I need your opinions of this article...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scratchmyback

Reaction score
I just got my scuba open water certification this past weekend :) and one of the things I was most aware of was the length of my nails throughout my course. I wear L&P sculpts and wanted to be sure they were not going to get in the way of my gear underwater and pose any significant safety issues.

Anyway I have been doing tons of research on the internet about diving because I am so new to the sport and came upon this website directed to women divers. Lo and behold there is an article posted about *fake nails* <shudder>.

I gave it a read, and even though there is some misinformation in it, it is pro-nail enhancements, and surprisingly pro-EMA:) :) I am planning to write to the owner of the website and gently correct all the errors. Please give it a read and tell me what YOU think is glaringly obvious. Again, please keep in mind the author is supporting the wearing of enhancements so let's be constructive.

http://www.girldiver.com/beauty.htm

Laura x

LOL, do you think she is messing about? I nearly cried out 'jewels not tools!!!'

It is shocking that one short article could contain so much misinformation, especially when it implies cheaper salons all use MMA. Not all NSS salons/techs are cheaper and not all cheaper salons/techs are NSS.

Well, yes ........ what can I say.

She has obviously done some research on EMA and MMA which is GOOD, but hasn't really bothered to go any further as to the well being of natural nails and the various methods of prep that DO NOT damage your nails.

I also found it interesting that even though she promotes EMA, she still states that "Acrylic" is the most damaging. Surely if she re-read her own article, it would occur to her that perhaps the bad prep (such as incorrect use of a drill or over zealous filing with a hand file) causes all the damage and NOT THE PRODUCT (besides MMA).

Your nail tech may tell you that a good set will not damage your nail bed, but ladies, you cannot strip the oil and dry out the nail bed, then seal that surface with a chemical and expect that it will not have ANY residual effects.

Well, that is why good aftercare advice needs to be given and is essential that good quality cuticle oil is used. Not only does it help the nail enhancement, but it also helps the natural nail. It is also essential that the nail tech doesn't initially damage the nail with bad prep !!

I also found it astounding that she would actively promote using nail enhancements as tools !!

I think it's a very good idea writing to her in a polite way and explaining that she half way on the right track, but here are the facts.

Point her into the direction of The Nail Geek and see if she can learn something new. Why don't you attach this link for her to read .....

River

Actually River I'm thinking of doing just that, sending her this link instead of re-writing it, but I'm waiting for more responses.

Thanks for the replies so far. I am in total agreement with everything posted.

Laura

Latest posts

Back