Is anyone doing a course with home-learn.co.uk?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You really need training in each and every different system. There are many suppliers of gel and all gels differ in their application and lamps. Without the correct training you will almost certainly have problems with your application and the quality of the nails. HTH

so where would you reccommend that i buy lets say... a gel nail kit from?

because i want to do the best possible but ive got to think about cost but ill take your advice and not buy anthing from ebay when it comes to doing the course
You really need training in each and every different system. There are many suppliers of gel and all gels differ in their application and lamps. Without the correct training you will almost certainly have problems with your application and the quality of the nails. HTH

I did a home learn course because I live in a relatively remote area and there was nothing else available. I passed the course but spent many a frustrating evening trying to puzzle out what was going wrong. Text books and DVD only show you the correct way to do things, they don't tell you where you are going wrong or how many things can go wrong. It required many hours of dedication to practice, some nights I fell asleep at my nail table. Even though help is supposedly only an email or phone call away nothing can replace being shown what to do.
My only salvation was this website and the wonderfully helpful people on it.
One major thing that is lacking from a home learn course is confidence. I sadly lack in this area still. It would have been awesome to have a teacher peer over my shoulder and say, 'that is good' or 'let me show you where you are going wrong.'
I used this training as only a basis for my ongoing training and to get a foothold only and when possible have gone on to any classroom training available.
Please do not take any course that is available because it is the cheapest option. Doing nails is definitely not about being cheap. Save up your money and pay for quality training. Always buy quality products from an official supplier. If you have any problems they are there to back you and to support you when you need help.
The old saying is 'you get what you pay for' so if you buy cheap products from ebay you will produce cheap nails. And I don't know how many people would pay you to do their nails if they knew you were using products that may be fake or out of date.
Give it a lot of thought before you make a decision

but i do have people to turn to if i need that help...but id rather do a home learning course for the time being and then once ive done that i can always go in to classroom training also...

the only other option for me is sallys nail technician training course its in my area and its... babtac,guild of professional beauty therapists,ANT,INA

are these any good?

and with the kit included its going to be £420

and its a 5 day couse and then you go back for assessment in 6-8 weeks so you have time to practice what you've learnt

the only other option for me is sallys nail technician training course its in my area and its... babtac,guild of professional beauty therapists,ANT,INA

are these any good?

and with the kit included its going to be £420

and its a 5 day couse and then you go back for assessment in 6-8 weeks so you have time to practice what you've learnt

Not much less than a foundation course with CND Ezflow ,that's the point i was originally making,it will cost you more in the long run. If you are serious take the advise you have been given,and wait if necessary

so where would you reccommend that i buy lets say... a gel nail kit from?

because i want to do the best possible but ive got to think about cost but ill take your advice and not buy anthing from ebay when it comes to doing the course

Once you have a certificate you buy at trade prices from Sallys, so you could buy a gel kit from there but bear in mind you wont have had any training in how to use it....... Definitely better than buying from Ebay though!

not being negative here hun but just wondered if u knew that even though u can get guild insurance for the nail course its only after u have paid to do a few days practical training after your initial course . I looked into doing this course and the beauty one but phoned up and they said yes u can get guild insurance but only after doing some practical training , That was last year tho hun so things mite have changed but just wanted to warn you , Also i think you would be better off savong the extra £200 or so and spend it on t he cnd course or similar as it covers practical and its a reputable company . hope u enjoy which ever course u choose tho hun good luck

I know you seem set on doing the homelearn course and then maybe go on to do further training. As I have already said on an earlier post, you may not be able to do a conversion course after completing a homelearn course, this is definately the case with Creative.

So ok you end up doing further training after a homelearn, chances are it'll be back to square one at your local college doing a VTCT or NVQ so that you can do conversion courses with a reputable company like Creative, NSI, Ezflow etc. As already mentioned I would suggest, save your money until you can afford to go with one of the more reputable companies.

Finally, ask yourself why are so many people on here are suggesting you save up and wait to train with a more reputable company. Ok you may learn quick, nail enhancements is a skill, those who have been in the industry for years will admit to still learning, its not a skill that can be learned quickly.

hey everyone!

well i told the guilds what im expected to do in the course as evidence and they said that it were fine and they can cover me so im jus putting across what they said.....i really dont know what to do for the best :confused: think ill just wait for the time being

right i need your help people!!!!

ive phoned the home learn uk course up its a college of home learning...i can get insured which i already know, i need portfolio evidence,photo evidence before and after and consultation forms BUT....they said they arent recognised by habia or anything but ill get a level 3 diploma

i dont know wether this sounds any good

im abit wary of how its sounding

mayb ill just save up and go with EN

right i need your help people!!!!

ive phoned the home learn uk course up its a college of home learning...i can get insured which i already know, i need portfolio evidence,photo evidence before and after and consultation forms BUT....they said they arent recognised by habia or anything but ill get a level 3 diploma

i dont know wether this sounds any good

im abit wary of how its sounding

mayb ill just save up and go with EN
im not really sure about this hun by the sounds of things they are just giving u there own certificate which to be honest mite be nvq 2 3 equivilent to them but no salon etc would see it like that and u may as well do another course , In my opinion its not really worth the paper its written on and u would def need to pay out for another course .im sure u will agree after that its worth the wait to save up for a hands on course and with cnd etc u cant go wrong . im really not putting a downer on it hun but when i got sent a prospectus for this company they did mention the practical days adn that u had to go to portsmouth for it or devon . Also u had to pay another few hundred pounds for this not to mention accomodation . i really think u would be better off putting this money towards another course , are there not any evening college course near u offering nvq, vtct courses etc . mine does one once a year and its only about £200 for 22 weeks training . (not including kits ) .

