Is it good to be different?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fats28

Reaction score
I don't want to this to turn in to a which company is better than which argument, thats not what I'm driving at before we start!!

Where I live I can't think of any salon anywhere, or mobile for that matter that doesnt use Creative. Thats great Creative are a well respected company and their products are highly thought of.

I've had to put my nail training back to the summer due to various commitments, Creative HQ is just up the road so they seemed the natural choice. However I then got to thinking would it give an edge if I went say Ez-flow or whoever, you know something different in the marketplace.

So whats your view geeks, go with the pack or stand out from the crowd?

I think alot of it is the area you live in. I mean where I live people are just advertised as nail techs rather than creative nail techs etc. I think some clients wouldn't understand what creative / ezflow / nsi means so might not go looking for it x x x

Thats a good point, maybe the public don't care.

It got me think as when I was starting price lists etc, I went and got a few from round and about to see what everyone did and how much for & they were all offering the same services with the same products.

When I starting looking into training I was thinking about training with another company as the 2 salon near me are both creative so did have the same worries as you ie wanting to be that bit different.

I did my research (I wasn't a geek then) spoke to many companies, and did think about OPI aswell, but still went with creative as I knew the products and had a great reputation, I don't think I went 'with the pack' I chose wiser in my view.

I'm sure there is a lot of difference in all creative technician's work, you can make your self stand out from the other's near you just my educating yourself to the highest standard and worrying to much about others around you, market yourself to stand out from the crowd.

There are many companies which offer top-notch training and education and I'm all for that, but I believe that if joe-public just wants a set of nails at the end of the day, they will go wherever is convenient.

On the other hand, there are many clients who have been educated along the way and will therefore request a specific service or product.

There are lots of good product companies out there, and lots of good training - both independant and product-based. What you have to remember is that YOU are the important person to your Clients - IMO the product is secondary.

When you go to the hairdresser - what brand of colour/shampoo/conditioner is used on you - not many of us know or care, but we would change stylist in an instant if she was rubbish and did not give us the result we wanted.

If only one product was any good, then that would be the only one on the market - but there are loads to choose from. As for education, well that's a minefield in itself.

When you get replies here, and people say to train with "whoever" (and I mean "whoever") because they are "the best" - ask them on what they base their statements - more often than not they have only trained with one or two companies and are in no position to judge from the wide market available. Opinions are made as statements, and newbies mislead. What suits someone else may not suit you.

What is needed is an INDEPENDANT bodythat people such as yourselves could contact to obtain information on all training and products available in an unbiased form. Then you could make your own choice.

Most of us have made very expensive mistakes in the early days through lack of access to information, and a lot of us blame the products we train on as being inferior and move on to something else only to realise later that it was OURSELVES that was the problem - not the product!

I personally would not be so blinkered or insecure that I claimed only one product or one form of training was worthwhile - the problem you have as a newbie is one of making an informed choice and whatever you decide - I hope it is everything you want it to be.

Loads of techs happily use loads of brands on this site - and have trained happily with different companies - Best of luck!!

I think you should do your research as you are doing. It is neither correct nor incorrect to go with the flow or stand out from the crowd.

There are lots of different companies out there with varying levels of quality in training and products but it is not as easy as the cheapest being the worst and the most expensive being the best. I too have made some expensive mistakes but in the end I came full circle LOL.

If at the end of the day you decided to go with your gut instinct then this will be right for you and you should not be ashamed to stand up for your choice.

I totally agree with keeping your mind open.

For instance when you go to by a perfume you want to test it first...(kind of research in a way!)....not just buy outright because lots of people say that it's great. You have your own tastes, as much as you have your own choice in who you want to be trained with.
And even if you choose a product that isn't as well known as others, doesn't make it wrong.
Just keep your eyes open and research in to why people think a product is great. Then........it's up to you!!!

Good luck!!:)

I think you should also not do different training just to be different from those around you, after looking into everything you are right to make your own mind up and pick who you think will be best for youself x x x

While it's definately best to seek training with better educators, and in your best interest to choose a company with good products that stands behind their products, giving full support; it's not the brand that will set you apart as a tech or a salon.

It's you.

As said, most don't know what's being used on them. Nor do they care.
They simply want good nails, great service and a price that suits them.

I think choosing a company differing from what's in your area to set you apart is a mistake. That's not what you should focus on, to 'set you apart' from others.
When choosing your training and your products, focus on the TRAINING and the quality of the PRODUCTS, NOT their name.
Looking to be different just for the sake of being different is the wrong reason to choose a different education and product line.

To set yourself apart, look at the standards and the services provided at other salons. And make the differences there.

Offer different business hours, different services, different prices, different style of salon, etc....

hth's

look at the amount of clients that go to NSS....... do they care. How educated are the public ? It's not really about product, it's about the work you produce...... judging by the amount of clients in NSS, they don't care about that either.
Using a good product will give you the credibility associated with that company, there are many credible products.

Latest posts

Back