Intimate waxing-what to expect?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace_Hair

Reaction score
Hi. I understand everyone works differently. So if you guys think that I should ask the Beauty therapist doing it, just let me know.

I've never had any intimate waxing done before. So have no idea what to expect.

They have a shower there which I'll use before (obviously) should I take my own towel/body wash?

Because I've never had an intimate wax before do you think she'll just keep going depending how I cope? I eventually want it all gone.

What sort of pants should I wear? I don't want anything that will make me MORE uncomfortable after? Are skinny jeans a no go after? Should i wear a dress?

Is it more or less awkward to talk while she's looking at my 'stuff'

Should I use any painkillers first?

Am I just being a wimp?!

Hi. I understand everyone works differently. So if you guys think that I should ask the Beauty therapist doing it, just let me know.

I've never had any intimate waxing done before. So have no idea what to expect.

They have a shower there which I'll use before (obviously) should I take my own towel/body wash?

Because I've never had an intimate wax before do you think she'll just keep going depending how I cope? I eventually want it all gone.

What sort of pants should I wear? I don't want anything that will make me MORE uncomfortable after? Are skinny jeans a no go after? Should i wear a dress?

Is it more or less awkward to talk while she's looking at my 'stuff'

Should I use any painkillers first?

Am I just being a wimp?!

I'm only going by my experience in having waxes, I'm not qualified to give waxes.

I've never been anywhere where they have a shower to use so I can't help with that aspect but I'd assume to take your own bits because of allergic reactions to body washes etc?

In my experience, they have always been very good and I remember my first wax, the therapist told me to let her know if it was too uncomfortable. I've never found it particularly painful, just uncomfortable. I was very nervous the first time but they do it regularly, they just want to give you the best treatment.
I have always worn a thong and skinny jeans as I'm worried I'll get stuck together!

I'd suggest seeing how you feel at the time. I find it easier to talk to them although they always ask questions as they're about to rip your hairs out, a bit like when you're in a restaurant and they ask how your meal is when you have a mouthful! For me, it's difficult to talk when the hair is being removed as I feel like I'll squeal haha.

I've never taken painkillers first. I don't think you're being a wimp, it's natural to be nervous about something like this. It's potential pain, an intimate area and a first time!

Grace_Hair you will come out of there delighted and wondering why you were so nervous !
Loose clothing (I wouldn't go in skinny jeans...aftercare is loose clothing so start as you mean to go on. ).
My ladies come ready showered.....I can't comment on where you are going but as long as you arrive fresh no problem.
With new ladies I always start with one or two strips and we take it slowly and at the clients pace, so that they know that we can stop at any time. We've never needed to ! Your therapist will do her utmost to put you at ease and you will be absolutely fine. (I'm assuming that you have researched and are going to a reputable therapist as I realise you are a long term geek).
Client/therapist relationship is paramount and the rest follows without YOU having to think about it....
Talk if you want to talk, don't if you don't but I really think you will be pleasantly surprised.
[emoji173]️
I've never found that people need painkillers, it's quick and its sharp and most importantly it's OVER. Once the strip is off, the sensation is gone, no ongoing pain, it's a case of pull, done.

I go to this therapist regularly for leg wax. And have been more than happy.

She's worked in the most reputable salon in the area before having her own. And I feel comfortable with her.

She however isn't Kim Lawless trained which was a downside.

I've never been somewhere that's had a shower but I always arrive freshly showered so I have no idea how that would work.
It's not as painful as you think if it's done right it hurts as the hair comes out but is one right after. I tend to just wear leggings for comfort. In terms of underwear I usually just wear briefs I made the mistake of wearing a lace thong with out thinking that was quite uncomfortable.
I find talking more comfortable I went to one woman who barely said a word and I found that rather uncomfortable but the other women I've been to have been really chatty and I personally find that puts me at ease and distracts me a bit but it's really personal preference. Don't be afraid before my first one I felt really panicky at the thought of having to strip of and stuff but now I don't mind most therapists are so professional and remember they do this everyday they've seen everything and dealt with lots of newbies so most are willing to try and put you at ease xx

Last edited:
Take wipes if you are worried about your cleanliness, and have a quick freshen up before the treatment.
For Hollywood & Brazilian, I ask my clients to remove pants. They just get in the way and will prob end up with wax on them.
The therapist will be used to nervous clients and will put you at ease
The first time is always a bit daunting, but you'll be fine.

I go to this therapist regularly for leg wax. And have been more than happy.

She's worked in the most reputable salon in the area before having her own. And I feel comfortable with her.

