I think my dog will pass away soon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So sorry to hear that - it is a hard thing to go through with any pet. We have ours buried in the garden so know how you feel. A colleague of mine had her cat cremated and now keeps him on her mantlepiece. Know it sounds odd and not the nicest thing to have to think of but could it be an option if you would like your little dog near you?

I lost my Pollyanna 21/7/2011 she was my baby as I have no children,got her at 10 weeks old,she was 12yr old when she was taken away from me,I myself had no idea what to do.....I Googled for info...and put her in her blanket with her toys....in a storage box.....drove to Wales me crying all the way....my other half dug a grave for her on the river bank wich was ground no one owned .....farmers ect
She is buy the caravan park we took her to every summer ,she ran along the river bank with love and enjoyed every time she went.
Miss her so much....but every time I go to the caravan I go and have a catch up with my best friend Pollyanna. Love to you all and for your sad times ahead.xxxx

My dog is my bestest friend ever.. I love him with everything I have, I often think about life without him. And I just break down. I plan to have him cremated and have a pretty photo box on my bedside table so he's always with me when I go to sleep, like he is now. Hopefully we have a few years left, I just can't imagine how I am going to be. But I will stay with my loyal companion until the last beat of his heart.

Hello faefae, I think about this too & very often, it's all part of owning animals & enjoying the time you have with them, but you never actually really think about what life would be like when it's finally time for them to go. I had a springer that lived to 15, he would have probably lived a lot longer if his hips had not gotten really weak, I have 2 Shar Pei's now, one we've had since a puppy (bitch - Belle) & one we rescued (dog - Brodie) & I have such a strong bond with Belle, I'll be gutted when she goes but I know I'll be able to find comfort in the fact that she's had an amazing life! I also have a horse but that doesn't even bear thinking about, she's like a best friend to me, all of my animals are.

Here's a little story that you might find comfort in :)

A Dog's Purpose?
(from a 6-year-old).

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa , and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle. I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home. As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience. The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker 's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.
Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ''I know why.'' Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the way I try and live. He said,''People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?'' The Six-year-old continued, ''Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'' Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like: When loved ones come home, always run to greet them. Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride. Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy. Take naps. Stretch before rising. Run, romp, and play daily. Thrive on attention and let people touch you. Avoid biting when a simple growl will do. On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass. On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree. When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body. Delight in the simple joy of a long walk. Be loyal. Never pretend to be something you're not. If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it. When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.

Hello faefae, I think about this too & very often, it's all part of owning animals & enjoying the time you have with them, but you never actually really think about what life would be like when it's finally time for them to go. I had a springer that lived to 15, he would have probably lived a lot longer if his hips had not gotten really weak, I have 2 Shar Pei's now, one we've had since a puppy (bitch - Belle) & one we rescued (dog - Brodie) & I have such a strong bond with Belle, I'll be gutted when she goes but I know I'll be able to find comfort in the fact that she's had an amazing life! I also have a horse but that doesn't even bear thinking about, she's like a best friend to me, all of my animals are.

Here's a little story that you might find comfort in :)

A Dog's Purpose?
(from a 6-year-old).

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa , and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle. I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home. As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience. The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker 's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.
Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ''I know why.'' Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the way I try and live. He said,''People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?'' The Six-year-old continued, ''Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'' Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like: When loved ones come home, always run to greet them. Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride. Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy. Take naps. Stretch before rising. Run, romp, and play daily. Thrive on attention and let people touch you. Avoid biting when a simple growl will do. On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass. On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree. When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body. Delight in the simple joy of a long walk. Be loyal. Never pretend to be something you're not. If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it. When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.
oh my goodness, i'm in tears reading this thread and this story, so touching and true xxx

Awwww thank you for the story pinkswoon; it's so true and we can learn a thing it two from our furry friends; we're so busy sometimes worrying, stressing and fighting to get through the day, we forget the little things that can make such a big difference!

