I'm getting a puppy!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I can't wait now! I feel like I'm bringing a baby home! Ha ha! I need be prepared for when it cries at night because I'll just want to take it to bed with me! (My husband will not let this happen! Which is lucky!) :)

How exciting! We are getting a French Bulldog puppy in September, I can't wait! He will stay with me some days and go to work with my husband most days! Very strange how I have clients booking themselves in around the time we bring him home haha! X

Oh my god i would love a french bulldog!!! They're really expensive aren't they? Post a pic of him in september please!!!

Awww I love pups I have a jack russell pup shes 9 week old today.. she keeps eating her own poo though!!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Add some pineapple to her food. It slows down the digestive process so the food breaks down. When they eat and poop fast they can smell the food in the poop so they eat it as it hasnt digested properly.

My golden retriever pup used to eat his poop and the pineapple worked great. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Oscar never ate his poop, strange how some dogs do.
This is Oscar when we first had him and now.
He was hard to train and at 7 months he still isnt completely potty trained outside but it just takes persistence :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1375601545348.jpg
    1375601545348.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 1375601617444.jpg
    1375601617444.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 141
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1375603682.123142.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1375603701.727999.jpg
Millie at 8 weeks and now Millie at 10 months.

Quick question I hope someone could answer! We're not allowing her upstairs, so she'll be in her crate downstairs at night.
How do you cope when she starts "crying" (because I'm sure she will!) do you just ignore it?

Quick question I hope someone could answer! We're not allowing her upstairs, so she'll be in her crate downstairs at night.
How do you cope when she starts "crying" (because I'm sure she will!) do you just ignore it?

You have to ignore it my pup was making some proper weird noises she sounded like a hawk lol she was really throwing a hissy fit but after 10 days she stopped, if you give into them they will think ohh when I cry they come so will do it or the more it is horrible to ignore but only for afew days x

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

My pup was easy to toilet train I think after 1 poop and 3 wees indoors she then knows to jangle the keys in the back door to say she needs to go out. She eats her own poo too though 😝. I would not go down if she was crying at night though, my friend used to do this when her dog was a puppy worse idea ever!! His now 3 and 2-3 o'clock in the morning his barking downstairs until someone goes down and sits with him
For an hour it's a nightmare! Xx

Mine as a pup ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1375779209.417979.jpg

Her now (14 months old) ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1375779292.368035.jpg

My husband didn't want ours in the bedroom but we were advised to let her sleep in the bedroom the first few days whilst she got used to being away from her mum. She stayed in our room for the first 3 days then in her bed in the kitchen after that & we never had any crying she was 8weeks old :)

I'll try and be strong and just try and ignore her! I need to get her used to being on her own, especially if I've got clients for a couple of hours!
Also, another question! Lol! I've heard to have to get up every 3 hours at night to let the puppy out to to toilet train... Is that correct? Any tips regarding toilet training!

The only thing i can offer advice on is for the first 6 weeks we were up 2-3 times a night with him when he needed the toilet so its tiring but you've got to stick with it so they dont go on your carpets! But now he goes to the door if he needs out inbetween his walks.

The only other advice I would offer is lots of praise and a little treat when they go outside so they understand thats where to do it. I would also have some puppy mats handy incase your puppy cant make it to the garden. There will always be accidents until they learn and we dealt with them by pointing at the mess and saying 'bad' or gave him a tap on the nose so he understood it was wrong, however if it was our fault like we couldnt get up quick enough to let him go we didnt give him a row. As they get older in weeks they will need the toilet less often, now our dog goes at bed time then thats him until his walk in the morning.

I'll try and be strong and just try and ignore her! I need to get her used to being on her own, especially if I've got clients for a couple of hours!
Also, another question! Lol! I've heard to have to get up every 3 hours at night to let the puppy out to to toilet train... Is that correct? Any tips regarding toilet training!
I did this with my cocker- every 3 hours through the night. I gradually left her longer and longer till she slept all night. Was tiring but it worked for me- she was fully house trained in a few weeks! She is 2 1/2years now and has NEVER had any accidents :) everyone is different, but it worked for me! X

Ok, thanks for the advice! It's going to be a long couple of weeks! Lol! We don't have any carpet downstairs (which is lucky!) so any accidents won't be too bad :)

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1375812185.314787.jpg Here is my little man! :)

OMG I just want to be there with you to enjoy that little beauty. You have had fabulous advice and as an ex dog trainer I want to add that consistency is terribly important. If it is wrong today it is wrong tomorrow, Not on the bed today not tomorrow no matter how cute they are. REALLY HARD and I hate it but those are the choices we make. With the breed you are getting exercise is very important as they are working dogs, Not enough exercise means a bored and naughty dog. Enjoy , I know puppies are so adorable but I have decided to rescue instead as every puppy that finds a home means an unwanted abandoned pet will be killed due to irresponsible owners getting bored of them or giving up on the responsibility of keeping an innocent animal in their care

Aww how adorable!
Me and my bf got a puppy over a year ago, I grew up with dogs and bf had never had one, but he absolutely loves him! We have a cocker spaniel .

The best advice I can give, is at night when he cries don't get up with him. I didnt as I no someone who use to and it still cries at night. My puppy only cried the first 2 nights.

Another thing is I booked a week off work, and let the puppy out every 20 mins, this stopped him peeing in my home and I didn't use puppy pads as I don't really see the need. One thing i also found is as my spaniel got bigger, he did start chewing things, the best thing I did was take him on longer walks!! Something so simple saved some shoes! He now goes for and hour in the morning and 1-2 hours at night, but at the weekends he had the run of the garden all day too :)

Latest posts

Back