In a dilema, need some honest advise

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenny2

Reaction score
Hi guys, well for those of you that have been following my threads, you will no that i covered my first month rent and electric within two weeks. This week i am out to urn one hundred pound to press, next week not sure. Any way the person i rent my room off is selling up to his partner who is looking to take over a bigger place around the corner from were i am. Now these ladies would like to bring in a nail teck as at the min nail extensions have been the vain of me (but gonna check out new poppits) So they can increase proffit that way, a chiropidist so many days a week. They want to do childrens princess parties with me included. But we have had a few moments in regards to whats what and i have almost packed my bags three times since being there. Probably to a degree because there help that they have offered i have taken to personally but hey that me, i just have a slightly different way of looking at things. Well they want me to sighn a contract for as long as possible so that they can garantee my income in there new business venture.

Now i have put everything i have got into this room, products, equi, extra training. and clients are drip feeding through slowly. But it is the fear of saying i will go with them and have no matter what to find my rent every month with out any get out clawses. Ie four weeks notice. So my question is, do i go for it or do i pull back, my rent is due sat, take what money i have earnt, convert my dining room into a beauty room, and go mobile. I have twenty four hours to decide ladies so any opinions much appretiated.xxx
They want me sighn for at least twelve months.

I don't really understand what your asking? Are the plans to go into the new salon that is opening with the partner that has sold her share or stay where you are?

:idea: Sorry if I seem a little slow.

You need to look at it on a business level,
if you were to take on your own salon you would be signing for a lease and this could be for any number of years not months,
mine was for 7 years,
you have to believe in yourself,
and the new premises are only around the corner so with some clever advertising you can let all your clients know where you are going to be before you even go and they will follow,
put up signs now, in the door window, at reception and behind you at your desk so your clients can see it when they are sat with you,
when they ask about the move make it sound positive and tell them about it,
maybe even have a open event with cheap wine and nibbles and have a raffle for some treatments,
you have done so well in your first few weeks so you can make a go of this but you have to stay positive, if your clients see that you are negative about the move then they will be too hth :hug:

I'm afraid your thread was a little garbled.

So to recap.

At this new premises you will still rent, but they want you to sign a lease for 12 months.

They want to include you in lots of things: eg Princess Parties, but you don't like how they run things and have had a couple of run ins with them already.

Question for you Jenny,
this move, will it COST you anything to move?

If not, then go for it, but get a contract written up to state what you want from the place and how much of a cut you will get from joint ventures.

But, I sense from your last post that you have already got cold feet about it, so this is a way of getting out and going mobile or setting up in your dining room.

Remember that you can never GUARANTEE how much you will earn from week to week if you are self employed. I had 2 clients booked in today, but the second one cancelled yesterday so only ended up doing one, now I never bank on any money until it has actually been passed over to me.

chic, you have hit the nail on the head. I am scared of sighning a lease because at the minute my life is upside down. And yes for me mobile i suppose and working from home to a degree is a get out because i am not then tide to paying a fixed rent etc. But then you do not get the passing trade, more people seem to preffer to go to a salon than mobile, so by not going i could cut my own face off but by going i could end up either better off or with nothing. I also have a major competitor that now has three nail techs and two beauty therapists working for her and they are opening late nights four times a week. This has literally happened since i moved in, and yes this scares me. I know the clients that i have done are happy because they have re booked with me, one has come every week for the last three weeks. But there is always a but. Sorry guys my dyslexia gets worse when i am stressed xxx
Hippy chic, are you salon based or mobile, your note is spot on

Hi hun,

Have you voiced your concerns with the people who want you to sign up for the year? It might pay you to have a chat to let them know what exactly it is you're feeling.

Hope that whatever you decide works out well. :hug:

Hi jenny I have been following your threads, and I think that at this stage if you have nearly packed you bags three times you need to really think hard because first impressions last. These are your options:
know what your confidence level is and setup your own salon
or
stay with the group of people you mentioned and risk loosing everything. It sounds as though the atmosphere is already dense. :)

Personally I would go with them but specifically under your own terms. Ask for a lease with a get-out clause after six months perhaps and then renewable every 12 months. going with them sounds like you will make more brass and open up new doors and customers for you eg. princess parties. If they wont, then I wouldnt do it. Then I would perhaps go mobile and look at getting premises totally away from them and your new competition and just let your new customers know where you have moved to. Perhaps rent a room in a beautician's that dont do spray tanning or a hairdressers or a nail bar ?? If they arent willing to shift and come to an amicable lease that you are both happy with (and taking into account you dont particularly see eye to eye) I would tell them to get on with it. hth and remember what will be, will be and things always happen for a reason xxxxx

Latest posts

Back