ICS Nail Technician course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

connoisseur

Reaction score
It seems that everyone is getting on the nail technician course bandwagon.

I was watching telly this morning and an advert came on for ICS 'The World's No.1 in home learning'.

They were advertising a nail technician course. So me being me, I went onto their website to have a look.

The course overview says:

'As well as learning how to dress nails professionally, as part of your course you'll cover all the areas you need to work as a nail technician – such as the anatomy of the hands and skin and the health and safety aspects of work. Who knows – you might even end up running your own business!'

The cost of this home learning course...£449.10 if you book online.

On successful completion you get an ICS Nail Technician Diploma.

Future prospects according to the course:

'Manicurist, Pedicurist, Nail Technician.
This course will equip you with the basic grounding to follow a career in the nail and beauty industry.'

In my opinion, a lot of money for basic grounding, when you can pay a similar fee for something more rigourous.

This makes me think that we really do need a standardised national qualification that all technicians need to complete in order to become fully quaified and one natiaonally recognised governing body that technicians should be a member of, in order to practice.

This way we can ensure the general public are getting the best service possible because there is some kind of regulation happening.

Anyhow, these are my few words.

What do the rest of you think?

Hmmm these home-learning courses are worrying.

I was heartened to see GMG's notice about HABIA's Code of Practice consulatation. It shows that vital steps are being made to aid standardisation in the UK. I understand this COP is to only come into effect when investigating sub-standard salons, but let's hope this leads to a standard recognised qualification also.

I wonder what it would take for it HABIA to take the route you've suggested. I guess it might be about more nail techs gettting more involved in what HABIA are doing so that we can take this to another level.

An organisation is only as strong as its supporters.

connoisseur said:
I wonder what it would take for it HABIA to take the route you've suggested. I guess it might be about more nail techs gettting more involved in what HABIA are doing so that we can take this to another level.

An organisation is only as strong as its supporters.

You're dead right darling. I think having the COP is a good start though, especially as Samuel has been able to bring it to everyone's attention.

Latest posts

Back