I think my dog will pass away soon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faefae

Reaction score
:sad: She's an old little spaniel (13) and I've had her since she was 12 weeks. She's on heart meds and has arthiritis, so bless her, she cant walk far; but she still has a good apetite and is always after our food!

I just dont know how I will deal with or what I will do with her when she's passed; I dont have a garden to bury her in. I know I probably shouldnt think about it too much, but feel like I need to be prepared.

It makes me so sad thinking about it, but it's the cycle of life and I have to deal with it; I just hope she goes comfortabley and I wouldnt have to make the decision for her.

Anyone going through this or have experienced it? I'm sorry to bring up such a depressing subject! But really need some support I guess x

It's amazing how close we get to our pets - its completely understandable.

Could you talk to your vet and see what information you could get? Would you consider cremation? You could either keep or scatter the ashes?

I hope this helps?

It's really hard. I can't say I'm going through it, but at the same time I am. I have a jackrussel crossed with a whippet (strange height and build). We had him from a baby, and he's now 15! He's not on any medication and is healthy and active, still runs like he always has, just a little slower. In the 15 years he has cost us just £6! Yes only that in medicines, that was for an infected eye after a tug of war toy hit him in the eye when he threw it in the air (he often played by himself in the darden throwing toys in the air and catching them). He fell off a cliff at around age 6, bounced off a ledge and fell the rest of the way, around three storeys, straight for an X-ray and check up... Not a single problem and he was only moaning that I wouldn't let him walk to the vet haha.

He's my best friend, and I don't want to lose him, but agree its now getting more often I try and think what I will do. I would like to keep his ashes and have them made into a diamond
Xoxo

My heart goes out to you. My Boxer Lucy sadly passed 3 weeks ago. We knew it had been coming for some time but it didn't really make it any easier.

My girls (8 & 10) & I had watched Marley & Me several times so we used the ending to talk about what we'd do when it was Lucy's time.

As it was I went to the vets on the Monday & the vet suspected either renal failure or tumours as Boxers are prone to them. Either way, there wasn't any alternative so we arranged for the vet to come here the following day.

The vets were here & gone within 15 mins & Lucy is now in the garden in a lovely sunny spot. My girls read out little prayers as we did a little funeral for her.

I used to think too about how it would be nice not to have to make the awful decision but there wasn't any doubt in my mind I'd made the right decision, as painful as it.

As long as your pooch can get about to go the toilet and is eating & drinking it has 'quality of life' so long may it continue :)

When the time comes, you can go for cremation or maybe there's a pet cemetery near you?

Try not to be too sad now, although I do know that's easier said than done.
There's plenty of us on here that love our furbabies so there will always be someone to talk to xx

aw faefae, my heart goes out to you, my dog is my world and i would feel exactly the same. hugs from here and you're in my thoughts xxx

Thats very sad to hear and its a horrible situation to have to cope with but you realise that you do everything you can for them and in the end sometimes it is kinder to make the decision and let them go.. I lost Ascot my westie a year ago and she was also 13 and was such a lovely dog.. She had chronic lung disease and I did everything I could but in the end the quality of her life was so bad I knew I had to let her go. I took a week off work and allowed myself the time to deal with the loss. I was very sad for months after as she was like my child and the place felt so empty and so quiet. My friends convinced me to get another dog and I have done same breed but a completely different character, I called her Tosca which was an anagram of Ascot.. I still miss her but I know I gave her a great life and I know I made the right choice in the end to let her go. When the time comes you will also and I know how sad you will feel. Enjoy the time you have with her now....

Jack xx

I'm really sorry to hear that, It's completely understandable that it hurts to think about.. My dog is my absolute life and I couldn't bear not to have him in my life.

I think the main thing is that your not alone. It happens to many dog lovers and sadly it's a natural occurance. Just remember what happens, she has had a great life with you and that's what a dog deserves. For now I would say treat her like a queen, a nice big comfy bed and all the treats she wants. There was an article on Daily Mail which was really sweet, a dog owner was due to have her dog put down due to cancer, so she gave her one last meal, beefburgers, hotdogs etc which was really sweet. Have you heard of Bionic Biotic? It's a pro biotic powder which I give my dog as he has a sensitive tummy but they do do a powder for older dogs which gives them everything they need, it might help her with her arthritis.

I have tears rolling down my face. They are our beautiful thankfully companions. Jack I liked the way you put it. You gave him a great life and your heart can settle with this.

My fear is 1. to loose my wee man (Toto - Mini Schnawzer ) iand also 2. to hurt him in any way. When the time comes I can't bear the thought of him being anxious or worried. It would have to be happy and no suffering.

My heart sends you the warmest of Love, you will be strong for your dear friend.

Memories and the lives you've had together are solid, nothing can change that. Hold that in you heart and smile.

Love P x

I have tears rolling down my face. They are our beautiful thankfully companions. Jack I liked the way you put it. You gave him a great life and your heart can settle with this.

My fear is 1. to loose my wee man (Toto - Mini Schnawzer ) iand also 2. to hurt him in any way. When the time comes I can't bear the thought of him being anxious or worried. It would have to be happy and no suffering.

My heart sends you the warmest of Love, you will be strong for your dear friend.

Memories and the lives you've had together are solid, nothing can change that. Hold that in you heart and smile.

Love P x

That's why I arranged for the vets to come to us. Lucy HATED going in the car in her later years as it usually meant a trip to get claws clipped or the vets. She would shake & shiver & not be happy at all. I didn't want her final thoughts to be of that.

