Insuring your hands?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronray

Reaction score
Has anyone here insured their hands etc against damage or disability?
Just a thought, as obviously if we ever injured our hands severely we wouldn't be able to do our jobs.
If anyone has, can you point me in the direction of how I'd go around it please?

Many, many years ago there was a thread on here about a similar thing, general consensus was it was extremely expensive, back then a quote was something like £400 a month. The pitfall is making sure the policy is worded correctly and doesn't just prevent you from hairdressing for instance. They get out of paying because you could still work, just not as a hairdresser, so they don't have to pay. What job you were supposed to do after a career if potential many years in the hair industry I have no idea????!

If you want to investigate I'd start with your current insurers, if they can't help they should be able to recommend someone.

Many, many years ago there was a thread on here about a similar thing, general consensus was it was extremely expensive, back then a quote was something like £400 a month. The pitfall is making sure the policy is worded correctly and doesn't just prevent you from hairdressing for instance. They get out of paying because you could still work, just not as a hairdresser, so they don't have to pay. What job you were supposed to do after a career if potential many years in the hair industry I have no idea????!

If you want to investigate I'd start with your current insurers, if they can't help they should be able to recommend someone.
Thank you for your reply. £400 a month is crazy!
I don't know why I thought about it, but it was like a light bulb moment last night.

Thank you for your reply. £400 a month is crazy!
I don't know why I thought about it, but it was like a light bulb moment last night.

Pocket change for Sir Elton John ;) , but worth investigating further if you’re keen to find out.

Do you mean insure your hands specifically, or have insurance if you can't do your job?

Having income protection pays you an amount if you are signed off sick. The best policies will pay out up until retirement and cover you for 'own occupation'.
You can get accident protection which is normally a lump sum for injury, which often includes permanent loss of use of hands.

You can also insure an actual body part, but it is expensive and there are lots of ways of phrasing it which may or may not result in a payout. Loss of use due to illness, like a stroke, may not be covered.

Speak to a personal insurance broker to get a better idea of what's out there.
An excellent simple and cost effective accident cover product is from MetLife. They don't supply direct, but they can pass you to a local broker.

I sadly broke my wrist just before Christmas and found I wasn’t covered by my insurance! I had to take 3 months off, then did a trial week to gently start back and had to close the following week due to Covid nightmare!!

Latest posts

Back