In home salon, honest opinions please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsHarryWinston

Reaction score
Thinking ahead to what I want to do once finish training. Mobile is out for now as my car died and I have a wedding to save up for. Thinking in home salon. We just moved to a new condo and I don't have a spare room to set up, so that pretty much leaves the dining room. I'm a bit nervous about this idea. I've read basically every in home salon thread on here but...

My condo is open concept, very bright and airy. I would basically convert the dining area into a salon area for clients and put up a couple of room divider screens to close it off a bit, make it cozier. No worries about kids, I don't have any, and the boy would be at work while I was taking clients so complete privacy. I just want to know how you guys as clients would feel about the space. Oh the white chair you see is a leather rocking recliner. Perfect for pedicures. The first two pics are the space as it sits now, the rest are it transformed (mock up) into salon.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1392589552.863797.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1392589586.980453.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1392589618.899046.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1392589653.077497.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1392589682.109304.jpg

So if I put up a screen blocking off the view of the kitchen (even though it's spotless), and then one behind their chair it will close the space in and make it seem more cozy? And I can tilt the tv so they have a nice view to watch a movie if they want. (I love watching movies when I get my hair done at a salon).

What do you guys think? Would you be put off? I don't want it to feel like I've just sat them at the dining table. I think I fixed that by changing the shape of the table and removing the extra chairs?? I'm just so nervous. I want it to be really classy.

Oh and if you're sitting on the couch (or at the dining table) this is the view to the kitchen. I would put the screen along the island to block it.
And as you can see behind the clients chair is huge open space. That's where I could move the pedicure chair to. Lots of lovely space in which to work.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1392590188.754258.jpg

Seems fine to me, sometimes there is a bit of snobbery with home salons and open spaces but I feel asking as your work is good clients would have their nails done down a back alley!!! As long as your delivering a good service they will come and they will come back again and again!

Seems fine to me, sometimes there is a bit of snobbery with home salons and open spaces but I feel asking as your work is good clients would have their nails done down a back alley!!! As long as your delivering a good service they will come and they will come back again and again!

Thanks, that's what I'm really praying for! I want to really fine tune my skills and offer the best products possible. And then really cater to clients in a way most places around here don't seem to. Zen music, yummy fresh smells, complete privacy. I want them to feel like theyve found a hidden treasure of a place. I just worry about how to get that all across in my dining room!

Thanks, that's what I'm really praying for! I want to really fine tune my skills and offer the best products possible. And then really cater to clients in a way most places around here don't seem to. Zen music, yummy fresh smells, complete privacy. I want them to feel like theyve found a hidden treasure of a place. I just worry about how to get that all across in my dining room!

Don't worry, remember even more than that people will buy into you! If they like you, and your work even better. Get some soft music and set the scene but don't worry. I have a similar issue my house is open plan and I'm going to be working in a space by my stairs. I intend to set it up as professionally as I can but ultimately my work will speak for itself I hope!!!

Don't worry, remember even more than that people will buy into you! If they like you, and your work even better. Get some soft music and set the scene but don't worry. I have a similar issue my house is open plan and I'm going to be working in a space by my stairs. I intend to set it up as professionally as I can but ultimately my work will speak for itself I hope!!!

Thanks, I feel a bit more confident about it.

I think it's great. I used to have a room as my salon in my garage but then clients were booking me in the evening when their kids were in bed so I never worked from home and it got turned into a gym! Last week a client was passing and rang to see if she could stop and get her nails done, I said yes and we sat at my kitchen table! She said it was nice to get out the house and have it done and preferred it to driving into town finding a space etc.. I'm sure clients will be happy as long as your work is good! Good luck xx

I work like this from home now, i do put up a screen to seperate me a little, so im not always looking at my front room for days on end, works for me. Your space looks fine. Mines on my fb page if you want a nosy. I say to clients my set up is like a mobile therapist but set up at mine. I pack it all away at the end of my day rather than after every client as you would if having to travel.

I work like this from home now, i do put up a screen to seperate me a little, so im not always looking at my front room for days on end, works for me. Your space looks fine. Mines on my fb page if you want a nosy. I say to clients my set up is like a mobile therapist but set up at mine. I pack it all away at the end of my day rather than after every client as you would if having to travel.

What's your FB? I'm looking for ideas to sort mine out.

There's a link to it under my profile name.x

I plan to set up in my conservatory when I have finished training (hopefully it gets approved that is lol) if not I will be mobile doing evening only.

I think it's great. I used to have a room as my salon in my garage but then clients were booking me in the evening when their kids were in bed so I never worked from home and it got turned into a gym! Last week a client was passing and rang to see if she could stop and get her nails done, I said yes and we sat at my kitchen table! She said it was nice to get out the house and have it done and preferred it to driving into town finding a space etc.. I'm sure clients will be happy as long as your work is good! Good luck xx

Thank you so much, that's so great to hear! I'll just need to attract some friendly, relaxed, down to earth clients! She sounds lovely.

There's a link to it under my profile name.x

Was looking at your hours are they to fit in with school hours, what happens with school holidays?

That's a really great way to explain it! I've only just started using the SG app so I'll have to figure out how to find your Facebook link...(or more likely just give up and try to find it using the regular web page).

I feel so relieved to hear that my space looks ok. I think it helps that it's so bright. But really, that whole set up like a mobile therapist but at home, idea is brilliant!

I'm so glad I have seen this thread! I don't have a car and and wanting to work from home! But I don't have a spare room (the fella has kids so my spare room is gone *moment of silence* lol) but I am going to get a wall mounted folding table, plus my draws for all my equipment put into my large lounge area! Then I can fold it down and move the chairs round it. Have a large mirror on the wall, certificates and a small handheld mirror to the right and a nail polish stand on the left (all wall mounted) so I can fold it all away when the family are around and pull it out for salon time which will be when the kids are in bed/at nursery and the fella ain't around! I was concerned what people would think to this but was hoping my work and me would keep them coming back! My bathroom is downstairs so they don't need to go up stairs for anything and then teas/coffees/refreshments would be prepared in the separate kitchen!

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

I am currently setting up my 'home salon' area, which will be in our dining room. Our living / dining rooms are open plan so I will use a room divider and have the end with the french doors - IF we have a nice summer I can work with them open so my client can look out onto the garden!
So excited about my little space!! :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Wall mountable fold away table sounds good! I might look into that! Do you know where I can get one?

Mines all open plan too but I have a little cubby hole area which is separated with two walls. Gonna work there. I also have a downstairs loo.

IKEA! Iv sent a picture to my dad to see if he will make me one first!!! But if not ikea all the way

IKEA! Iv sent a picture to my dad to see if he will make me one first!!! But if not ikea all the way

My dad is super handy! I'm going to have a look and see if he can replicate it too! Thanks!

The one I saw on Google was really simple and came straight out like the ironing boards you see in films lol! Absolutely perfect for a tidy away salon

Latest posts

Back