iPhone card machine?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello fellow Geeks, can I ask if you charge the client for the 2.75% charge or just absorb the cost when taking a card payment on izettle? I have the gadget to go in my iPhone but have not used it yet. Most of my ladies are regulars and pay into my Bank account either prior to coming or straight after Treatment on Internet banking. I would like to stop taking cheques really as they take a full week to clear with Santander so card payment would be great. TIA.

It will take longer than a week to receive the money this way, I don't charge any extra for card payments. 2.75% is only £2.75 out of every £100 so it doesn't seem worth it.

No i dont charge the clients for paying by card.

I've used my Sumup twice in 3 weeks but it's great as it saves the clients turning up late as they "had to go to the bank beforehand"!! I also think its good if they wish to buy anything and don't have the cash on them, you can take their payment by card.

I think it's a great app and I'm just glad to have the option for them in the end.

Oh and I also have opened up my wifi at home, so they can log on using that and it's a lot quicker.

Hi, this might be a silly question but with izettle do you have to buy the reader that is £100 or can you take the payment just through the app? X

you can take payment through the app or you can get the £20 card reader that plugs into the head phone jack. You pay £20 to get the reader sent to you but you get a £20 voucher when it comes to use towards the payment charges so technically it's free x

I am seriously considering getting this for my business, I have read all the threads but my main concern is that clients won't trust this option.
I'm not sure how I would feel if I knew nothing about it and a shop I was in produced this for my payment on their phone! I know it sounds silly but it's the only thing that's holding me back. SS

I am seriously considering getting this for my business, I have read all the threads but my main concern is that clients won't trust this option.
I'm not sure how I would feel if I knew nothing about it and a shop I was in produced this for my payment on their phone! I know it sounds silly but it's the only thing that's holding me back. SS

That's what's holding me back too. I've been asking my regular clients how they'd feel and they all said although they trust me they wouldn't feel safe using a card reader plugged into a mobile phone. More research needed I think.

That's what's holding me back too. I've been asking my regular clients how they'd feel and they all said although they trust me they wouldn't feel safe using a card reader plugged into a mobile phone. More research needed I think.

I'm glad I mentioned this as I've been fretting over it thinking I might be over analysing it! But truth be told would I put my pin number in a machine that was attached to someone iPhone.......the straight and gut reaction is NO. And I know I would come out the shop and say to friends and family do you know what I've just been asked to do and they would all say I've never heard of that, because I have Never been in a shop asked to pay by this method.
It's not that I don't love the idea because I do, I just don't think the marketing and publicity has been done enough for my clients to trust it. I wish it was at that stage as I don't want to pay the rental for a traditional unit. SS

Actually clients love it!
They think its amazing that we can take card payments anywhere at no inconvenience to them. No longer do they have to go looking for the nearest cashpoint in the rain and then having to return back to the salon.
Not one of my clients, new and old, have rejected it or even looked worried. Every single one has said, wow that's brilliant!
I've used it many times. When it's a Visa payment I just input my own number in and then their card details with them watching. No problem.

The more you use it the more people trust it. The more people see it the more they are used to it.
It's like anything new, it takes time for people to understand it, use it, and like it.
Remember when you first got your phone, you didn't know how to do things and you weren't sure if something had worked. Well it did didn't it, you quickly got used to using it and now you can't live without it.
These gadgets are now being used all over the world. It's been used in other countries for years. If it wasn't any good then it wouldn't still be around.

Thanks for your reply NailExpress. I've just looked into it further and found that you get a £50 discount off the card reader with iZettle if you are with Santander. That has made me decided to go for it as I'm only investing £40.

You are right about the more people see it the more it will be accepted. It is just new technology. I learnt how to print from my phone last night so I can do paper receipts if needed. All very clever!

I'll report back when I'm set up and running.

Can someone tell me how long it takes for your payment to get into your bank account? It's just I am thinking about this as I do get fed up waiting for cheques to take 5 days to clear, but if it takes 5 days to reach your account with kettle and cost 2.75% I may as well stick with cheques!

The izettle looks great, I just have the following questions,

1, Can you take payments over the phone?

2, Can people pay a deposit for treatments in advance maybe pay through your website or do they have to be present to add their pin?

Many thanks

Can someone tell me how long it takes for your payment to get into your bank account? It's just I am thinking about this as I do get fed up waiting for cheques to take 5 days to clear, but if it takes 5 days to reach your account with kettle and cost 2.75% I may as well stick with cheques!

It's ok, I missed page 1 hehe, 10days! No point will stick with my bacs transfer, cheques and cash!

The izettle looks great, I just have the following questions,

1, Can you take payments over the phone?

2, Can people pay a deposit for treatments in advance maybe pay through your website or do they have to be present to add their pin?

Many thanks

If you have the Pin machine type of reader, then you need the client there to input their pin number.

If you have the non pin machine, (the first one they brought out) then you can take a payment over the phone. You just input the information. Ask for card type, ie visa etc. Ask for card number, ask for expiry date and 3 digit number on the back. Hey presto! your done. The screen also tells you as you are going along where its at, ie inputting the card number, receiving transaction, transaction complete. You can even send a receipt to the client by inputting their email address as well.

As for the client paying a deposit, you would have to do it over the phone again.

Thank you, that's very helpful x

Hi with I zettle, do you pay the transaction fee or do you add it to the customers bill ? X

Latest posts

Back