwards to give it that extra boost before poppin a toner on it, i've done a strand test with bleach 12% it lifted well but very warm hence the toner.
please help i just want it to look good x x x x

I do not allow the use of bleach with 12% in my salons. The hair will immediately begin to degrade on contact with it. I would use meche and bleach with 10 vol on the root area blending to bleach with 30 vol on the darker part. Have you checked what is underneath the box colour? if there is previously bleached hair you should only proceed with extreme caution.
30 vol will bring hair up as light as 40 vol, it will just be slower, which is better for the condition of the hair.

yeh, ditto. I am a bit of a bleach snob...you won't need to use 12%. Take your time with it and see how it lifts...imagine putting something in the oven...if the instructions say cook at 200C, if you put it in at 400C it will just burn the stuff you are cooking. Using a weaker bleach will allow for a more even lift also. Good luck but you should get on fine with it :) xxx

Thanks, I was going to use a combination of 20 and 30vol as hair is uneven. would you use the cap, i usually use foils she has a bob and thought it would be better to monitor and reapply bleach if needed.

i usually only use the cap on short styles, just through personal choice. it would prob be a good idea, but i usually just foil it and once i've finished my last foil i start checking the first ones and rinsing them off. :) xx

NOOOO!!!! You have almost no control with a cap. Meche is by far the best option, at a push use foil but make them long enough that the bleach 30 is not folded onto the bleach 10.
Please throw your cap away or burn it. Professional colouriists don't use highlighting caps.

see, shows how much i use my cap...only use it on hair too short for foil! x

hair too short for foil is a million miles away from colour correction of a too dark box colour on a bob!
I'd still burn it and shoeshine instead!!!
Can weave and meche hair an inch long, so don't even possess a cap.

I must admit we don't know what a cap is in our salon ;)

When I have lifted out any dark colour I only use 6%. If you lift it slowly but for longer you won't get a warm throwback and you won't knacker the hair. :)

Id foil lift and tone it . Sound like the hair may be over processed so i wouldnt promise too much , you just want to even it out really , id say hair a reasonable colour that isnt quite the colour that you wanted is better than no hair at all! ( mind you its amazing how straightners and serum can make breakage seem like its supposed to be there - but never on my clients)

persianista, couldnt agree with u more, foil n tone the only way:green: u will be fine hun xx

i definately agree, lifting it slowly and toning is the way forward :) it worked for me when i was lifting my own hair from a blue black to a platinum blonde!

Help geeks,
I've a client in the morning who has used a box dye and hates it, she wants to be back blonde, she has tried another salon who did hilights which only lifted the root area and left the rest dark brown.
she's booked in for hilights, I was thinkin of bringing the cap out so i visually see the hair lift and maybe use a cleansing shampoo afterwards to give it that extra boost before poppin a toner on it, i've done a strand test with bleach 12% it lifted well but very warm hence the toner.
please help i just want it to look good x x x x

Hi, whatever method you decide to use :lol: lol , dont forget you will need to put the bleach mix on the darker parts first :) minky

what an interesting thread, I'm a beauty therapist so I have no idea what you are all talking about re % and volumes! However I think it's brilliant because it shows what a great knowledge you have and more to the point I think it should be made law (if only that were possible) that people couldn't colour/perm their own hair. My own sister years ago put on a lightener - she had mid to dark brown hair. The colour was supposed to be golden blond, she applied the colour and it looked good for about a week after which it turned a lovely shade of karki. It ended up costing her loads of money to have it corrected at the hairdressers as well as having to have most of it cut as it was in terrible condition. Great thread!

Latest posts

Back