Is anyone doing a course with home-learn.co.uk?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretty-in-pink

Reaction score
hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has had any training from Home Learn UK - Study and Tuition Learning at Home from Home Learn UK I would like to do a level 3 nail technician home learning course which the link is Nail Technician Level 3 - Home Learn UK - Study and Tuition Learning

I was wondering whether the course is as good as it makes out to be and would prefer doing a home learning course as I'm a full time hairdressing student at college if anyone could give any info I would be very grateful, thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This will be a good thread to have a read of - the only home learn course I ever attempted was in book keeping and I couldn't do it. I was constantly on emails and telephone to the tutor and would have preferred to train at a 'live' class iykwim Suffice to say - I quit my course :irked:

hth http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/80071-home-learn-course.html

Hi there:)
I DO like the idea of online education (actually my husband does his math degree and I go through it with him together...),it could be very handy for some of people... you can learn accountancy,math,literature....whatever...BUT!!!! I DO NOT undestand how can you possibly learn to do manicure or pedicure by internet........this is something you have to see how to do(we are involved with sharp objects!!!!)... isn't it better to take a proper course?????... but it is just my opinion...good luck!
P.S: russian speaking geek- sorry for mistakes!

its just that itd be better for me to do a home learning course as im doing a full time level 2 hairdressing course @ college and i cannot have time off college to go and do a course which would take how many days...plus ive got to think of the money situation gettin from where i live to different areas the course does sound good though and they have been really quick with responds to my questions and answered them fully...every1 is on about essential nails i have actually emailed them about there courses wether they do a full technician course rather than doing them all individual but i think its a bit too expensive just for 1 course as which this other home learn website i can do a full level 3 technician course including acrylics,nail art,airbrushing etc and itz an level 3 diploma and an equivelent to an NVQ and its certified and recognised so the company said just confused on which route to take though.

thankyou for your help and your opinions :)

Just ensure it is recognised as some say they are but getting insurance is a different matter, or some you have to do x, number of days to get a practical certificate at extra cost. Could you not do a creative course of similar in the holidays half term or Easter would be good to get x days in.

You also have remember that trainer hands don't say ouch, I had a set to with another student last week who filled my finger tip and nail bed as her technique was so bad and she would not accept she was doing it wrong as she had seen a DVD on it, when I couldn't type with that finger for 3 days I knew she was wrong.

itz an level 3 diploma and an equivelent to an NVQ and its certified and recognised so the company said

I think you'll find when you come to get a job that it is not the equivalent to NVQ!

Personlly, nails is best learnt in a classroom with an educator. It's a hands on skill that needs to be taught in a hands on environment. If you cannot commit to a classroom based course now then wait, save your money and do it when you have the time and the funds.

JMHO,

I paid for a home learn course for L&P nails about 3 years ago, but when I found out that its hard to get insurance, it might not be recognized by future employers and that I wouldnt be able to do a conversion course I lost faith. So I waited a year went to my local college did Nail Technology Level 2 at night school, passed the course and recently I passed my Creative Conversion course.

btw I still hav'nt finished the home learn course, whats the point, I just put it down to one of them things and wished I had done my home work before wasting my money. hth :)

Hi there I did a course with Essential Nails and initially I struggled but in the end I got the hang of it.As geeg says practice, practice and more practice. Also bare in mind that people learn differently, some people can go it alone whilst others prefer to do it with a group of people, good luck in your studying :)

Hi hun,
I did a home study course passed and got my certificate. What I wasnt told was that I could not get insurance until I had taken their two day practical course which by the time I got to Portsmouth and paid accomodation etc would be £400 on top of my initial course fees :eek:. After several complaints I was given an easier route to follow but triple check that you can get insurance after you have quaified with no hidden course fees.

xx

Hi there I did a course with Essential Nails and initially I struggled but in the end I got the hang of it.As geeg says practice, practice and more practice. Also bare in mind that people learn differently, some people can go it alone whilst others prefer to do it with a group of people, good luck in your studying :)

I personally find that with home learn courses, you would not have someone standing over you correcting your mistakes as you make them. If, when you do make an error, you will have to wait for your work to be assessed before you can be corrected. As some time would have passed, this means that you would be continuing to make the same errors until corrected.

