Is anyone doing a course with home-learn.co.uk?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what ever you do, i wish you well, you sound very determined to succeed! :hug:

thank you very much for your support swanner :hug:

You sound very determined to do a home-learn course, as if you are just looking for replies that say 'do it'. However, there are very good reasons why most successful nail techs have gone the route of classroom training - quite a lot after having done a home-learn course.

Imagine if your full-time hair course was from a dvd with no tutor involved at all...... Would you feel confident to apply for a salon job? Or launch a self-employed business? What makes nails so different? Nails is not an easy skill, it takes time and determination to get it right even when an educator is watching your every move.

I don't wish to sound negative but please do not dismiss the advice in this thread which says what you don't want to hear...... There have been many many training mistakes made by people on this site, please learn from them rather than making the same mistakes yourself.

I agree with Vetty

Classroom training of the best kind isn't like a college course. A foundation course take place on around 5 days with breaks in between to allow you to study and practise. This WILL work out cheaper in the long run if you are serious about becoming a professional nail technician as you would go on to do conversion courses anyway.They do include full working kit and exellent education along with continued support from your educator and product distributor.

I do "get" the convienence of home learn courses but they just don't make financial sense,they are an expensive "taster" of the industry IMO for the reasons above,before commiting do a search on here on training hun,you'll find invaluable info to help make an informed career choice. Best of luck

hey...thank you for your advice im deffo taking all these comments on board i still havent made a decision and im deffo doing the homework on these companies i agree classroom training would be best practical wise which mayb thats the route ill take the only nearest training centre to me is sallys which do provide a nail technician course which runs for 6 days and you do your assessment in 6-8 weeks after im really interested in this course but can anyone tell me if these are well known.....babtac,guild of professional beauty therapists,ant,ina????

yep ive looked at cnd,nsi,opi and so many others they really are just too expensive for me :sad:

well if home learn is the best option for you then you go for it, theres alot of successful nail techs out there including myself who have studdied from home its not for everyone but it worked for me, as long as you practise enough and dont rush it im sure you will do great,
follow your heart and you do what you feels right, i would love to no how you get on and find out what this home learn course is like if you do decide to do it.
:hug:

hey thanks lil_miss_me... you've been so helpful and supportive towards this subject i think i might just go for a home learn course not sure which one as of yet its something im going to have to do more research on and see wether its recognised by decent insurers and so on!

ive heard people say they have done a home learn course and got further than people who have actually done in classroom training so home courses cannot be that bad in my opinion fair enough some may not be genuine but thats why you've got to research! once again thankyou :)

hey everyone i think im goin to go with the home learn uk course it seems good enough and offer what i want to do...fair enough you only get the acrylic kit in with the price and have to buy the other kits as nd when you need to but what else can you expect for £269 which is a very good price!

ive phoned up the guilds today and they can insure me for this course which is good as they are well known so i can get insured for deffo!

really excited now just need to get the rest of the money so i can proceed with the course if i deffo decide 2 do it not fully 100% as of yet....i would like to say thank you all for giving me advice and your opinions you all have been a great help and your all wonderful people!!! hope to speak to you all again :)

hey good luck with the course chick :) glad you have decided what you want to do hope it all work out for you.
let me no how you get on x

Bianca :hug:

hey thanks hun!!! :hug:

well at least i deffo know i can get insured by a decent company that was the main problem i was worried about but hey now i know its all gravy lol!!

ive been lookin on ebay aswell at different kits so when i come to do the course i know that i can buy the kits as and when i need them :)

hey thanks hun!!! :hug:

well at least i deffo know i can get insured by a decent company that was the main problem i was worried about but hey now i know its all gravy lol!!

ive been lookin on ebay aswell at different kits so when i come to do the course i know that i can buy the kits as and when i need them :)

Have you read this thread http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/81348-ebay.html? Do you seriously think the way to build a nail business is to learn from a dvd, practice on a few mates and then buy further kits from Ebay? Do you honestly think you can build a reputable business this way? Do you truely think 'doing nails' is that easy?

You have consistently ignored all advise unless it says what you want to hear, but I will offer you this anyway. Learn your skills face to face with a reputable company. Get access (through that company) to an authorisd supplier and buy from them.

If you home learn (self teach) and buy from Ebay you will be uninsured, unethical and unprofessional. But hey, it's up to you.

no i havent ignored any advice and opinions given at all and i dont know how you can say i have just because ive decided im going to do a home course...and if you read i can get insured by the GUILDS!

and i havent been confirmed that by a crappy email i spoke to them on the phone and told them about the course and what it will involve doing and they said thats fine and they will cover me!

just because i think this will be the best method for me doesnt mean its for every one and sorry if you take this offensive im not meant to come across like that its my opinion just like every 1 else has theirs

fair enough im goin to be trained by dvd and whatever else doesnt mean im going to be completely useless does it as ive said im a fast learner and i do have people to help me and tell me where im going wrong and ill be practicing on family and friends also

like i said im sorry if i come over offensive but different people have different ways of learning and got to do what suits them best and for there life style i can always go and train in a classroom after

Have you read this thread http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/81348-ebay.html? Do you seriously think the way to build a nail business is to learn from a dvd, practice on a few mates and then buy further kits from Ebay? Do you honestly think you can build a reputable business this way? Do you truely think 'doing nails' is that easy?

You have consistently ignored all advise unless it says what you want to hear, but I will offer you this anyway. Learn your skills face to face with a reputable company. Get access (through that company) to an authorisd supplier and buy from them.

If you home learn (self teach) and buy from Ebay you will be uninsured, unethical and unprofessional
. But hey, it's up to you.

I couldn't agree more.

You have decided to take the home learn course and it's definately a start for you into the industry. I am sure that you will find later on that you will actually need some additional training, which you will be able to access, although not all of the branded training suppliers recognise home learn qualifications.

You sound very determined to succeed and I'm sure you will recognise the need for face to face training as you progress through your course.

Good luck with everything and yes it is wise to steer clear of Ebay for buying your kits. There are cheaper, middle of the road brands available through the proper suppliers for products to use whilst you are training.

well everyones entilted to there own opinion in my case but i havent ignored any info given and advice else why would i of changed my mind and wernt sure and i still arent 100% sure just because i said i think i might do it doesnt mean im deffo just gonna go rush and do it...just think itll be the best for me at the moment thats all!

no i havent ignored any advice and opinions given at all and i dont know how you can say i have just because ive decided im going to do a home course...and if you read i can get insured by the GUILDS!

and i havent been confirmed that by a crappy email i spoke to them on the phone and told them about the course and what it will involve doing and they said thats fine and they will cover me!

Buy products from Ebay and your insurance will be invalid - you will be uninsured........ If an insurance claim were ever to be submitted against you The Guild will expect you to have bought from an authorised distributor.

so where would you reccommend that i buy lets say... a gel nail kit from?

because i want to do the best possible but ive got to think about cost but ill take your advice and not buy anthing from ebay when it comes to doing the course

You have decided to take the home learn course and it's definately a start for you into the industry. I am sure that you will find later on that you will actually need some additional training, which you will be able to access, although not all of the branded training suppliers recognise home learn qualifications.

You sound very determined to succeed and I'm sure you will recognise the need for face to face training as you progress through your course.

Good luck with everything and yes it is wise to steer clear of Ebay for buying your kits. There are cheaper, middle of the road brands available through the proper suppliers for products to use whilst you are training.

I think this was a much better way of explaining things, rather then being completely negative. :Grope:

Latest posts

Back