Is anyone finding holidays have gone up massively this year?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
Been trawling through a few websites and am reeling at the price of 2 weeks in Majorca or SPain in the summer hols. For a 2/3* hotel half board it seems we are looking at £3,500 - 4,000!! wtf??

A friend of mine went 2 years ago and the exact same hotel on the same dates is now over £5000 and I know for a fact she paid £2500.

What is going on?

The other thing I'm finding is that, whereas going with Thomson or First Choice used to be the dearer way of doing it, now I'm finding that if I look up the hotel first then the flights, its barely any different and in some cases its more expensive to do separately!

yes as you will have guessed I'm having a quieter week lol

Been trawling through a few websites and am reeling at the price of 2 weeks in Majorca or SPain in the summer hols. For a 2/3* hotel half board it seems we are looking at £3,500 - 4,000!! wtf??

A friend of mine went 2 years ago and the exact same hotel on the same dates is now over £5000 and I know for a fact she paid £2500.

What is going on?

The other thing I'm finding is that, whereas going with Thomson or First Choice used to be the dearer way of doing it, now I'm finding that if I look up the hotel first then the flights, its barely any different and in some cases its more expensive to do separately!

yes as you will have guessed I'm having a quieter week lol

Are you looking in school summer hols? this is where it doubles, go a week after and it's half price. Robbers!

Are you looking in school summer hols? this is where it doubles, go a week after and it's half price. Robbers!

Yes we are, and yes they are lol

One daughter doing GCSE's another doing A levels so september right out, but would be nice apart from that. They rob you rotten, as my nan used to say :)

But we've been in the summer hols for the last few years, this year the prices seem higher than ever by quite a bit. And my friends holiday has literally doubled, for the same fortnight :(

Isn't it horrible when your kids are at the age where you wonder how many more holidays you've got together?

Last edited:
My kids are young so I can still get away with taking them out of school for a few days (got told off by the headteacher though). We're going 4 days before half term and going those few days later would've cost an extra £500. To us that's the difference between affording it and not. Absolutely ridiculous. But yes when we were looking at them they were so expensive compared to when we went 18 months ago. I think they're taking advantage of the fact that schools aren't allowed to authorise holiday any more.

We are taking the kids to a Thomson holiday village in Costa Del sol. Our holiday is £3668 for 2 adults and 2 kids departing last week of july.

If we had gone 3 days later our holiday would of gone up by 1k due to the summer hols starting. We will be fined £120 for them leaving school 2 days early but thats better than the price hike on the holiday.

Prices rocket in the holidays. Its rediculous.

We are booking disney land florida for next year and that is costing 8k just for 3 weeks. Holidays are alot more expensive these days.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes we are, and yes they are lol

One daughter doing GCSE's another doing A levels so september right out, but would be nice apart from that. They rob you rotten, as my nan used to say :)

But we've been in the summer hols for the last few years, this year the prices seem higher than ever by quite a bit. And my friends holiday has literally doubled, for the same fortnight :(

Isn't it horrible when your kids are at the age where you wonder how many more holidays you've got together?

Not too many more probably, they will want to go away with friends as they get older. My daughter refused to come away with us from the age of 15 - that was her choice. I must admit not being a child lover I couldn't think of anything worse these days than sitting in a hotel full of screaming kids..I'd rather not go... ha ha...and I certainly wouldn't pay double for the privilege!!

Not too many more probably, they will want to go away with friends as they get older. My daughter refused to come away with us from the age of 15 - that was her choice. I must admit not being a child lover I couldn't think of anything worse these days than sitting in a hotel full of screaming kids..I'd rather not go... ha ha...and I certainly wouldn't pay double for the privilege!!

Well, you just don't know how to have fun ! Having sand kicked on you, being dragged into the sea or pool, when you don't want to go, having tea time with the kids, when you could be sipping cocktails on the terrace looking at the boring scenery :lol:

I've got to renew my passport before we can think about going abroad, really don't like spending thousands on something that only lasts 2 weeks, I'm bah humbug about holidays as some people are about Christmas !

Well, you just don't know how to have fun ! Having sand kicked on you, being dragged into the sea or pool, when you don't want to go, having tea time with the kids, when you could be sipping cocktails on the terrace looking at the boring scenery :lol:

I've got to renew my passport before we can think about going abroad, really don't like spending thousands on something that only lasts 2 weeks, I'm bah humbug about holidays as some people are about Christmas !

Ha Ha Ha Winnie...Boring scenery, I love it! ha. I have no problem spending thousands on anything to be honest! I travelled around the world so much for work that a holiday became a chore. You wouldn't believe me if I told you the amount of times I have cut holidays and weekend breaks short just to come home I gave up trying to pretend booking holidays was the right thing to do- sometimes it felt that my house was a holiday home as I was never in it. It's not too bad these days but every few weeks I'm launched out of my house to travel somewhere!..