She however isn't Kim Lawless trained which was a downside.

I don't think you need to worry about her not being Kim Lawless trained - although Kim is very good, there are a lot of excellent wax therapists out there that haven't trained with Kim. Just make sure that she is using Hot Wax (removed with her hand) rather than Strip Wax (removed with a fabric/ paper strip) as Hot Wax is a lot more comfortable in sensitive areas such as intimate waxing. Also no 'double-dipping' of her spatula in the wax pot.

When do you go @Grace_Hair? We want feedback.

I always ask if clients have had it done before, then run through exactly what will happen - no knickers, hop on the couch etc etc. When clients are particularly nervous, I've often just worked in, then a bit more, then a bit more and before you know it, knickers are off and your hair is being removed.

She's done this before many times. I agree with the shower thing - we don't offer it. Clients often pop to the ladies to freshen up before hand but the therapist will give you a good clean before waxing commences to remove any oils etc.

Definitely look for non strip wax as explained above, no double dipping and as you've already met her, someone you feel comfortable with.

I always try and make my clients laugh to put them at ease so a bit of banter works wonders.

A little tip. I have one client who constantly goes "oh sorry, poor you having to do this. Oh god so embarrassing" and so on. All the while trying to pull her top down to cover her growler. If I can't see it, I can't wax it. I constantly remind her that I do them all the time and it's fine and one is much like another and so on but her constant embarrassment and apology is quite wearing. At the end of the day, I chose to wax them, no one made me, and they're extremely lucrative.

Vic x

Last edited:
I go in Tuesday. I've got a free afternoon so I have time to run home first!

I'm so looking forward to it. I've never been so fluffy

I go in Tuesday. I've got a free afternoon so I have time to run home first!

I'm so looking forward to it. I've never been so fluffy

Been following this post as I've been wanting to get waxed for my holiday next month but too scared please do tell how it was [emoji4][emoji4]

:rolleyes:
Realised I posted this reply in the wrong thread!

Haha!!

Ok... So, had my wax. And you know what. Wasn't too bad!

She did the front of my legs thenstraight into the Hollywood.

I wore disposable pants. And had to hold particular areas out the way.

There was a sting with the lip (?) hair removal area.

She did most of the arse area by me bringing my knee to my chest.

I was on all fours briefly to do the crack.

I only had to hold my skin taut twice.

It wasn't too painful apart from the lip bit.

She did leave a bit on my left lip but, I'm not getting any action so I can cope til next time because it's fine blonde hairs.

Excellent Grace ! I was wondering how you'd got on.....great to hear. So you'll go again...result [emoji4]

Excellent Grace ! I was wondering how you'd got on.....great to hear. So you'll go again...result [emoji4]

Yeah. I've got a holiday booked in September so have booked up til then as its a struggle fitting in.

It has grown back super quick in places. This was explained to me...

When do you go @Grace_Hair? We want feedback.

I always ask if clients have had it done before, then run through exactly what will happen - no knickers, hop on the couch etc etc. When clients are particularly nervous, I've often just worked in, then a bit more, then a bit more and before you know it, knickers are off and your hair is being removed.

She's done this before many times. I agree with the shower thing - we don't offer it. Clients often pop to the ladies to freshen up before hand but the therapist will give you a good clean before waxing commences to remove any oils etc.

Definitely look for non strip wax as explained above, no double dipping and as you've already met her, someone you feel comfortable with.

I always try and make my clients laugh to put them at ease so a bit of banter works wonders.

A little tip. I have one client who constantly goes "oh sorry, poor you having to do this. Oh god so embarrassing" and so on. All the while trying to pull her top down to cover her growler. If I can't see it, I can't wax it. I constantly remind her that I do them all the time and it's fine and one is much like another and so on but her constant embarrassment and apology is quite wearing. At the end of the day, I chose to wax them, no one made me, and they're extremely lucrative.

Vic x

Cover her growler [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] brilliant!!!!

Do not shower before a wax!!!!! it will be very painful!
You must leave at least an hour before a wax and 6 hours after.
You can use wipes and if it's very long the hair give it a trim, if it's very long it will have more pull and hurt more.
Wear lose clothing and knickers with either no elastic (like a boxer) or seamless ones makes less friction.
Make sure you exfoliate a couple of days after and keep that up till the next visit. This will prevent in growing hairs.
Take two painkillers if your nervous 1 hour before as they are the most effective at this point. Use after wax lotion if you have any as well or nappy cream helps with the redness.
Hope that helps you and any one else who is thinking of getting a wax xxxx

Latest posts

Back