Insurance and skin testing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natsel

Reaction score
Hi all,
when a customer comes into the salon asking for a full head colour, wether it be a virgin head or someone thats previously coloured there hair but hasnt been to the salon before, or someone thats had foils but never a all over colour I always do a skin test to make sure everythings ok.

But Ive read in some posts that even if a client as a skin test and signs to say they have had one if something was to go wrong it wouldnt be worth the paper its written on?

It got me thinking :)eek: ) about salon insurance ,the salon I work in is with salon gold insurance and I dug it out in the week to have a look at what actually is says about colouring, alot of it baffles me with science but as far as hairdressing is concerned it says we are covered for everything obviously listing perming colouring hightlighting etc but it doesnt say anything about skin testing etc unless ive missed something.

But just out of curiosity what does everyone else do as far as skin testing is concerned and there insurance , does it state that you have to do one everytime , or every other time or not at all ,(touch wood (touches head) that nothing as ever gone wrong for me as in a client having a reaction ) but it makes me wonder if people say thats its not always worth the paper its written on and it doesnt actually state in black and white what you can do as far as skin testing is done what are you acutally supposed to do?

I'm sorry if it doesnt make much sense what Ive written I know what im trying to say but not sure if ive explained it right :)

I am with salon gold and have not seen anything re skin tests but I always do them with every client every time and with all colours including highlights, I really dont think its worth the risk not to. I get them to sign a form to say they have had one and i always keep them, whether they be any use if anything was to happen on the day, but at least I have done one.

Just out of interest ( and I'm NOT picking honest ! ) why would you do a skin test for foils when they dont touch the skin ?

I am with salon gold and have not seen anything re skin tests but I always do them with every client every time and with all colours including highlights, I really dont think its worth the risk not to. I get them to sign a form to say they have had one and i always keep them, whether they be any use if anything was to happen on the day, but at least I have done one.

thanks hun glad I'm not seeing things on the salon gold insurance front :hug:

I contacted my insurance company recently, porfessional hair direct, to check on their policy for skin tests as i was also worried about the whole waiver signiture thing being worthless and their reply was:

"you are required to do all treatments exactly as you have been trained and following the manufacturers instructions"

when I replyed back saying I was trained to carry them out every six months, is this ok with requirements, they just reiterated the same thing.

Touch wood I never have to test the theory of the policy out :)

Just out of interest ( and I'm NOT picking honest ! ) why would you do a skin test for foils when they dont touch the skin ?

The colour from the foils would come into contact with the skin even if only briefly when rinsing...We were always told to skin test for ANY colouring service. xx

Just out of interest ( and I'm NOT picking honest ! ) why would you do a skin test for foils when they dont touch the skin ?[/quote
Because the colour could leak on the scalp and cause a reaction.

I also think that most of the companies now state on the lieaflet inside the pack that you should do the test prior to every coloring...... I know L'Oreal does. Indola, not sure, but I do it anyway.

Latest posts

Back