Inhibition layer ... remove or not remove ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagpuss

Sleepy Geek Zzzzzzzz
Reaction score
After reading another thread about the inhibition layer and Shellac and other threads where the inhibition layer has been discussed I thought the subject could do with a little more clarification and a thread all of its own :)

I was taught and always believed that gel only adhered to a dull (shine removed) surface (be it a natural nail with the shine removed or a gel surface with the shine removed) or its own sticky inhibition layer ... is this still the case.....? anyone know anything different, been taught different, tried it another way and its results...???

I remember the times when a client has gone through her hair or scratched her arm covered in a mohair sleeve resulting in a rather hairy gel surface...:mad: so i have in those situations wiped with my scrub fresh and then filed with a 180 on the gel already cured so that i can continue with more gel......are we saying that this is now not necessary and we can just wipe and go.....

or is it just with certain gels.....or Shellac (as it doesn't even need any shine removed to adhere)

I don't believe the presence or absence of the inhibition layer is the thing here. (Gel will bond with gel, it's the bonding with the natural nail that's important)

However, it will depend on the tackiness of the product as to whether it will sit properly on a shiny surface, i.e. a surface with NO inhibition layer. Some products will not 'stick' to a shiny surface, others will (e.g. some felt tip ink will shrink away when used on a white board, others will write on it perfectly)

I've certainly wiped away an inhibition layer with Shellac for the same reason you have and had no problem at all. It all depends on whether the product will 'grab' or shrink away.

Does this help or have I confused the question? :confused:

yeah that does help :hug: (love the pen and white board example)

so its safe to say then that people are best "sticking" :)lol:) to the gel brands training and recommendations as to removing or not.

yeah that does help :hug: (love the pen and white board example)

so its safe to say then that people are best "sticking" :)lol:) to the gel brands training and recommendations as to removing or not.

Yep! "Sticking" :eek: to recommendations is always better. However, having an understanding of the process will always allow for those times when things don't quite go to plan (like your fluffy jumper :lol:)

Latest posts

Back