ingrowing hairs (is it a bad waxer)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angyou423

Reaction score
I was amazed to read in a magazine that ingrowing hairs are caused by a bad waxer. i would love to here from people with their thoughts on this

I'm not a beautician but I have been getting waxed regularly for years - occasionally get ingrowing hairs but has never been a major problem. Think it is just me a my lack of exfoliation sometimes
:)

angyou423 said:
I was amazed to read in a magazine that ingrowing hairs are caused by a bad waxer. i would love to here from people with their thoughts on this

Not 100% but I agree it could be a contributing factor ~ i.e. the Therapist didnt follow the correct procedure or didnt provide the client with homecare/ aftercare advice.

i have to disagree, every time i have waxing by a professional i get ingrowing hairs, i am very dark haired and my hairs are extremely strong and feel this is a contributing factor to my ingrowing hairs.

nemotail said:
Not 100% but I agree it could be a contributing factor ~ i.e. the Therapist didnt follow the correct procedure or didnt provide the client with homecare/ aftercare advice.

I am sorry to say but Ive bin waxing clients continually (well apart from the weekend boozathon!!!) for 9yrs....and whilst I dont profess to be perfect.....its usuallly the clients failure to follow simple after care advice!
Its imperative...and after 9yrs I know who does and who doesnt....(even if they stake their life on it!) to exfoliate regularly!

Look at it this way....us waxers are faced with the task of removing hair right from root level. We remove at the correct angle...endevouring to remove without breakage etc.
The hair is removed....bulb et al...and the follicle is technically empty.
Brand new hair starts to grow.....(this is afterall a temporary method of hair removal.....:green:
New hair is fine and baby like....it gets to the follicle surface and is so weak and tiny it simply cannot force its way thru the build up of dead skin cells and stuff.
Exfoliation...body mitt ( exclusive per client....Health and hygiene here!) exfoliating body scrub or whatever you choose to use....24-48 hours After your treatment certainly helps inmajor ways allevaite the distressing karma of ingrowns!

All that aside.....I believe some people are far more prone than others.....and despite regular exfoliation and rigid home care...the blighters still occur.
I have regular waxers...who I know for fact are religious with their aftercare routine....that cannot avoid the dreaded ingrown hair scenario!

Any treatment that removes hair from below the surface of the skin can result in ingrown hairs, regardless of the method. Rather than growing straight up and out, the hair gets trapped, and will sometimes pierce the wall of the follicle and cause an inflammatory response. Curly hairs are understandably a contributing factor (hence why we most often see ingrown hairs after a bikini wax), and dry skin can make the situation worse.

Bad waxing may in rare cases result in hair breaking off just below the surface of the skin, but that in itself is no guarantee that the hair will become ingrown. I've heard that waxing, sugaring and tweezing (regardless of good or bad technique) may distort the follicle, which can result in abnormal hair growth... I guess this could contribute to the problem if it means the new hair can't grow cleanly out, but looking after the skin properly following a wax will help relieve this anyway. This means the client has to take some responsibility to keep those nasty blighters at bay!

I tell all my clients to exfoliate from the second day after waxing if their skin can take it, and encourage them to use a product with salicylic acid in such as PFB Vanish to shift any build-up of dead skin cells. Nothing to get trapped under = no more ingrowns!! :)

If the person being waxed (or "waxee" has a nice ring to it, don't you think?!) either does not look after the area properly and exfoliate regularly - preferably with both a sisal mitt and occasional chemical exfoliation - or is an individual especially prone to ingrown hairs, then they're inevitably going to get them.

Has nothing to do with the waxer's skill, in fact you may have less chance of ingrown hairs with a 'bad' waxer as they are more likely to break off hairs than pull them out, and it's when a hair has to re-grow from scratch that it can become ingrown.

My bikini line's so prone I'm having it lasered soon....not worried about the pain, more about the position I'll have to adopt :o

Ok it's all been said but I had to have my 2 cents worth. The main cause of ingrown hair is lack of exfolliation. SO its down to home care not what happens in the salon.

nemotail said:

Think my post might have been misunderstood the point I was trying to make is thats its the Therapists responsibility to inform the client how to look after their skin after it has been waxed - dont assume clients know aftercare - it has to be spelt out. I have been waxing for a couple of years and always repeat my aftercare advise after each treatment - my regulars know it off by heart but I still repeat it. It is as if not more important to moisturise the area as it is to exfoliating it - if the skin is sufficiently moisturised skin cells will shed naturally. Over exfoliation can lead to skin dehydration which will exacerbate the problem

A scenario - client has their first ever waxing - Therapist waves client off without mention of homecare or aftercare. Client applies fake tan/ makeup/ has a sunbed/ doesnt exfo, doesnt moisturise i.e. breaks all the rules. Result hairs will grow back and cant break through the epidermis resulting in ingrown hairs.