For what it costs, I personally do think your money would be better spent on a reputable course with on hand support and garanteed ability to be insured and recognized.

Geeg's signature does say 'Practise does NOT make perfect ... PERFECT PRACTISE makes perfect!!'

It is always a good start hun.Just remember the work will carry on afterwards and good luck to you if you do it x

hey all thanks for the replys and all the help! im not quite sure on what to do now the course does sound really good but can i trust what they are saying? hmm *long hard think* the only other option is a sallys training course for a nail technician thats 6 days but £420 but ive been told they arnt that great and it really would be better for me as i said before and also i am a well motivated and fast learning person

I'm sure a few people on here have said Sally's ain't recognised for insurance best thing to do is take the name of the course and the certificate and phone up some insurance companies and see if you can get insurance just as you would phone up for quotes before swapping cars, also phone a few salons and see if they would employ you with the certificate, this way you will know if you are wasting your money.

now dont take this the wrong way, but....

if you are on a full time hairdressing course, i would seriously doubt you'd be able to take on a nail course at the minute.
you will find that it takes many many hours of practice to be able to turn out a good set of nails and i just dont think you could find enough time to do that if you are already studying hair.

the nail course may be a short one, but you will still be a good way off producing salon quality nails for quite some time afterwards.

imo you would be better finishing your hairdressing qualification and then going on to nails afterwards so that you can give it your full attention.

well my course is only 3 days...wed which is 1.30-4, thur 10-3.30, fri 9-3.30.... so really ive got the two days which i am not @ college plus i do not have a job and ive got the weekend also so personally i think i have enough time to practice and get it right and in my previous post ive said im a fast learner and motivated which obv if i wernt that type of person i wouldnt bother wasting my time looking at home courses to get a career i wish to do....thanks for your reply though but in my eyes i have enough time to get where i want to be in life :)

sorry, i didnt mean to offend.
just concerned that you might end up overloaded because you had not realised how much you would have to put into it.

i wish you luck, you sound very determined.

I hope whatever you decide to do works out for you in the end but I really don't like to see 'buy cheap buy twice' - whether that be for pieces of furniture or the likes of education. I know the Sally's course ain't cheap but I'd do my research on them first. Use the search facility on this site, I made my decision to do the Creative course primarily through the outstanding ratings given to Creative and Sweetsquared on this site and I'm doing mine at the beginning of next month. Good Luck hun with whichever route you take...keep us updated though :hug:

hey....sorry if that sounded abit harsh it wasnt meant to come over that way its just my opinion and you never offended me at all :) im very determind i just want to do a full nail tech course and do the best possible and get somewhere in life but its abit hard when you've only got so much to spend on a course....thanks once again angie t for replying i think before i decide for certain im going to do abit more homework on what each home learning course provides how much they are if i could get insured and if they are recognised and gain an certificate im really grateful for all the replies ive had so far you all have made me think real deep about what i should ask the companies which supply the courses

hey....sorry if that sounded abit harsh it wasnt meant to come over that way its just my opinion and you never offended me at all :) im very determind i just want to do a full nail tech course and do the best possible and get somewhere in life but its abit hard when you've only got so much to spend on a course....thanks once again angie t for replying i think before i decide for certain im going to do abit more homework on what each home learning course provides how much they are if i could get insured and if they are recognised and gain an certificate im really grateful for all the replies ive had so far you all have made me think real deep about what i should ask the companies which supply the courses

Good girl :hug: You've really got your head screwed on with this and I can feel your determination. I'm sure you'll do well whichever route you take :)

once again thank you!!!!!!!!! :hug: can i add you to my friends list please?

Latest posts

Back