Instead, she was comfortable in her bed with the people who loved her the most.

Thank you so much everyone for sharing your stories and support; I've got tears rolling down my face reading your replies; It's really touched me that you have taken the time out to write back; thank you, I really appreciate it, especially as I havent been on this forum long.

I really have to spend this time enjoying her, rather than thinking about her going; but I guess I'm preparing myself at the same time, if that makes sense.

I have always said, as I have been responsible for her life, I have to also be responsible for her passing; if she is suffering in any way, I will do the kind thing and help her fall asleep.

I have thought of cremation and going to ask my vets about it, so that I have the information and I wont have to worry about it just now.

Pets really do become a part of the family! It's so funny, when I go on holiday and open the fridge in the hotel room or apartment, I always expect her to come up between my feet asking for cheese!

I am blessed to have her in my life; she has shared her life with me and I'm thankful to her, as there have been times in my life when I was going through hell, and she was the only little thing to put a smile on my face and remind me, although this world can be so hard, it can also be so utterly beautiful. x

Oh god in tears here :(
I often think about it, we have our dog Jimmy nearly three years. We took him as a foster dog at about 10 months old and he was in such a bad way. It took a good year before he relaxed and realised what a dogs life is....eating, playing, snoozing and major snoring! He's a cross between a cavalier and either a beagle or a cocker, not sure really!

He really is my best friend and I worry about the day the inevitable happens as I don't know how I'd cope.

Faefae, my friend got her dog cremated as she didn't want to bury him in case she ever moved. She keeps him on a shelf in the living room and with his collar in front of it.

I don't think anyone could ever understand the bond between a person and their dog...it really is amazing.

Sorry you are going through this, I know how heartbreaking it is to lose a pet.

Not a dog, but my when my cat died she was 17, we'd had her since I was 4 years old and she was part of the family. She was always a very active cat, so we knew she was going when she could hardly make it accross the kitchen without stopping and she didn't even have the energy to lick the tuna off her face. She would only eat if we hand fed her too at the end. It was awful. Her little belly was full of tumours, and she was in a lot of pain, so we had to put her to sleep. I was completely devastated and was a total wreck, I had to hide in the loos at work and cry!

It took 10 years before my mum could bring herself to get another cat and really she only did that because when she saw Jazzy in an RSPCA poster she did a double take because of how much she looked like our old cat.

Aw reading this makes me sad. My cats are very much my babies. My 15 year old cat died a few weeks back (old age) and exactly a week later my youngest cat got knocked over. My neighbours decided not to tell us and whoever did it took her away so we couldn't even say goodbye. I was distraught. So upsetting. Pets are part of the family xx

I'm really sorry to hear you're going through this too. It always feels at the time you are the only one. One of my Labradors is 12 and she is really not doing good, she has been diagnosed with cushings and is on borrowed time. I was married to a Vet so unfortunately know a bit too much. I know she isn't ready to go yet and when she is I think I will be too selfish to make the decision. I am going around in tears most of the time and if a client mentions her I have to diplomatically leave the room. I'm sorry I can't give you advice but I can tell you, I know exactly how you feel. I'm about to lose my best friend and I don't think I have ever felt anything hurt so much.

My friend Rufus went to sleep Jan 12. I still miss him dearly, even though I have two other fab dogs, Rufus & I just had that link. I had him cremated. He sits in his box on my bedside cabinet. I put my other dogs to bed on an evening, then go to bed & say goodnight to him. I have a lovely garden but just don't feel ready or right to put him outside (he hated the cold & rain). So for over a year he sits by me, like he always did. My heart goes out to you x

It really is awful when they go,but you just have to try and remember the good times with them. My first cat I'd had since a baby and she used to sleep with me every night. She got hit by a car and died instantly. She was 16,but still a kitten at heart. We had her cremated and spread her ashes in a clematis plant that we keep on my mums front doorstep in a pot. I wanted to make sure if my mum ever moves we could take her with us. Hated the thought if having to leave her and now whenever I go to my mums I give her a little wave.
Sending lots of hugs your way xxxx

I'm actually crying reading this. I have a westie called winston who is 10 months about the same age as my son. We got him so they both could grow up together. He's my wee best pal and we love him so much, I can't imagine what it will be like when he goes. I had a cat since I was 6 who died a few years ago aged 14. She had a tumour in her belly and was suffering so we put her to sleep. I was totally devastated so I know how you will be feeling. We are all here for you xxx

Hi there, really feel for you been through it a few times as had dogs (some rescued as adults-so knew we would only have a few years) we have had cats and kittens also. When the time comes if you need to have a vet come you can get them to cone to the house. As people said above look into cremation. Very sensitive. Also I think a tree is nice, you could get a small one and if you ever move plant it or keep it. There is a lovely and really emotional poem, google rainbow gate. Really sweet and I do believe in heaven and we will see out pets again. I am getting very emotional writing this but I wanted to reply to you as I have had dogs and cats all my life and they are so special. My dog poppy is 7 and it feels like I only got her yesterday even though it was when she was a puppy!

Sorry pressed reply before I put kisses on xxxxxx

Thank you everyone for your support; it's sad that we go through this, but I keep telling myself I've 'borrowed' my little dog from the angels, and one day have to give her back; she deserves to be free and not in any pain.

I'm sorry to hear some of you are going through this now, and hope when the time comes it's peaceful and calm for you and your pet.

To those of you who have already said goodbye to your pets, thank you for sharing your stories and the support; it really means a lot x

Latest posts

Back