Is anyone doing a course with home-learn.co.uk?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi,
i tried this but ended up having to go to college, dont know about you but im a visual learner and my tutor stay with me until i got it right,but if they send you dvds you may be ok.
can you not go to say nsi or creative for a short course it takes a couple of days to do a course and you can go say on monday when salons are usually close,
good luck
mandy

well the thing is i havent got the money to travel alot really and i go to college 3 days a week and usually the courses fall on the days where im at college lol

I hope this information helps you......I signed up and paid for this course as it also sounded very good for me....Im about half way through now and only completing it as Iv paid for it......it is a recognised certificate but you will not be able to obtain insurance through it....you have to have some sort of practical training with a certficate in order to get insurance.....I ended up paying out for a seperate manicure & pedicure course and then an acrylics course....by the time I had paid out for all this I could have afforded one of the creative courses!

wow after reading this thread im not so sure now! iv just started my home learn uk course :(

I started with home learn uk a few years ago when I never knew nor bothered to find out about my options or what the nail industry really involved. The course is honestly not enough you have to practically rewrite each chapter in the complete nail technician book which there is now an updated version of , they do not provide anything other than a tiny kit that is not sufficient for a full nail technician course. Also you are required to purchase everything yourself to actually complete the course such as heated mitts and booties etc, which to me are not essential as these are added to a mani or pedi to enhance the client experience and help the products absorb better. I got no feedback on my work other than distinction... Well done, for a written paper id be aswell photocopying out the book.

Since then I have completed courses with essential nails which is much better in terms of home learn, essential nails has taught me the basics and made my college course so much easier as I am now doing my NVQ which essential nails has prepared me for. If you must do a home learn id reccommend essential nails as it is the best choice home learn wise. Use it as a base to begin your career but you will still need practical training particularly to work within a salon etc. By the time you pay for all of that you will have been cheaper saving up for a practical
course in the first place. I think the problem lies where people believe nails is easy to get into and a good way of earning money and it is that ignorance which makes most people choose a cheaper option thinking its all the same. It honestly isnt, I was one of those ignorant people a few years ago and very quickly opened up my eyes to the real nail industry. Needless to say I never conpleted home learn uk, I can read the book and without paying £300-£400 for it as this is all in involves.

I trained with home learn uk, the course was ok but nothing special, wasnt very detailed and just gave basics. Every piece of evidence had to be signed off and checked by tutor.

I then found that i could not get insured so did ezflow course in acrylics and did night school at local college for nvq levels 1,2 and 3 in nail tech which has set me up for life (well until their is an update on courses)

I nver buy anything off ebay as you dont know if they are genuine so i buy from sallys or direct from suppliers.

I started with home learn uk a few years ago when I never knew nor bothered to find out about my options or what the nail industry really involved. The course is honestly not enough you have to practically rewrite each chapter in the complete nail technician book which there is now an updated version of , they do not provide anything other than a tiny kit that is not sufficient for a full nail technician course. Also you are required to purchase everything yourself to actually complete the course such as heated mitts and booties etc, which to me are not essential as these are added to a mani or pedi to enhance the client experience and help the products absorb better. I got no feedback on my work other than distinction... Well done, for a written paper id be aswell photocopying out the book.

Since then I have completed courses with essential nails which is much better in terms of home learn, essential nails has taught me the basics and made my college course so much easier as I am now doing my NVQ which essential nails has prepared me for. If you must do a home learn id reccommend essential nails as it is the best choice home learn wise. Use it as a base to begin your career but you will still need practical training particularly to work within a salon etc. By the time you pay for all of that you will have been cheaper saving up for a practical
course in the first place. I think the problem lies where people believe nails is easy to get into and a good way of earning money and it is that ignorance which makes most people choose a cheaper option thinking its all the same. It honestly isnt, I was one of those ignorant people a few years ago and very quickly opened up my eyes to the real nail industry. Needless to say I never conpleted home learn uk, I can read the book and without paying £300-£400 for it as this is all in involves.

totally agree! i didn't realize any of this when i ordered the course, didn't do enough research into it! But I have payed and going to carry on to get my moneys worth. If i have to do courses later on then so be it but for now, I shall stick with home learn uk

wow after reading this thread im not so sure now! iv just started my home learn uk course :(

Im part way through my course with Home-learn UK, well i've just got to the gel nails part. They are recognised by the insurance industry and are a proper college, you can even get an NUS student card from them. I am finding the course really good and very thorough. Obviously the best situation would be in a classroom environment having someone constantly correcting your mistakes etc but I have a 2 year old daughter and have to work, the last thing I want to do when I finish work is to leave her to go to college, so this course is perfect for me as I can do it in the evenings when my daughter is in bed.

