Is Hot Stone Massage yey or ney?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice to see we have started a good discussion:green:

I have found hot stones have been creeping back in popularity at my salon, normally i might do one or two a week but looking at my book on average am doing 3-4 per week.

I havent been engaging them in marketing or promotions, so I know their popularity isnt because of that.

Yes I would say from me they have been worth training in and I do enjoy giving a hot stone massage very much.

tigi
xx

Thanks for all the fab comments and advice Geeks.I think I will book myself in nearer the end of the year and go with Hot Stones. I already have swedish, aromatherapy and Indian Head qualifications (vtct level 3), and anatomy and physiology, but how long did you geeks need to really get to grips with hot stones? I have never massaged 'with' anything other than my bare hands before, so it will be strange for me. I do a lot of massage, and have found my thumbs getting sore, so being able to give them a break would be lovely!! I also like the fact they can be worked into other treatments such as facials and mani/pedi's. I just wasn't sure if they were in or out xx

I think that if you have a passion for the treatment & enjoy doing it, you will do well with it regardless of whether it's 'in' or not.

I've done 4 of my Cocoa Rose Facials this week & all four have re-booked which is very unusual for me as I haven't previously done very well with regulars for facials. I know I'm biased in that my products are good but that aside, it must be my enthusiasm for the treatment which has rubbed off onto the client.

If you love something, your clients will :)

Thanks for all the fab comments and advice Geeks.I think I will book myself in nearer the end of the year and go with Hot Stones. I already have swedish, aromatherapy and Indian Head qualifications (vtct level 3), and anatomy and physiology, but how long did you geeks need to really get to grips with hot stones? I have never massaged 'with' anything other than my bare hands before, so it will be strange for me. I do a lot of massage, and have found my thumbs getting sore, so being able to give them a break would be lovely!! I also like the fact they can be worked into other treatments such as facials and mani/pedi's. I just wasn't sure if they were in or out xx

with your experience of massage it dosent take long too get used to the stones. you learn very quickly to adapt your own massage moves with the stones. it will save your thumbs alot. good luck with it. its always good to add in new things. :)

like anything its practise practise practise.
when you first start its like massaging with oven gloves on, then suddenly.....it clicks.
As mentioned before in answer to Izzi's comments, I work with various tools, stones, shells, bamboo, sticks, compresses, metal bowls, crystals and once you've got over the fact you aren't relying on your hands for sensation, you find it a lot easier to go with the appendage to your hands.

I find that students often "click" with the stones within hours of working with them.

It's fab, all my regular massage clients changed to this as soon as I started as they found the hot stones a lot more beneficial. And to make it not just a luxurious one off sort of treatment, I do just a back massage in it so most people have it once a month.

I would also say once people have tried one, 90% rebook another as they love it so much!!

Don't bother with the hot stone heater, my £20 tesco slow cooker has done me two years so far!!

It's fab, all my regular massage clients changed to this as soon as I started as they found the hot stones a lot more beneficial. And to make it not just a luxurious one off sort of treatment, I do just a back massage in it so most people have it once a month.

I would also say once people have tried one, 90% rebook another as they love it so much!!

Don't bother with the hot stone heater, my £20 tesco slow cooker has done me two years so far!!

I have a slow cooker which i have used in the past for hotstones for personal use at home but it was pointed out to me the other day that it may cause issues if ever an insurance claim was made if this type of heater was used for professional use, just something to maybe have a think on? maybe not a problem if you check with your insurance company, they maybe just concerned that you use a thermometer to check the temp within the unit? ;):hug:

Latest posts

Back