I'm giving my pooch a good m.o.t and pampering this weekend; she's going to have a good haircut! She always looks like a puppy afterwards :) x

I think I will cremate my dog when the time comes and scatter her ashes; I don't know, but I think I might feel weird keeping her ashes; I feel like she should go back to the earth and be a part of nature, if that makes sense. But to be honest I don't know how I would feel when the time comes :-|

We lost our beloved Golden - Casper on 24th May 2009 . He had been steadily going downhill and we could not see him suffer so called the vet to our house to put him to sleep .

OMG as he went I though I would die . He was nearly 14 and we had had him from a pup . He followed me everywhere . I still am not over him even now . They are like our children so I can understand how you are feeling .

Since Casper we have lost our King Charles aged 8 from a heart attack and lost our lovely cat Milly 3 years ago aged 14 . All three of them are cremated and are in lovely little boxes in my study where I work. I know some may find that strange but I feel that they are still with me .

I could not bear to bury any of them in the garden because my biggest fear would be having to leave them behind if we move house .

We now have another King Charles- Poppy aged 11 and another Golden called Harvey .

When your time comes it will be hard and I don't think there is anything you can do to prepare yourself . I tried that with Casper as we knew that we would have to loose him . I tried to imagine life without him but it did not help I am afraid . Goodness the tears are welling up just writing this .

You have to try and take comfort in the fact that you gave your dog/cat or whatever pet the best life you could . That comforts me knowing that any animal we have has had a great life .Yes the pain when they go is wrenching BUT- I would rather have had them in my life than not

Sending you hugs xxx

This post is so sad :( I've lost too many animals over my life. But I'm blessed to have had these wonderful souls in my life. I like what you said faefae, that they are borrowed from the angels. My babies bring me such joy. They make me laugh everyday. And like someone said, they teach us so much.

Took my Sophie to a photo shoot because I wanted some lovely pictures of us both to show my kids :)

My little jack Russell's are the best of friends xx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362852493.141307.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362852493.141307.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 64
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362852665.312611.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362852665.312611.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 74
:sad: She's an old little spaniel (13) and I've had her since she was 12 weeks. She's on heart meds and has arthiritis, so bless her, she cant walk far; but she still has a good apetite and is always after our food!

I just dont know how I will deal with or what I will do with her when she's passed; I dont have a garden to bury her in. I know I probably shouldnt think about it too much, but feel like I need to be prepared.

It makes me so sad thinking about it, but it's the cycle of life and I have to deal with it; I just hope she goes comfortabley and I wouldnt have to make the decision for her.

Anyone going through this or have experienced it? I'm sorry to bring up such a depressing subject! But really need some support I guess x

It's so so hard my heart goes out to you.

When I found out my first dog, Sam, 15 years old, had a tumour on his hip and secondaries in his lungs I asked my Vet how I would possibly know when the right time comes he answered you just will and it would probably be weeks rather than months.

My biggest worry was I didn't want him to suffer any pain and would rather let him go too early than late. Two days later I looked into his eyes and I knew the time had come and called the Vet. Sam was put to sleep on his favourite bed with Me and Molly (my second dog) with him. I had him cremated and have his ashes in a lovely wooden box on top of where their leads were kept.

Molly lived for a further 3 years until she was 18 and again I saw that look in her eyes when the time came and I had her cremated and she's in the same wooden box as Sam.

For me, I would rather let them go too early than late because I couldn't cope knowing they were in any sort of pain and would always go for cremation. I have three more dogs and don't think I could live without one ever so know I will be in the exact same position at some point in the future.

It's a very hard time for you but all you can do is enjoy what time you have left with her and I'm sure you will know when the time comes if she doesn't make that decision for you.

My thoughts are with you and the other geeks who have responded to this thread x:hug:x:hug:x

Sending love and hugs... I know we will all be heartbroken when our dog goes to doggie heaven, he's just turned one so hoping we have many happy years as a family together, he's my girls best friend they adore each other xx

Latest posts

Back