The ideal situation for everyone is to have the time and money to go to college etc or do the expensive courses but unfortunately not everyone can afford the time or money. But at least by doing a home learning course, although not ideal, i'm actually trying to make a career for myself.

Hey If you want to be friends and support each other through the course add me :) xxx

Im part way through my course with Home-learn UK, well i've just got to the gel nails part. They are recognised by the insurance industry and are a proper college, you can even get an NUS student card from them. I am finding the course really good and very thorough. Obviously the best situation would be in a classroom environment having someone constantly correcting your mistakes etc but I have a 2 year old daughter and have to work, the last thing I want to do when I finish work is to leave her to go to college, so this course is perfect for me as I can do it in the evenings when my daughter is in bed.

The ideal situation for everyone is to have the time and money to go to college etc or do the expensive courses but unfortunately not everyone can afford the time or money. But at least by doing a home learning course, although not ideal, i'm actually trying to make a career for myself.

Hey If you want to be friends and support each other through the course add me :) xxx

Hey! I've added you! Iv ordered my NUS card, just waiting for it to be delivered :) And that's what Im trying to do, iv done nothing for a good few years now since iv left school and iv finally decided this is the industry I want to get into.. I'm looking at other courses for when I finish my home learn.. Just got a bit of saving to do, actually ALOT of saving :( but it will be worth it in the long run xxx

Hi!! Ive been reading the threads on the Home-Learn UK with great interest as I am currently doing their Level 2 Nail Tech Course. I have to say the bad feedback has got me slightly worried. I have children and work part time, and home learning seemed the most practical way of obtaining a new qualification. Im almost half way though now and have paid for it. Have you (or anyone) completed the course through Home-Learn UK yet and successfully working as a mobile nail technician? :cry:

I completed my HomeLearn course the other year, and also reading this thread I'm a bit omg !
I've found a cheap insurance that will cover me by reading other threads on here. Found the course pretty okay, as I did a taster day when I was in college on acrylic nails. So already knew the basis.
Also I am about/just starting my own business in a local hairdresser's, this is just part time work for now. But will hopefully led to a successfull career.

Was your course through Home-Learn UK? As I've paid for Level 2 I'll obviously see it through, but I'm debating as to whether to continue on and pay for Level 3. I'd really like to undertake the Nail Tech Qualification via a part time college course but as I'm hoping to start a part time college course in september in Hairdressing I just wouldn't be able to cope with both (as well as a part time job and 2 children)!! This is why a home study course is great as there are no deadlines, however having read the threads on this particular company I'm really confused (and I have to say very worried)!! Most of the threads however were a good few years ago so maybe they've improved since then ??!!?? In hindsight I really should have researched it a bit more but as a complete beginner I just didnt know what to look for, and besides which I really didn't think that a company which has been trading for a good number of years would not be that credible. Help!! I just don't know what to do now.....

Andrea....who did you get your insurance through if you don't mind me asking. I'm in the same boat with Stockbridge college and worried I won't get insured as there was no practical element with the course.

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek

well my course is only 3 days...wed which is 1.30-4, thur 10-3.30, fri 9-3.30.... so really ive got the two days which i am not @ college plus i do not have a job and ive got the weekend also so personally i think i have enough time to practice and get it right and in my previous post ive said im a fast learner and motivated which obv if i wernt that type of person i wouldnt bother wasting my time looking at home courses to get a career i wish to do....thanks for your reply though but in my eyes i have enough time to get where i want to be in life :)

Hi @pretty-in-pink, it sounds to me as if you have already made up your mind so if we advise for you to wait, you probably wont. I dont mean to sound harsh, but I was asking much the same thing last year and made my mind up, went against the good advice I was given on here and have since regretted spending my money on a course rushing in to a course which was not adequate for my requirements and have since had to spend even more time and money to try to improve my skills.
First you say you are at college for hair and wont have time for a course in nails, then you say you only do three days, dont work and have weekends. LOL. You do sound very keen so good luck and I hope that the course is all you wish it to be, I agree with the other geeks though that you would be better off with a local educator.

Lana-Jayne, I have only looked and got quotes from insurances at the moment. As I'm still waiting for some replies, but the cheapest one i found was with Salon Gold, its around £40, which has been mentioned on another thread before.
Hope this helps and if you find a cheaper one go for it :). x

who did you get insurance with please ?

DID YOU MANAGE TO GET INSURANCE IN THE END ?

Latest posts

Back