college will be doing another course next year....im not going to go with the home learn uk company they seem really dodgy! lol
something just doesnt sound right with them!
now at least if i went through EN i could get insured by the guilds still,get a diploma plus they are recognised by habia & so on think ill just save up and do a professional acrylic and maintance diploma course it'll cost £480 something but thats with both kits included and everything else which works out cheaper than the other company.....all you people who said i didnt take any notice of the posts guess you were wrong because ive done my homework and phoned the home learn uk company up and checked what was available through the course and also i done my calculations on how much the kits would be to buy when i need them and the total price witout the airbrush kit included is £508
and i did take all your advice on board

college will be doing another course next year....im not going to go with the home learn uk company they seem really dodgy! lol
something just doesnt sound right with them!
now at least if i went through EN i could get insured by the guilds still,get a diploma plus they are recognised by habia & so on think ill just save up and do a professional acrylic and maintance diploma course it'll cost £480 something but thats with both kits included and everything else which works out cheaper than the other company.....all you people who said i didnt take any notice of the posts guess you were wrong because ive done my homework and phoned the home learn uk company up and checked what was available through the course and also i done my calculations on how much the kits would be to buy when i need them and the total price witout the airbrush kit included is £508
and i did take all your advice on board

Very wise by the sound of it! It's not that I was criticising you, I just didn't want to see you ripped off - it happens to too many people who don't find out til afterwards.......

Good luck with your training

i know you wernt but i was listening to everyones advice and comments and i did my research and it just doesnt sound right to me the man even tried selling me the course on the phone i had to tell him 3 times i were only enquiring not buying....im deffo going to go with EN though at least its recognised and can get decent insurance and its got a good reputation im going to see about the professional acrylic and maintance diploma course which comes to about £480 which is saving me loads of money....just glad i actually did my research instead of going straight for it and losing out on loads of money and not even being recognised for the course!!!

thank you all again :) :hug:

well you could do a home learn course-spend a few hundred on that-pass-become insured etc etc
but then u will b left with a load of not so good products, so u will want to try others...as everyone does
now there are only a few really outstanding nail companies out there-and none of them let u buy their products without training with them 1st-so eventually u will have to pay out more anyway
if u really really wanna do this for the rest of your life then whats the big rush?...and a few hundred extra is not alot when u consider the ammount u stand to gain by having the right tutor
I admire your determination tho-i too was like you once-i trained with EN and although i am qualified-i'm nowhere near as confident as i would've been if i'd had an actual real life person to teach and guide me-rather than an annoying person on a dvd with a really annoying voice!Lol
Hope u enjoy whatever u decide to do :)

well you could do a home learn course-spend a few hundred on that-pass-become insured etc etc
but then u will b left with a load of not so good products, so u will want to try others...as everyone does
now there are only a few really outstanding nail companies out there-and none of them let u buy their products without training with them 1st-so eventually u will have to pay out more anyway
if u really really wanna do this for the rest of your life then whats the big rush?...and a few hundred extra is not alot when u consider the ammount u stand to gain by having the right tutor
I admire your determination tho-i too was like you once-i trained with EN and although i am qualified-i'm nowhere near as confident as i would've been if i'd had an actual real life person to teach and guide me-rather than an annoying person on a dvd with a really annoying voice!Lol
Hope u enjoy whatever u decide to do :)
It depends on the person how confident you are in your training, if you dont feel that confident then yes get more training...I trained with EN and I am very confident in my work, I have no complaints from the clients I have, in fact I am now doing another course with them.
As far as buying other products I now use NSI and Le Chat.. I havent trained with these companies but I will be doing a conversion course with them soon. More for the back up you get than anything else, but I have had no problem buying there product or others tbh..except CND as they only sell to CND trained tech's. which is fair enough.
I hope you enjoy your course as much as I and plenty of others have hun, if you ever need help give us a shout..xx

It depends on the person how confident you are in your training, if you dont feel that confident then yes get more training...I trained with EN and I am very confident in my work, I have no complaints from the clients I have.

I agree with Suze, i'm sure many nail technician have failed even on tutor based courses, it all depends how strongly you want something.

I have gone on to do a conversion with Entity in acrylic and after seeing the Entity gel at Gmex hoping to do the gel conversion.

Maybe not all companies recognise en, but an awful lot do.
Good luck in whatever you choose:hug:..xx

thank god you havent gone for the stonebridge college !! i agree they r well pushy they wer like that to me . so glad i never did the course! good luck with whatever u decide to do !!!!!!!xx

hiya
i was working at a salon last year where I started a home-learn uk beauty course as the college one was fully booked and i worked full time as hairdresser. I decided i could do it this way as the senior therapist would help me through with all the practical, plus i had been on a few week long courses as well. Now, this was ok but not perfect for L1 and L2, as i had done a lot of practical courses in these areas and the therapist ensured i was doing everything correctly, although i did not feel 100% happy that my work wasnt being checked by more than one person.
So when it came to L3 i decided there was NO WAY i could do this in a salon with no college lessons and i asked home learn uk if i could have a refund of the amount of the L3 course. they refused and also said they couldnt send my certificate for L1 and 2 as it is a combined cert for all 3. after months of hounding them i finally got a certificate but no refund. and can i say the cert is on a flimsy piece of paper, not worth the money i paid.
So in my opnion as much as it is the easy and convienent option, dont go for a home course
x

Latest posts

Back