I'm with you on that, I only do it because the other half gets really cranky if we don't go away but I can think of loads of things I'd rather spend all that money on, you know like the house we have to spend the other 50 weeks of the year living in :rolleyes:

I do know what you mean about 2 weeks and its gone......but I kind of look at it as making memories, which you can keep forever. We've had lots of brilliant family holidays, citybreaks, camping, beach hols etc and loads of memories to look back on, I'm greedy, I just want a few more :lol: The only bad thing there's ever been about our holidays is when hubby (driver) and me (navigator) start arguing - (can someone tell me WHY men will never stop the car and ask for directions??) - thats the only blip though:rolleyes:

@ Nails<3 who's fining you £120? Is that the school? As you say, still worth it...

Blinking extortionate, holidays! Im £5.6k for the 6 of us to go to Egypt. I need a new bathroom, but.... when the kids are older I want them to remember the fun times not the fact we never got anywhere cos mum wanted a new ****e pot.

Ps. I also prefer two weeks of luxury ;-)

Yes I have 2 kids 2.5 years & 9 we are doing a week AI, to Morrocco & it's costing us £2,300 which is mad

2015 were off to Florida booking it in April when the flights come out for 3 weeks, dreading the cost & reckon I'm looking at about £8000 &#128513;

@ Nails<3 who's fining you £120? Is that the school? As you say, still worth it...[/QUOTE]

Yes £60 per child for pulling them out early. Its a joke but happy to pay it if it saves me a whole lot more x

Wondering if anyone is comparing there holiday prices.

Travel supermarket, ice lolly, travel republic and fleet away are all really good. Also booking everything separately will also save you 100's.

This year is working out the same for us. Except our Ennio Morricone tickets in Lajatico &#128541;

I get six weeks holiday from my full time job as a dental nurse which is great BUT because my boss is a family man they're set holidays and always during school holidays. My husband and I wanted to book one last holiday abroad together at Easter before trying for a baby but the prices were ridiculous! Comparing it to week before or after Easter some holidays were double in price!
We've booked a cosy cottage in the Lake District instead as it cost considerably less. So may so get the sun and pool but we'll be together for a whole week and it'll be so pretty. Romantic nights in front of the log burner I'm thinking :)

Try having a look at on the beach for holidays. There's only 2 of us when we go but our prices are never anywhere near that! In the next few weeks we will be booking to go to Florida for 2 weeks in August/September and it's only costing just a wee but more than our 2 weeks in Tenerife September past. Definitely compare rather that book through the usual big travel agents.

Vicki :) xx

Have a look on hotukdeals! Its like a forum where everyone gives each other a heads up on any bargain they find!

This week i saw shared on their fb page, week holiday (somewhere sunny i remember that much lol) for 2 flights and hotel under £250. Thought that was rather well priced! No use to me though as i dont have a passport (neither do my kids) and they're too young for anywhere to feel like a holiday yet haha

Hope this site helps a geek or 2 out though :) xx

Sent from my LG-E430 using SalonGeek mobile app

What I do is keep looking throughout a few months and pin point a few hotels I like. Say I'm going in September I would book in January. Pay a deposit to secure the price. Then you can pay bits of it off as full money not needed until a the summer. Plus I use company's like Thomas cook, Thomson and first choice as the price you see is what you get. Your baggage, transfer and tax is all included in the price you see online. As some company's you look and bye the time you ring to book they keep adding bits and bobs that you have t have (like baggage, transfer etc) and it doubles to the price of the more well know places anyway x

Try having a look at on the beach for holidays. There's only 2 of us when we go but our prices are never anywhere near that! In the next few weeks we will be booking to go to Florida for 2 weeks in August/September and it's only costing just a wee but more than our 2 weeks in Tenerife September past. Definitely compare rather that book through the usual big travel agents.

Vicki :) xx

I did search the hotels through most of the companies mentioned, i was surprised that by the time you work out what the flight would be booked seaprately, theres barely any difference ... and if you go with say Thomsons the flight prices are less than halved by doing the package and of course the transfer is thrown in as well.

I think as someone said, they are absolutely milking the fact that we are now not really allowed (to the point of having to pay a penalty to the school) to take kids out...although if you are going to take them out, I should imagine the last week in july is the best week to do it, we only used to muck about and play games to pass the time lol (yes i know that was a long time ago!)

Yes which is why I'm not going this year, boo hoo :'( I can't afford the prices anymore!!

Latest posts

Back