Yes Angel clients still get ingrown hairs but IMHO those who dont follow aftercare advice are more prone to them.

Axiom said:
Any treatment that removes hair from below the surface of the skin can result in ingrown hairs, regardless of the method. Rather than growing straight up and out, the hair gets trapped, and will sometimes pierce the wall of the follicle and cause an inflammatory response. Curly hairs are understandably a contributing factor (hence why we most often see ingrown hairs after a bikini wax), and dry skin can make the situation worse.

Bad waxing may in rare cases result in hair breaking off just below the surface of the skin, but that in itself is no guarantee that the hair will become ingrown. I've heard that waxing, sugaring and tweezing (regardless of good or bad technique) may distort the follicle, which can result in abnormal hair growth... I guess this could contribute to the problem if it means the new hair can't grow cleanly out, but looking after the skin properly following a wax will help relieve this anyway. This means the client has to take some responsibility to keep those nasty blighters at bay!

I tell all my clients to exfoliate from the second day after waxing if their skin can take it, and encourage them to use a product with salicylic acid in such as PFB Vanish to shift any build-up of dead skin cells. Nothing to get trapped under = no more ingrowns!! :)

This is exactly what I would say as well. I love PFB... we just started using it in place of Tend Skin and my clients love it. But yes... it is so very important that we educate our clients on homecare.

I do both waxing and Alexandria Body Sugaring and I much prefer the sugaring for this very reason. As you know, waxing is pulling the hair against the natural growth of the hair. This is going to cause more ingrowns because the longer you do waxing on a person you are essentually changing the direction of the folical. With sugaring you are puliing with the direction of the hair growth, allowing the hair to remain in the same growth direction. Exfoliating does play, IMO, a small part in how many ingrowns you have, especially in waxing. As bad as it is for me to admit this, i do not exfoliate:cry: . I do, however, sugar my legs myself. Before I did this I was riddled with ingrowns from shaving. After the second time of sugaring myself my ingrowns were virtually non exsitent (I still don't exfoliate:cry: ). So to answer the original question, IMO, it's not so much the person as it may be the method.

Blame the therapist, lol. I agre with Nemo its all about good aftercare information. Its not the therapists fault if the client doesnt follow after care advice though.

Wouldnt this have something to do with the type of hair the client has also?

Strong dark hair, in particular Afro-Caribbean/African grows back with a kink, so gentle exfoliation of the area is essential.

For this type of hair, or any dark hair I personally use hot wax; this wax sticks to the hair rather than the skin so I get a better result.

However, the majority of therapists I know use warm wax which is painful (it sticks to your skin) and may not achieve a very good result on strong dark hair...

Do you know what i have tons of ingrowing hairs and in over ten years of waxing i have NEVER been old to exfoliate 24/48 hr after. Is there anything i can do about the ingrowing hairs now?

Hey Lucia :hug: ,
I too had been getting waxed for years and never given any aftercare advice, wasnt until I did my course it all became clear. :rolleyes: Too many therapists assume clients who have been waxed before will know what to do ~ aftercare is very important.
Exfoliate - I find using bath gloves or a shower scrunchie thing daily and an exfoliating product - body scrub once/ twice a week is sufficient but this is dependant on the sensitivity of your skin. Combined with moisturising with a body lotion the daily the hairs should break through the surface on their own. If I have one like a spot a gentle squeeze usually pops it out but try once and if it doesnt come apply Tea Tree oil and leave it ~ dont pick or try to dig them out as this will cause scarring. Australian Body Care Lotion is fab becasue it contains Tea Tree Oil which is anti bacterial and helps prevent infection.
HTH
KxXx

Serkan had an operation on Thursday to remove an ingrowing hair from the bottom of his back and on the same day a total of 5 people had the same operation!

Its a really big problem over here at the moment. He had 5 stitches altogether :cry: !!

Latest posts

Back